Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 10:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,589 times

Advertisements

So i honestly do not do it very often, and NEVER in front of my child but I stole something and I think my daughter saw me do it.
My little girl is 8 years old, and I feel the need to provide her and my other kids with the finer things in life (so sue me). We live in what you would call an affluent area of town. Well after my husband and I got divorced, I got the house but no alimony, and child support is pretty much covering my morgage. Anyways, point is that I want my kids to be able to keep up with the other kids at school, so ocassionaly I will steal something they want (they dont know I steal though) so they do not have to do without. My daughter wanted to get a video game for a boy she likes, whoes birthday party is this Friday. I didnt want to spend that much money, but all the other kids spend that and more. I didnt want her to feel inferior, So I stole it. I noticed she was very quiet on the way home and I think she may have noticed I did not pay for it. She has not said anything so should I just let it go, or tell her i took just incase she did see. I feel like a bad mom, but I am just trying to do the best for my kids. I know that is not the way to do it, but i hate to see my kids suffer at such a young age when they have always lived a life of privilege. I dont want them to have to change their life because their father and i could not work things out. Should I just tell her?

Old 09-29-2008, 10:53 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,492,698 times
Tell her you made a mistake. Take it back. Don't do it again. I understand you want your kids to have things and not go without, but this is not the way to go about it and you could end up in jail and then where would your kids be.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:22 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,422,783 times
Stole a video game for an 8 year old for a boy she likes ..........

Old 09-29-2008, 11:39 PM

672 posts, read 330,848 times
I agree with Chickrae - stealing from others is not a behavior you want to model for your children, regardless of the situation. How would you feel if someone were stealing from you?? It's not how much money you make and what you can buy, but what you give from the heart to those you love. Show your child that there's more to life than "things", whether stolen or purchased.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:40 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,922,162 times
I'm not sure what to do, but I wouldn't suggest taking it back--you may find yourself in legal trouble. Maybe that is horrible advice, but I really don't think you want to find yourself at the police station.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:59 AM

2,546 posts, read 6,880,099 times
Don't do it again. Get a second job if you have to- much better than stealing things than you can still have your self respect. Plus dont you want to set a good example/be a good role model for your kids?

Old 09-30-2008, 02:10 AM

134 posts, read 590,911 times
I agree with the others dont do it again.I know others who got of divorse they had to do with out alot of stuff it was hard but they were just fine. Its very hard from going and getting what you want and now not being able to afford it childern dont understand the consept on how exspencive things are .they dont understand you just cant throw your money to every retailer and get them something.You have to teach her that you cant give her what she was soo use to getting she wont understand this intell you teach her it will be hard but its then going to jail. i have 2 daughtlers and once in awhile i have to say NO!!!

Old 09-30-2008, 02:13 AM

134 posts, read 590,911 times
I say no on things i cant aford

Old 09-30-2008, 04:08 AM

603 posts, read 2,341,501 times
Talk to her and see what she knows. Promise to never do it again--and mean it. What lifestyle will they be living when you go to jail? Because you will go to jail if you continue--it's only a matter of time. What will your child's self esteem be like when kids tease them because their mom is a thief? How will you feel years from now if your children are in jail for stealing? You are teaching them that it's okay to steal, and it is not ever okay. Repeat after me: "We can't afford that right now".

Old 09-30-2008, 05:14 AM

650 posts, read 2,180,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Stole a video game for an 8 year old for a boy she likes ..........
Uh, yeah. That was my question too.

All the material things in the world are not going to amount to much if your child has no respect for you, or if you are in jail for shoplifting. Really, I could almost understnad if you were stealing necessities, but a video game just so she will feel popular is a little pathetic.

I suggest you take the item back and face up to what you did. Sneaky parents raise sneaky children. You are not being a very good role model.
Material things are just that, things. Give her something she really needs: a mother and a role model. I can't believe you would choose popularity over what you know is right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting