Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you say the same things to your kids that your parents said to you?
yes, it's a natural reflex 20 42.55%
no 6 12.77%
sometimes 21 44.68%
other (will leave it in a comment) 0 0%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 08:37 AM

634 posts, read 1,420,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
My mom would always ask if we thought money grew on trees, we'd always say yes, because money was made of paper and paper comes from trees...

I said yes to that once, and dad said ''well fine then, go pick me a few hundreds and we'll take the trip''.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 07:46 AM

12,420 posts, read 3,232,082 times
[quote=5kingsinvegas;4255611]"No dessert if you don't finish your dinner. There are, after all, starving children in ________ (insert country, it was China when I was growing up)"

My father was just the opposite. He would always get us to try everything, but he'd say,"If you don't like it, spit it out. But just try it." He used to say it was polite to always leave a little something on your plate. My parents were much older than those of my friends, but they were so much more progressive.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:11 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,869,300 times
My father had a rule... If you can't play together you CLEAN together... if he caught us fighting he would start with the dreaded GARAGE... we had to clean it from top to bottom... If we faught while we cleaned he would stick his head into the garage and say "When you are done with that come see me" and then we would have another job... until we stopped fighting...

My playroom now stays clean for the same reason... except when I told my father I was doing this he was annoyed with me that I would do that to his poor grandchildren! WHAT??!!??

The other thing I usually use when they say SHE TOLD ME TO DO IT is... "If your sister told you to play in traffic would you?"

There are many other things I do but I would be here all day typing...

Old 07-02-2008, 12:52 PM

39 posts, read 138,021 times
"Because I'm the Mom, that's why!"

Old 08-29-2010, 08:01 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,252,625 times
All of these were said in my childhood home, but I took wicked joy out of using some of them with a twist -- the ones where my answer is teal!

"No dessert if you don't finish your dinner. There are, after all, starving children in ________ (insert country, it was China when I was growing up)" Nope.

"Don't make me stop this car!" Yes! We were on a trip in a long-ago July. We were all hot, they were cranky, and we had an extra person along -- a teenager, and she was getting tired of the fussing, too, so she fussed back. I warned them once, "Do I have to stop this car?" My children had never heard that before, but they figured out that I was irritated and settled down -- for five minutes. Then "I mean it! Do i have to stop this car?!?" They settled down again, but they started up again! They were so busy fussing that they didn't see the big billboard telling about the water park! I slammed on the brakes, pulled off into the gravel parking lot, went to the back door, and slid it open with a bang. "Everybody OUT!" I said loudly and "angrily." My poor little bears' eyes were so big! The teen was in shock! Then I said loudly, "To the water park!" They snapped back into reality and took off running! That was all they needed! We played a little while, then got back in the camper and they were just fine until we stopped for the night! Hee-hee!

"Wait 'til your father gets home!" But unlike Mother, Father was easier on me -- I knew it would be lite.

"Are you trying to cool the whole city down?" When I held the refrigerator door open too long.

"Do I need to come up there?" Father. A couple times. Well, yeah, we each got spankings.

"Settle down!" Father. So we would be quieter, but not before we wiggled to the ground like a snake, saying, "S-s-s-s-s-s!" with a laugh. he would smile, then we'd be quieter.

"Because I said so!" I thought I would never say this, but I did probably four or five times, and it gave me great satisfaction.

"This hurts me more than it hurts you." Never believe that, child! Never. Ever!

"When you have your own children, you'll pay! They'll be just like you!" Mother said that a lot. Well, I grew up, had children, and if they "made me pay," I must have been an absolute angel! But I know I wasn't! Hm-m-m-m.

"Look what you made me do!" Unhhhh. Don't say that. Please.

"You're sitting there until you eat every bite -- I don't care if it's all night!" I tried that but had pity. Never could go through with it. Besides, that makes overweight adults!

". . . and it's your fault!" I only used this one after, "I love you!" As in "I love you, and it's All Your Fault!" Still saying it to them and now to the grandchildren. I love the twist on these words.

"Because I'm the Mom, that's why!" Saved these words for last, because I saved them for when they wree adults, too. Used when I wanted to do them some favor that I knew they would try to reject. Kind of like, "I am paying your family's way this time because I'm the mom!"
Ah, children are a blessing. Where would we be without them????

Old 08-29-2010, 08:45 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelcroQueen View Post

"Are you trying to cool the whole city down?" When I held the refrigerator door open too long.
My mom was a big fan of "We aren't air-conditioning the whole neighborhood" When the sliding door was left open in the summer.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:55 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
I have absolutely said "because I said so"....

I have also said "don't make me stop this car" once or twice...

I can also remember hearing "If everyone else was going to jump off a bridge would you do it too?" or "But I'm not "everyone else's" mom"...both in response to not getting to do what "everyone else" was doing or getting...I don't remember using the bridge thing but for sure I've said I'm not everyone else's mom....

Old 08-29-2010, 08:58 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,378 times
The two I inherited from my mother are "I don't have to tell you why. I'm the adult." and "Stop bickering!" My sister and I are the only two parents I know who use the word "bicker" regularly.

I like "if you can't play together, you can clean together," and I may use it to get some closets taken care of!

Old 08-29-2010, 09:49 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times

YouTube - Anita Renfroe | William Tell Momisms | Official Version

This pretty much sums it up....

Old 08-29-2010, 10:15 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,252,625 times
WOOHOO!!!
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting