Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2008, 12:21 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,941,545 times

Advertisements

Britney Spears. Pretty much giving custody to K-Fed. Not surprised at all and the children are most likely better off. I do feel sorry for them not having their mother in their lives on a daily basis, but I believe she has other agendas and that would have adversely affected them.

She could possibly consider sterilization, now that she tried it and it didn't appeal to her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 01:20 PM

308 posts, read 1,616,898 times
Who said she doesn't have maternal instinct? She may very well know that her children would be better off with the father, and in allowing him custody of them, she may be acknowledging that what is best is not herself.

Old 07-19-2008, 01:40 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Britney Spears. Pretty much giving custody to K-Fed. Not surprised at all and the children are most likely better off. I do feel sorry for them not having their mother in their lives on a daily basis, but I believe she has other agendas and that would have adversely affected them.

She could possibly consider sterilization, now that she tried it and it didn't appeal to her.
so because she conceded to the fact she is in no position to care for her children, that means she lacks any maternal instincts at all? there may be some moms out there who have given up their kids up for adoption who later in life went on to become great moms. do we force sterilization on all women who have given up custody of their kids because they "tried it and it didn't appeal to them"? giving up your child doesn't mean you're a bad mother and lack maternal instincts

I don't think anyone here can fully judge Britney Spears, but it may be she didn't want her ongoing issues to interfere w/ her kids life, or maybe she's realize she is in fact a paparazzi magnet and doesn't want to subject her kids to that anymore. it could be that once this drama is over and done w/ and her life has stabilized, she may prove to be an excellent mom (if she was a horrible mom, they probably wouldn't have granted her extended visiting rights)

Old 07-19-2008, 08:13 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,941,545 times
Oops, I did it again...I didn't put "just kidding" after the sterilization part.

Seriously, though, I do believe that some women just don't have the maternal instinct that others that would fight for their children no matter what, do. I am not saying anything is wrong with that and I do give her kudos for recognizing it and giving that role to their father. That was my point because so many people crucify a woman for doing what she has done just by virtue of the fact that she is a woman. Not so much is said about a man doing the same.

Old 07-19-2008, 08:53 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,913,045 times
I don't keep up with Spears' entire day-to-day life, but it does seem like she's a perfect example of what can happen when you allow your teenage daughter to become a sex symbol for an entire nation. I feel bad for her because you don't end up making this many mistakes without your parents making some major mistakes before you. I suppose its possible, but I doubt it true in this case.

Old 07-19-2008, 10:39 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,540,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
so because she conceded to the fact she is in no position to care for her children, that means she lacks any maternal instincts at all? there may be some moms out there who have given up their kids up for adoption who later in life went on to become great moms.
IMO, bringing 2 children into the world who you aren't in a position to parent is completely different than recognizing you aren't in a position to parent and giving the child(ren) up for adoption to someone who is. Being responsible enough to give your child up for adoption is a noble, selfless decision. What Britney did, not so noble or selfless IMO. Children need their mother. Britney had 2 babies, tried out the parenting thing, and realized it wasn't for her so she passed them off on their Daddy. Parenting isn't something you "try out for a while", it's a life long commitment. I'm sure growing up without their mother in their lives will cause major damage to little Sean Preston and Jayden James. Completely irresponsible on Britney's part, but probably for the best. It's just too bad she couldn't have recognized this before she had 2 babies.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:44 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,377,606 times
Britney has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and she is getting help. I'm giving her mad points for trying to get her life back on track. Just based on magazines and tabloids, she is getting back into shape. Not getting 50/50 custody of her sons is best for them right now. She is fighting for them now, she just got increased visitation and overnight time with them and I believe if she continues to improve, she will get 50/50 custody. May I notice that she NEVER had full custody of her children, ever since the divorce.
She never had a chance to be a child, she was worked to death through out all her teenage years and then ended up having w/2 children of her own. How could she possibly know what to do with them? Besides she was surrounded by people who took advantage of her. She was surrounded by drugs and alcohol, what could have possibly be the trigger for her mental illness.

A lot of the times I wanted to say: "That Britney!!!! What in the world is wrong with her! She has completely lost her mind!". Until I found out that she DOES have mental disorder and a serious one.

I hope that she gets better and gets her boys back.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:19 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,800 times
Being responsible enough to give your child up for adoption is a noble, selfless decision

While those of us who chose adoption appreciate the sentiment, I view the decision I made as my first parenting choice. It has the distinction of also being one of very few I made for my baby. It was no more noble than any other choice any other mom makes in what she views as the best interest of the child

But thank you, nonetheless.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:06 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post

She isn't a grown up & lives a fantasy life b/c she can & probably doesn't no any better. Having children was a very poor decision in a line of bad decisions.

I do seriously wonder what her aptitude & emotionally capacity would be if she was tested. I doubt she is much above the age of 16.

She had parents. They could have raised her to be healthy & normal as can be in her circumstances. Too bad they sold her out when she was a little girl.

All the money in the world can't fix the severe problems in that family & now little kids are involved.

The cycle continues......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting