Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 10:14 PM

730 posts, read 2,254,808 times

Advertisements

My DD has been at the same daycare since she was 9 weeks old- she is now 5 months. Overall I had been pleased with the place. It is clean & the kids seemed happy.

When I first toured the place when I was in my late pregnancy I noticed the teacher laying babies(both around 12 weeks old) on boppy pillows on the floor, one to each side & feeding them both at the same time as opposed to holding them. I asked them about this & they said it was a "time management" thing they did because otherwise they would spend all day doing feeding rounds. I explained that I did not want this for my child -that I wanted her held during feedings since for babies that age it is about bonding as much as nutrition. They added a note to her instruction sheet stating she was to be held during feedings & everytime I dropped in they were doing so.

She is now 5 months old.Well today I unexpectley got off 2 hours early. I walked into her classroom to find teachers standing & chatting (one texting somebody) and my daughter lying flat on a bean bag holding her own bottle with a towel underneath for propping. My instinct was to be furious.
I asked to speak with the director.He told me that my daugher was showing intrest in holding her on bottle and they were "simply letting her assert her independence, and that doing so was this was standard practice".I explained that even if my daughter can hold her bottle for a few minutes-who's to say shes not sucking air or let milk drain into her ear canals. She has been to the Dr numerous times for congestion & drainage.He asked me why I did'nt tell them she is not allowed to feed herself!!

I can understand letting an older baby feed themselves if the room is out of control but if you are setting around doing nothing -holding & feeding a child doesn't seem like to much too ask for 700 a month plus supply fees. We don't know how long she has been doing it, but we have noticed she only eats 2 5 ounce bottles a day there & then eats 6oz every 2 hours when she gets home. I also asked if they gave her her cereal & I was told "she's been asleep". From 8am to 2:40pm- really???

What do you think parents? Is it perfectly fine for a 5 month old to self feed in a daycare setting? Did I freak over nothing? and is this common practice everywhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 11:04 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,275,166 times
From what you've posted, I'd be looking for another setting. Everything combined doesn't give me a good feeling and it sounds like you feel the same way. Its your child. Go with your gut feeling. Find a more nurturing place or person to look after your precious one. Good luck.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:35 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,616,167 times
Being that I am a professional child care provider, my advice is to first check your state regulations to see if what they are doing is in compliance or not.

In Texas, it is required in child care centers for all infants 6 weeks - 6 months to be held while feeding, to also hold infants older than 6 months that cannot sit unassisted in a high chair and to NEVER prop bottles.

So, if you were in Texas, they would not be meeting the state standards and out of compliance, all reportable offenses.

If your state standards do not specifically state that infants must be held and that bottles cannot be propped, then it may very well be considered acceptable standard practice in your state. You can find out by contacting the state licensing agency and ask if they leave this issue up to the center's discretion.

If there is no regulation regarding feeding of infants and licensing sees no major issue, then your left to decide whether to pursue the issue as you want it handled or to choose another center.

As a parent, (if there were no regulations against it) I would not necessarily take issue with a provider using two boppys to feed two infants at the same time. Parents of multiples make similar choices with their babies if they are the only one present, using carriers, bouncy seats or even low swings.

I also wouldn't have a problem with a provider letting my baby try to feed themselves, especially if they have shown interest. That is a good thing. However they should be allowing the baby to hold their own bottle while they are holding the baby. NOT propping a bottle.

Regarding how much she eats, you would need to compare it to how much she eats during the same time frame at home, not the time after she gets home from the center.

What is her schedule? Does she eat right before you take her in? How many naps during the day and how long does she typically sleep? How long is she in their care? Is she ready to eat as soon as she is picked up?

I currently have a 6 month old in my care. He has developed his own (very)loose schedule. He is fed at home around 7 AM and arrives here at 8:30. Very generally this would be his typical day:
9:00 - nap
9:30 - awake, 2-3 oz
11:00 - nap
12:30 - awake, 2-4 oz
2:00 - nap
2:30 - awake, 2-3 oz
4:00 - nap
4:30 - awake, 2-4 oz
5:30 - goes home and is ready to nurse soon after.

So, as you can see he may eat as little as 8 oz or maybe as much as 14 oz, but averages around 12 oz, and he's here for 9 hours. Dad keeps him 2 days a week, and he basically eats the same amounts during the day for dad as he does here during the day.

He also eats more during the evening hours and it's simply how his needs have worked out. Other babies eat all day and eat virtually nothing in the evenings. I wouldn't be concerned if your baby eats more at night, if that seems to be her normal schedule.
Having said that, I'd be a little cautious letting her eat 6 oz every two hours at 5 months. That's a lot of formula in a short amount of time.

The cereal is not something I'd worry about at all at this point. Most peds recommend waiting to start cereal when they are 6 months of age, and then the purpose is to simply introduce solids. It's not for nutritional purposes at this point. So, if she gets it good, if not, you can try it at home that day.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:14 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I don't know if you are overreacting or not, or if you should change daycare facilities.

I do know this: nobody else will ever do for your child exactly what, and in the same way, you would. No matter what they say or how much you pay them. It's just a fact of life.

There are some things you need to fight for and there are some things you have to accept when you let others care for your child. Only you can decide what you are comfortable with.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:21 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Maybe you can give them a prescription from your doctor to not let the baby lay and feed. Have it in writing so they cannot ignore it.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:23 AM

26 posts, read 40,110 times
I'd be pissed. I honestly would move my child somewhere else. Who is to say what else might go on? Children are too precious to take such risks.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:54 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,864,119 times
I think you are.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:56 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Propping a bottle would be a deal breaker for me. Look for another provider.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:31 AM

730 posts, read 2,254,808 times
The purpose of this post was for mothers/daycare workers to share information on self feeding guidelines in daycares. I appreciate all your input so far.

I was not asking the question- should I work? Not taking opinions on that.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:37 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOEM1226 View Post
My DD has been at the same daycare since she was 9 weeks old- she is now 5 months. Overall I had been pleased with the place. It is clean & the kids seemed happy.

When I first toured the place when I was in my late pregnancy I noticed the teacher laying babies(both around 12 weeks old) on boppy pillows on the floor, one to each side & feeding them both at the same time as opposed to holding them. I asked them about this & they said it was a "time management" thing they did because otherwise they would spend all day doing feeding rounds. I explained that I did not want this for my child -that I wanted her held during feedings since for babies that age it is about bonding as much as nutrition. They added a note to her instruction sheet stating she was to be held during feedings & everytime I dropped in they were doing so.

She is now 5 months old.Well today I unexpectley got off 2 hours early. I walked into her classroom to find teachers standing & chatting (one texting somebody) and my daughter lying flat on a bean bag holding her own bottle with a towel underneath for propping. My instinct was to be furious.
I asked to speak with the director.He told me that my daugher was showing intrest in holding her on bottle and they were "simply letting her assert her independence, and that doing so was this was standard practice".I explained that even if my daughter can hold her bottle for a few minutes-who's to say shes not sucking air or let milk drain into her ear canals. She has been to the Dr numerous times for congestion & drainage.He asked me why I did'nt tell them she is not allowed to feed herself!!

I can understand letting an older baby feed themselves if the room is out of control but if you are setting around doing nothing -holding & feeding a child doesn't seem like to much too ask for 700 a month plus supply fees. We don't know how long she has been doing it, but we have noticed she only eats 2 5 ounce bottles a day there & then eats 6oz every 2 hours when she gets home. I also asked if they gave her her cereal & I was told "she's been asleep". From 8am to 2:40pm- really???

What do you think parents? Is it perfectly fine for a 5 month old to self feed in a daycare setting? Did I freak over nothing? and is this common practice everywhere?

Nope sorry I'd have a major issue with that. I have a hard time believing at that age she slept that long unless medicated. I really hope they're not giving her benadryl during the day to make their job easier. Don't think it doesn't happen. I've heard of babies dying from this. Also if she eats every 2 hours at home, and that's her schedule there is no way she'd sleep that long on her own. Time to look for a new center, and don't look back. She's not eating enough while there according to you, and they are not following your specific directions. She's to young to tell you they aren't taking good care of her, but clearly you have noticed red flags. Move her before something really bad happens.

ETA: I was a stay at home mom until my son started kindergarten, but I understand not everyone has that luxury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting