Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 12:00 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,732,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
like some others have said
1. does the 41 yr old know the kid is 16
2. are you sure its not a 16 yr old in the 41yr olds home sending things

I don't know if I would contact the cops I think you should do a little more research you got the guys info already do a background check and look to see if he has kids this can be done through online records. If this guy is oblivious to whats going on i.e he did not know the kid is 16, or it was his kid that sent the gift and you call the cops you just f'd his life up.
The boy belongs to a gameing "Clan" I have been monitoring his play for sometime. He is listed on the clan\group page as a minor. The person sending the gift via amazon is listed by name on the same page. A quick zabasearch turned up the same name at the same address and gave his birthdate. I do not believe that he gave out our address, Amazon says they do not give out address from the wish list. BUT I could figure out where someone lives by a few simple questions. i.e. whats the nickname of your school, where does your dad work or whats his name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 01:45 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,185,929 times
Hey...i just meant to me gaming stuff is weird to me. Different generation I reckon. I enjoy arts & crafts, sewing, gardening, reading....stuff that is very visual and tactile...
my only computer 'addiction' is this darn CD LOL. my butt gets too numb to do much else online...have fun with your games tho'

Old 07-26-2008, 02:17 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,124,231 times
I guess I'm confused [it IS Saturday ] but ....if the child did not give his real name or address, how did the adult get a name and address to send the Game?????

That being said.....13 yo g'daughter abused he internet privledge and lost it, then she earned it back......and lost it again....this time until school resumes and then only on her g'mothers computer and only when WE log her in.

IF we suspect that she has been contacted by adults, there will be a 'shoot first and ask questions later" approach.

Or maybe call "Dateline"

Old 07-29-2008, 02:19 PM

22,211 posts, read 19,238,916 times
yes you are right to be concerned about "gifts" to young men from older men online because there are pedophiles and predators out there

if it's an online gift, such as a character or weapons then that is not a threat, but if it's something to his home address BIG RED FLAG

and review with your kids the precautions about never giving out any personal information regarding address or even real name

all 3 of my sons (now 21, 21, 23) have been active in online gaming and guilds for over 10 years and have had nothing but positive experiences, including meeting people in person once they got to college, attending LAN parties, and garnering an incredible array of skills that have led to paid jobs in the gaming industry

rather than go ballistic on your son try to talk with him about his involvement, try to LISTEN to discern what his involvement is, make sure there are NO VIDEO CAMERAS on the computers. I'd be more concerned if he was hanging out in chat rooms and myspace type of places than guilds

Old 07-29-2008, 02:31 PM

22,211 posts, read 19,238,916 times
there is nothing creepy about 41-year olds playing in guild games.
my teens know people whose parents became involved in the games at first to monitor what they were doing, and then later played and joined themselves because of the fun of the game, and also so they would have a shared activity to spend time with their kids

several times my sons over the years have urged me to create a character and join them in playing the game, so it is not unusual for middle-aged folks to be in the guilds in the multi-player games.

also i was surprised to learn there are also couples that play, men and women, again i believe it is so they have a shared hobby or interest together. One couple would play and you could hear when the baby (they had a new baby) cried in the background and they would take turns going to feed it

so it is a gaming activity that really does cross all ages

Old 07-30-2008, 12:36 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,413,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
I guess I'm confused [it IS Saturday ] but ....if the child did not give his real name or address, how did the adult get a name and address to send the Game?????
With an Amazon wishlist. The kid had one set up and had hte game bought for him. The buyer dosent see the addy it went to.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:51 AM

1,385 posts, read 3,007,312 times
Be extremely cautious.....usually the buying of gifts can be used as "evidence of the intent to solicit a minor"

I'm not saying go after him for sure, or that that's the 41 year old's true intention, just be on the lookout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting