Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 01:05 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times

Advertisements

When you hear the name "Indiana Jones," you think of an archaeologist carrying an idol and dodging a giant boulder. When you hear about "Dow Jones," you might wonder if it's up or down that day. However, in this case, Indiana and Dow Jones are siblings, 12 and 7 years old, respectively.

Your parents named you what? The pros, cons of unusual names - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 06:25 AM

1,100 posts, read 3,012,941 times
I made sure to pick names for my kids that couldn't get twisted or made fun of. For example, we loved the name Brandi for a girl. But we got sick of hearing "Oh, that's what I named my dog." We didn't want our daughter to go through life hearing that. So we chose Sarah as her first name and kept Brandi for her middle name. It's kind of hard to poke fun at the name Sarah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
When you hear the name "Indiana Jones," you think of an archaeologist carrying an idol and dodging a giant boulder. When you hear about "Dow Jones," you might wonder if it's up or down that day. However, in this case, Indiana and Dow Jones are siblings, 12 and 7 years old, respectively.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:27 PM

240 posts, read 586,567 times
Default strange names

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

I went to a seminar one time put on by the company I worked for. One of the speakers spoke about the strange, far out names parents give their children. One she mentioned I remembered was Toyota. She said parents don't realize what a life of not much fun they are setting up for their children just so they can have some fun.

For example many employers come to strange names on resumes. They look at the resume' and say this one looks really well matched. They look at the name and say to themselves, "I'm not going to make a fool of myself trying to pronounce that name over the phone." Sure enough the next resume (in their mind) is just as good since they don't have to pronounce this (to them) unpronouncable name. Even if they do decide to call the first one they are going suddenly realize, "I'm going to have to remember how and actually say this name a dozen times a day (without laughing).

Another one that works against the kids was to pick a name that is common in some foreign county because- "that name has been in the family for generations." Not only does the employee think twice about calling them since they have tons of plain old American names to pick from but also you are back to the pronouncing foreign names and also biggots. Some times I think newscasters are going to wind up with a broken jaw trying to say the name.
Another thing that has puzzelled me forever is why to they named their kids one thing and immediately say, "we will call him/her _____." Some first names that I know that are full first names that I can think of off hand are, Sam, Bob, Joe and Jack. How many can you think of that usually get shortened or lengthened just to be different. I always saw Bob written as Robert on anything official until I went to his funeral and I saw Bob on the funeral program or whatever it is called. I had a business at the time. His wife came in after the funeral so I asked her which his real name was. I had a copy shop by the way. She didn't answer but laid a paper on the counter for me to copy. After I copied it she said, "Did you look at that paper." I said, "No." She said "Have a look at it." It was Bob's birth certificate. I guess the reason for giving names that many will never be called in their whole lives is because you have to be named Samuel, Robert, Joseph, or Jackson if you are ever going to president of the United States or something even more prestigious than that which is what most parents are imagining for their childs future.
Of course then there is my name (Levine). Not only is it unpronouncable (correctly) if it is looked at it is unspellable by someone it is told to and also the the pronunciation changes instantly after it is spoken. I have only met one person in my life (nearly 2/3 if a century) with that name for a first name (I was named after him). I knew there was a real good reason for not making president other than lack of funds.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:38 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,472,766 times
I know and I will never, for the life of me, understand why parents think it's cute, funny, or "unique" to give their kids off the wall names. Worse yet, to give a name that is spelled so outrageously.

These people are just so ignorant they haven't a clue that they're setting their children up for a lifetime of teasing, ridicule, and possibly ruin their chance at a good career.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:57 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,861,964 times
Sad thing about all of these unusual and off the wall names will become common place and no-one will think differently about someone's name. I would also venture a bet that in the near future all of these currently unpronouncable names will be rolling off peoples tongues like they have been saying them all of their lives.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:14 PM

536 posts, read 1,871,621 times
we tried to pick a name that was difficult to make fun of. However, I have a friend that can make up something for anyone's name regardless of how common it is. But some of these names are overboard and will set up a child for years of bullying. And how are they going to be treated as adults? Making fun of someone's name doesn't end with school.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:21 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,741,991 times
I think there are variations of unusual names. I would never give my kid a cutesy name like "Dow Jones," or make them into a walking commercial as in "Toyota." I also wouldn't make up a different spelling to a traditional name just for the sake of being different.

That said, I have an unusual name (won't say what it is, but it's easy to spell, easy to pronounce) and there aren't a lot of us out there. I get a lot of compliments on my name and I think it's helped me in my professional life because people remember me. I have no complaints, and was happy that I wasn't known by first name and last initial like so many other kids at my school.

Names go in cycles, anyway; I saw a two-year old Jim at the playground the other day. I know a lot of Jims born in the 50s, and a lot of younger James who go by James, but this is the first toddler Jim I have met. As far as "American" names, I don't see the problem if someone wants to name their kid something popular in another country; there are no standard American names anymore, and people can and will learn how to pronounce names that come from other cultures. I wouldn't go seeking out a name from some country that wasn't my own just for the sake of being different, but if a kid is named, say, Azim or Hector or Rosario (all perfectly fine names, if not "traditional" American) I don't think they're going to suffer in life as a result.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:33 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,363,737 times
I work as a substitute teacher. I hate calling role because of trying to figure out a bunch of names I've never seen before.

When I first started, I decided I'd be all fancy and call them Mr. Jones, Miss Smith, etc. That lasted about one day when I couldn't figure out if someone was a boy or girl by their name.

One day I had an Asian girl whose first name is Phuc. When I got to her name, I asked her how she pronounced it and she said she went by Emily.

There used to be a pro football player named Ben Gay. Now, going through life with a name like Gay has to be a pain. Then his parents made it worse by naming him Ben Gay.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:29 AM

821 posts, read 2,038,759 times
I think we should list some of the strange names that we personally know...
I know a girl named peekaboo

Old 01-06-2010, 11:40 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,861,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC JC Mom View Post
I think we should list some of the strange names that we personally know...
I know a girl named peekaboo
I know that there is an Olympian alpine skier by the name of Picabo Steet. (her name is pronounced peekaboo)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting