Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 07:46 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times

Advertisements

Ok I thought of another one but they wont call CPS but it will cause huge rage with the school faculty.

When I was a kid our school took a field trip to see how a cigarette was made at an RJR plant.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-31-2010 at 05:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 11:53 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,299,889 times
We could tricker-treat "by ourselves" and eat the goodies without worrying about tampering.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:08 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
I think nostalgia is fine, but I'm grateful for some of the changes in our world. I have some mixed feelings about some of the things I've read here. For example, the laws that mandate the use of seat belts and child restraint seats are--for the most part--good laws. The government didn't just impose these laws to make everyone miserable. Thousands of people die every year in car accidents and seat belts along with child restraint seats have done much to reduce unnecessary deaths. There are alot of people alive today who didn't die in accidents, but suffer life-long afflictions such as seizures because of head injuries too. This all was preventable.

I remember going to an elementary school when I was very young that had a playground of monkey bars for the kids to climb that was built right over an asphalt/concrete surface. Now, how bright was that? How much forethought would it have taken to simply put a sandpile underneath that equipment? I'm surprised it took years for school to figure simple things like that out.

My wife has a friend who grew up in this era with us. When the friend was very young, she pulled a steamer (or humidifier) off a table. In those days, the design of the steamer did not include a "locking top". The top was simply a heating element that dangled into a tank of water. Guess what? the poor girl was badly burned over the front of her boy and has had scars all of her life. Today, the design of steamers, or humidifiers, is much different and safer.

On the other hand, I see changes that have not been for the good. My son broke his arm playing with a friend when he was about six or seven years old. I took him to the doctor for treatment. I was asked multiple times how the accident happened--so was my son. It finally became evident to me that this was part of a child abuse investigation. I was finally allowed to take my son home, but for a while I thought he was going to be kept in "protective custody". I wondered how I would have been treated if I had been a "step father" or "boyfriend". I suspect the outcome might have been worse.

I don't think spanking is the best form of discipline for a parent. However, there are situations that call for it. I think CPS ought to be very reluctant to investigate any situation where a child complains about being spanked. I personally don't think that a bruise on the butt, per se, ought to be a cause for investigation. I'd say it ought to require a big bruise or multiple bruises.

We have made progress in this world of ours, but we've also screwed some things up. Its a question of where the line should be drawn.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:09 AM

1,688 posts, read 4,299,889 times
When I was 9, I babysat for a family of 3 kids (5 months to 4 years of age). 50 cents an hour.
When I had my kids everytime I interviewed a childcare worker I would remember.
These days my criteria is 18 or above, CPR card and references.
It was a different time in the 60's; it was free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting