Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 05:07 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,947,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
The magazine cover "It's the best feeling in the world being a mom".

Hello??? She's freakin 17.

It glorified & sensationalized the girl.

It is making it ok to be a teenager getting pregnant. It is making it look nice & easy & all pretty b/c babies are so cute & cuddly...

Her mom goes on to fill up the more pages with crap such as "She's going to be a great soccer mom".

What is this portraying to teenagers? Do teenagers have sex & get pregnant? Yep. All the time. Do we need to accept it with such a lack of responsibility? No.

Your typical 17yr old unwed mom DOES NOT go out & purcahse a new home with her boyfriend. Your typical 17yr old unwed mother does not drive a Range Rover. Your typical 17yr old unwed mom does not receive thousands of dollars for doing magazine covers.

There are hundreds of teenage girls getting pregnant every day. They have a heck of a wake up call ahead of them. Most will do AWESOME jobs as moms but it will come with a price. Look up the stats of moms under 18. It's scary. It's eye opening. It makes you want to go out & try to encourage abstinence even though you know they are going to roll their eyes at you. 99% of 17yr old moms do not have thousands in the bank to get the nanny & provide their newborn whatever they could ever want.

It was irresponsible of the Spears family to allow this cover. To give the excuse "It will cut down on paparrazi"...whatever...it's just an excuse.

I hope for her sake & the child's that there is a happy life ahead. I just wish the stupid magazine didn't put that ridiculous quote on the cover. And it spinned the article.

(ps...I was in a WalMart checkout line at 5pm on a Friday, hence why I was able to read the article & then some...)

Have the Spears done anything responsible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 09:11 AM

788 posts, read 2,111,533 times
was anyone else appalled by the fact that she looked like she belonged in a wax museum? that little girl was done up to look like a stepford wife. Poor little girl - both of them!

Old 07-17-2008, 12:04 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,871,095 times
I just hope she does better at being a mom than her sister seems to be doing Their mother seems like a total idiot. I hope parents teach their teens that while it's ok to look at someone and think they are cool, they don't have to emulate everything they do. I'm already saying that to my son and he's 8. "So and so did it." Well, you're not so and so. You need to make your own choices." I LOVE being a mom and it is the greatest thing in the world BUT it's also the hardest thing I've ever done in my life!

Old 07-17-2008, 12:35 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
yeh....like either one of them has a CLUE what it's like to be a real person.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:41 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,553,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
I speak with my wallet... no one in my household will be purchasing that or any other mag that carries a similar storyline.
Exactly! It will not make it into my kids hands...

Old 07-18-2008, 11:35 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,487,747 times
And they paid her 1.5 million!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-18-2008, 10:15 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
Why blame Jamie Lynn for taking 1.5 million--blame the magazine company for paying it, and then printing the stupid story. The baby is cute though.

Old 07-19-2008, 10:08 PM

64 posts, read 189,769 times
1.5 mil is a hell of a lot of diapers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting