Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 09:21 PM

603 posts, read 2,340,107 times

Advertisements

You elementary teachers are so lucky! High school teachers do not get gifts. The only thing we got during Teacher Appreciation week was a pancake breakfast on one day. It usually doesn't bother me, but this year I found myself buying gifts for my daughter's kindergarten teacher during Teacher Appreciation week and at the end of the year. It made me wonder why kindergarten teachers are appreciated more than senior English teachers. I helped those students graduate from high school-- a note or a plant would have been nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 09:30 PM

895 posts, read 4,249,467 times
I am a former teacher and am now a SAHM. My absolute favorite gift I ever got as a teacher was a check that was sent to me in the mail during Christmas break by a family. I was so appreciative because it gave me the opportunity to spend it on whatever I wanted (at that time, I was just out of college and I put it towards my student loan payment that month) versus being forced to use a gift certificate, etc. This is a personal preference. When I mentioned cash, I should have written that it was actually going to be a mastercard/visa gift card so that the teacher can buy herself whatever she wants and isn't obligated to a specific store (it's semantics anyway--does it really matter -- cash or gift certificate as other posters have written). I thought it was interesting that people kept referring to the word "bribe" with an end of year school gift. At this point, how is it a bribe?

Old 06-16-2008, 09:31 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
I have an embroidery machine and extensively make gifts with it. One year I gave the teachers and the retiring principal personalized bath hand towels. Had to do a little bit of research on their bathroom colors and preferences but it was so worth it. The school mascot was a yellow bumblebee...I embroidered a hand towel with a bumble bee and the inscription "Bee My Guest" for her guest bath. It's inexpensive, and very personal.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:15 PM

1 posts, read 4,461 times
I am trying to think of something! I dont think my daughter would go 4 the potted plant thing! She is in 6th grade. I dont have lots of time!!! HELP!!!!!

Old 05-19-2009, 06:16 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,049,009 times
I coach comp. gymnastics and this year, for the end of the season, the parents and kiddos got together and got me the zaniest, funniest, and sweetest gift! Along with a beautiful Myrtlewood plaque, and a gift certificate, they got super creative!! Some of the parents/kids got heads togeather, and wrote up a short little song/poem. They then had it delivered to the gym w/balloons and hoopla of a singing telegram!!! OMG! was that unexpected and something I'll never ever ever in my life forget! The kids all loved it too, they thought it was about the best thing ever. Especially to see my reaction! lol Anyhow, so now Im thinkin....maybe especially for a retiring teacher, this might be really fun to get together with some other parents and do.....
sure is memorable.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:22 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,234,312 times
an apple

Old 05-26-2009, 04:57 PM

1 posts, read 4,433 times
I must say... after 13 years of teaching- the gifts I hate the most are the last minute- run to the drugstore and get a "teacher" mug filled with candy. The gifts I love the most are the ones the children actually make. I have received a decorated jar- filled with candy but can have many uses later, a painted wooden apple- that was very cute because my favorite student ever painted it for me, gifts like these are what teachers appreciate. We can all go to our favorite store and buy what we need and go to dinner most anytime- but to know a child loves and appreciates what we do for them each day means so much more!! My daughter is painting pictures on canvases for her teachers this year. And the children love knowing they are doing something for their teachers... not last minute gifts mom picked up!!!

Old 05-31-2011, 12:17 PM

1 posts, read 3,306 times
i am looking for a poem, about 4-8 lines from years back. it was cute and said something about now the school year is over, sit back relax and have a drink on me. you gave the poem with a gift bag containing a cute drink glass and something to drink. i gave soda's to my teachers but the person that gave it to me gave it with a pre mixed drink

Old 06-01-2011, 03:27 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I usually thanked the teacher in person. The only time I gave a gift was when an overachieving room mother cornered me into donating for a group gift. I think it was some kind of plant.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:44 PM

7 posts, read 32,009 times
For my daughter's Pre-K teachers, we got lightweight plastic pots on which she wrote "Thank you for helping me grow" with paint pens. (Not really an original idea, I know.) Then we filled them with the following items and note. I also know they're HUGE fans of our local college, so I bought them cute little belt clips from a local boutique with that insignia to attach their name badges. Here's our items and note:
Thank you for helping me grow this year in Pre-K!
We’ve gathered a few things to show our appreciation . . .
A pair of gloves since you always lend a helping hand!
A wind chime since this year has blown me away!
An aqua globe since you always foster a thirst for learning!
A packet of seeds since you’ve planted the seed of knowledge!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting