Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 11:10 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,416,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
So to follow your logic...if a DUI law is new or different than another
state does that need to be followed???

I never said the kid was "bad" just that the kid and parents were very
irresponsible in this situation.
I do not need a law to tell me if something is right or not, that is basic ethics right there.

I was asking were you mad because the law was broke or because he was endangered? That is all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 11:14 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,416,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeg26 View Post
There wasn't a need for this type of law 20 years ago. There IS a need for it now! Also, most teens didn't have their own car OR the freedom they do now. I know I didn't! My parents had rules when I took the car, and I followed them. My licence was good until 11pm (by law). My curfew was 10pm, and believe me, I was home or I wouldn't be driving for months!!

In my group of friends, if one of us knew that this had happened, we all would have gotten a phone call. If my child was one of the other kids in that car, I hope someone would tell me. IMO.

What these parents AND kids did was wrong. They broke the law, and the parents were irresponsible with the lives of other peoples children when they allowed their kid to do it!! I'd be so p*ssed off!
So you are saying that because of irresponsible parents there is a need for this law now?

Age restrictions have gone up through the years, I got my license when I was 14 with no restrictions, now in the same state it is 16.

I disagree with the freedom part, I think kids are more restricted now days than ever. As far as the cars go, depends were you are from, where I lived, everyone drove, it was part of the culture.

An unjust law is no law, guess who said that? I give points for the original and the famous person who made the quote famous.

Old 06-08-2008, 07:37 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
So you are saying that because of irresponsible parents there is a need for this law now?

Age restrictions have gone up through the years, I got my license when I was 14 with no restrictions, now in the same state it is 16.

I disagree with the freedom part, I think kids are more restricted now days than ever. As far as the cars go, depends were you are from, where I lived, everyone drove, it was part of the culture.

An unjust law is no law, guess who said that? I give points for the original and the famous person who made the quote famous.
What I think you're missing is the reason the law was put in place. Kids were/are DYING at a record rate due to car crashes. Now when I was 15 that wasn't such an issue since there was less traffic, fewer kids had cars and fewer kids had the freedom to run that the kids have now.
When we lived in GA (one of the first states to have a restricted license) kids were getting killed and/or maimed at a pace of about 4 a week due to auto crashes. This was deemed intolorable and rightly so! The solution was a restricted license and it seems the death toll has dropped. I like many others would rather have our son with a restricted license than be paying for a funeral.
As for the OP, my son would have paid a penalty as well. He knows the status of his friends drivers license since he's the same age and I expect him not to get in a car when it's wrong, be it license issues,drunk friends,drugs or just a plain unsafe driver. What if his friend stole the car? I expect my son to know these things so he doesn't go to jail or get killed.
As for the parents of the "embarassed" child, I wonder if they have a clue about THEIR legal liability in this. If that child had crashed THEY would have lost everything and been in debt for the rest of their days. I'd imagine they also could be charged with child endangerment for knowingly allowing their child to do it. I'd also imagine if their insurance carrier found out they'd have something to say as well.
I know that'd be the last time my son rode with that kid being the poor judgement shown, it makes you wonder what will happen if alchohol is ever involved.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:37 AM

631 posts, read 2,446,371 times
When my daughter hung out with good kids, I was friends with the parents and they were involved in sports, camping, traveling(always wanted to take my daughter with them) and worldly stuff like taking exchange students in and helping in the schools and overseas. LIfe was good and happy.

Since my daughter started picking trouble kids to hang with which started at the getting the drivers license ages, I've found myself dealing with irresponsible parents .
Life turned bad. Her role models are their parents and I'm the uncool mom who doesn't "get it" .

See a connection here?

Schools are afraid to dicipline as parents calling lawyers or foul play on schools if they dicipline which makes matters worse.

I think if the parents are going to be irresponsible don't let your kid go with their kids. You can't train the other parents.

I tried and tried to be more involved with my daughter, but single mom, worked allot and my own coddling mother who covered for her all the time if she went with the friends with bad parents. That's my excuse and we're all paying the price for it now.

I have my son to try to get it right this time.

I'm saying no to irresponsible parents.

Old 06-08-2008, 01:39 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeperk View Post
When my daughter hung out with good kids, I was friends with the parents and they were involved in sports, camping, traveling(always wanted to take my daughter with them) and worldly stuff like taking exchange students in and helping in the schools and overseas. LIfe was good and happy.

Since my daughter started picking trouble kids to hang with which started at the getting the drivers license ages, I've found myself dealing with irresponsible parents .
Life turned bad. Her role models are their parents and I'm the uncool mom who doesn't "get it" .

See a connection here?

Schools are afraid to dicipline as parents calling lawyers or foul play on schools if they dicipline which makes matters worse.

I think if the parents are going to be irresponsible don't let your kid go with their kids. You can't train the other parents.

I tried and tried to be more involved with my daughter, but single mom, worked allot and my own coddling mother who covered for her all the time if she went with the friends with bad parents. That's my excuse and we're all paying the price for it now.

I have my son to try to get it right this time.

I'm saying no to irresponsible parents.
I agree with the parent thing. That being said, don't be too hard on yourself Keeperk. We all make mistakes and sometimes have to do what we have to do to keep our heads above water which means sometimes our families will suffer.
I always try and remember that kids don't come with instruction manuals so we're learning as we go and as such will error now and again.

Old 06-08-2008, 03:09 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
Kid get in different kids of trouble now days. But they also seem to get caught more becasue theydon't seem to bother much with getting away with things. many don't have any fear or respect for their parents it seems.

Old 06-08-2008, 03:18 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,297,796 times
This sounds like my son's friend's mom. My son is younger. Hers is older and has a tattoo gun. I don't care that he has a tattoo gun if he wants to use it on himself, whatever. He wants to do this professionally and is always practicing on melons and whatnot.

Of course it was made VERY CLEAR that MY son was not to come home with any "artwork" (my son is 16).

Sure enough he came home with a little crappy tattoo on his ankle. He told me about it when he'd been home an hour and was full of regret and apologizing. He is normally a VERY good kid and never in trouble. It appears this was a big "duh" moment.

He is in a good deal of trouble.. but on the other hand, the other kid actually DID the tattoo and he knew very well my "orders" on the subject, but when I mentioned the whole thing to his mom I get "Why are you blaming MY SON?"

Arrgh. I was actually blaming them both for their stupidity.. but she got very bent out of shape about how her kid shouldn't have any of the "blame" here. Oh, so my 16 year old held a gun to his head and said "tattoo me!"?? Puhlease. My son's not allowed to hang out over there for a long time.. if ever. She's mad at me for this!

Old 06-09-2008, 12:06 AM

631 posts, read 2,446,371 times
I tried to have an adult conversation with the sister of the other grandma of my grandbaby. Her daughter is in my son's class and started harrasing him about "giving his family away". It was very hurtful to my son. She started it up again. So I called the mom about it to get it resolved and stopped, and sure enough all I got was trailer park trash talk about the way I raised my kids and she was very defensive about her daughter. All the blame was on my son of course. Another Thank you daughter for forcing me to have to deal with trash people in my life!!!
All I could say was I expected that from the likes of you. Just could not help myself and sunk to her level.
It's so frustrating dealing with parents who refuse to accept or even talk about responsiblity! Their default is protect the kids and point the blame elsewhere.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:21 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,371,643 times
Quote:

Irresponsible parents and kids alike!

Kids are more restricted by laws, but from what I see, not by parents! A lot of parents are not paying attention to what their kids are doing, or just don't care. I'm not sure which. A lot of kids are not responsible enough for the freedom they have, and it shows.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:16 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,269,794 times
Quote:
Its not that the kid is bad, it is just the law made it out like they are.

Would you have had a problem with this 10 or 20 years ago when there was no such law?

What if you lived in a state without the law, would it have bothered you?

Are you mad because someone broke the law? Or because your kid was with someone that age driving?
Some of what you're saying is reasonable. I know when I got my license 14 years ago (damn i'm getting old) that we had as much freedom to drive as any adult (at least in my state). In a lot of ways it may not have been a good thing but there wasn't all this can only have certain types and numbers of passengers and can only drive at certain times of the day. I think some of it is pretty silly honestly.

BUT....a law is a law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
My 16 year old spends the night at a friends house and asked if he could
go to the movies with this friend driving. I said yes then later called the dad to ask who the other kid was that went. Found out that his kid did not have a license yet to drive after 9 or to have more than 1 kid in the car.(they had 5 total)
I told the dad I would go get my child because I did not want him in that situation. At the theater the boy told me he didn't know he did not have
his "after 9" (this is what we call the provisional stage one license)
I told him it was his responsibility to know and that his parents should also
know and be sure he is following the law.
The next day his mom calls me and I am expecting an apology. She is mad I "embarressed " her son and said she wanted me to know that
they do know the rules. I said "then that makes it worse to transport
other peoples kids knowingly and unlawfully"
makes me wonder what other laws they do not think are meant to be followed.
I wanted to say that when he has a wreck speeding it will be because they taught him to disobey the laws.

I don't understand. If they knew the laws and they knew the type of license he had then why did they let him go ahead with it? And I don't understand why you were to blame for what was clearly their mistake. His parent's should be embarrased also for knowingly allowing their son to break the law. Did the father witness 5 kids getting into the car? Or did they possibly get sneaky and two of them drive away and pick the other three up around the corner? What time was the movie going to end? Before 9?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting