Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 08:44 AM

181 posts, read 631,791 times

Advertisements

I know many famiiles have gone through this and I would have to say it was one of the most upsetting time I have had in Mother hood. I had 4 children and then when into Foster care. Those 4 kids never got head lice. We had one child come into our home at the time we had 9 kids here. She was here 3 weeks before I knew she had lice as I never really saw it. I had worked with kids in daycare, preschools and things but never got it or saw it. In those three weeks I had my birthday so my older kids came home and we had a get together. One day I saw her inching her head and looked again m she had dark hair so I didn't see anything before and then I saw a bunch of bugs. I slapped cooking oil on her head and took everyone else I could get in the car to the health department. My two older kids were still in town and a friend of theirs. After being checked another child in the home and yes ME had lice. out of the 11 people living here I guess we we were lucky to just have the child who had it and two others. I was so grossed out and my husband had to go through my hair. This was on a Tuesday I saw it in her hair by Friday we went back and we were clean. It was so upsetting and soo expensive. We call it lice feast 2007.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 11:10 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,487,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reese7 View Post
I know many famiiles have gone through this and I would have to say it was one of the most upsetting time I have had in Mother hood. I had 4 children and then when into Foster care. Those 4 kids never got head lice. We had one child come into our home at the time we had 9 kids here. She was here 3 weeks before I knew she had lice as I never really saw it. I had worked with kids in daycare, preschools and things but never got it or saw it. In those three weeks I had my birthday so my older kids came home and we had a get together. One day I saw her inching her head and looked again m she had dark hair so I didn't see anything before and then I saw a bunch of bugs. I slapped cooking oil on her head and took everyone else I could get in the car to the health department. My two older kids were still in town and a friend of theirs. After being checked another child in the home and yes ME had lice. out of the 11 people living here I guess we we were lucky to just have the child who had it and two others. I was so grossed out and my husband had to go through my hair. This was on a Tuesday I saw it in her hair by Friday we went back and we were clean. It was so upsetting and soo expensive. We call it lice feast 2007.
Welcome to the real world! Lice have been around as long as there have been humans. Although they present a threat to the human ego, they pose no health threat whatsoever to humans. [besides the head getting tender from scratching] As long as children congregate this will be a problem.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:57 PM

515 posts, read 1,558,147 times
Of our five children, four have had it, and for some reason, two of them are prone to get it. I had it as a kid, and again when our last infestation occurred. Hubby has never had it.

I agree... it's just part of having kids.

~D

Old 07-04-2008, 01:02 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,870,333 times
I am a teacher... we had a huge problem with it in the school one year and there was a teacher with very long beautifully thick hair. She got it three times from her students. On the third round she literally shaved her head! She couldn't handle it anymore. She was losing her mind and was spending so much money to get rid of it. She said she would rather shave her head and know she was lice free for the rest of the year than to have to do it all over again.

Old 07-04-2008, 02:36 PM

603 posts, read 2,340,107 times
When I was a teacher in an emergency child shelter for kids in state custody, I had a student who couldn't seem to get rid of lice. During one of her outbreaks, she hugged me from behind and put her lice-infected head on my long hair. My sister had to comb the lice out of my hair. Luckily, it's the only time I've gotten it.

Old 07-04-2008, 02:59 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,105,303 times
reese7, don't you feel that the most enjoyable reality of living is that we get to choose, at every moment of our lives, what to spend our energies on, and what to not spend our energies on? -- and we get to choose giving ourselves, and everyone around us, nourishing energies instead of destructive energies?

Since most situations, like lice, are easily changed, aren't we giving ourselves our best lives when we treat the situations, and ourselves, with the relaxation and happiness we deserve? How we feel matters; how we nourish ourselves by choosing how we feel matters. Most everything else is just details, eh?

Old 07-04-2008, 05:25 PM

947 posts, read 3,140,052 times
What exactly is lice and how do kids get it?

Old 07-04-2008, 05:30 PM

947 posts, read 3,140,052 times
Just found another post on it and it answered my questions. Mom's are remarkable!

Old 07-04-2008, 05:35 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,215,139 times
I got them once when doing volunteer work at a migrant clinic. With a magnifying glass, they do actually look like crabs. They didn't spread to my family (except my DH ), thank goodness. But they are very itchy!

Old 07-04-2008, 09:41 PM

181 posts, read 631,791 times
I have no idea what one of the posters is talkiing about. I also don't know who would think lice was relaxing and fun unless you want to carry lice for several months. I'm sorry but I don't see lice as a postive and yes it take a lot of energy to get rid of it. I'm sorry but I don't get what you are saying. When we had lice in our home it was one of the most stressful times I have had as a Mother and I'm sorry I didn't sing THe sun will come out tomorrow. I was picking eggs out of hair. There are just some stuff that are not fun and I would say lice is right up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting