Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2008, 07:28 PM

8,050 posts, read 10,640,313 times

Advertisements

I apologize if there have already been posts related to this - I was unable to find them using the search forum function.

My daughter, who is 18, has had a learners permit for just over a month now, and can get her actual license in this state anytime now when she feels ready, (because she is no longer a minor). She had a learners permit when she was younger(16), but we did not let her get her license because her grades were not good in high school, etc., and we felt she was not ready maturity-wise.

Well, I have been riding around with her letting her practice, but we have had a couple of very close calls, and she wants to think she "knows it all" already, and I have the feeling she is a little "over-confident". She is out of high school and has a job and will be starting college as well soon, and really needs to start driving on her own as soon as possible obviously, but I'm afraid for her(and the other drivers on the road!). Today she hit the gas instead of the breaks turning into our driverway, and we took out a hedge and scratched the front of my car all up.

How did you know when your teenager was ready to take the wheel on their own? I can't stop her from getting her license, but she will need my help to get her insurance started and put money down on a used car.

HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 07:57 PM

603 posts, read 2,359,568 times
I know it must be nerve-wracking but I would try to make sure she gets a ton of practice behind the wheel with you in the car. Make sure she drives in lots of different situations-on the freeway, traffic jams, when it's raining, etc. Best of luck to you! My kids are young so we're a far way from driving but I can't even imagine how scary it must be. I ran a red light with my dad in the car when I was learning how to drive

Old 09-15-2008, 08:39 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,956,884 times
Here in Colorado, they have to hold their learner's permit for a full year before getting a license - and complete 50 hours of driving with a parent - some night driving, highway, etc.

I think that if she has only had her permit for a month she is in no way ready to be on her own. I realize she is older, but that doesn't mean she automatically can drive better or know what to do. Littledog is right - she needs to be practicing in all kinds of situations. Her close calls sounds like she is in no way ready. Keep working with her. This isn't something you want to rush just because it would be more convenient for her to be driving on her own.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:53 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,185,354 times
practice practice practice. And remind her if she wants your help as far as insurance and car use, it's up to her tog obey your rules and assumption of driving skill, or she is on her own

Old 09-15-2008, 08:39 PM

8,050 posts, read 10,640,313 times
Thanks so much for everyone who responded. Every single one of your replies was absolutely right! I am going to insist that she keep practicing for awhile before she takes the wheel on her own.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:42 AM

904 posts, read 2,874,296 times
My daughter just got her license about 3 weeks ago. She also was required to have her permit for 1 year. We made her drive everywhere during that year. She drove at night, in the rain, in the snow, everywhere. We also made her take driver's ed and an additional driving course. We made her take a check ride with us after she got her license but before we let her go out on her own in her new car. I rode with her yesterday and she has improved even more since being on her own.

I would suggest you enroll her in a private driving course. It does cost quite a bit but I felt it was much more comprehensive than driver's ed. Plus, it was one on one and made her drive at all speeds and conditions vs driver's ed where she never got much above 35 mph. Most of her driver's ed was done on a closed course. Not exactly real world experience and that's what young driver's need.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:06 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,494,501 times
my son is quite a few years away, but i can tell you my experience.
i had drivers ed in high school and they actually took us each on an hours drive twice--and that was it. i knew i was not ready although i did pass the tests etc.
my parents did not think i was ready either.
they made me take additional drivers courses--about 2 or 3 with a private company, and i learned so much in those 2-3 hours that i dont remember learning in drivers ed.
i was ready after that.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:44 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,489,494 times
When they could drink a 6 pack of beer without vomiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting