Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 11:05 AM

126 posts, read 344,281 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a new mom of a 9 month old boy. I am wondering about his naps. He went from three naps to two naps at around 6 months. I read that babies should have two naps a day until one year, but the past few days he seems like he may be trying to dump his 9am 1hr+ nap. It's been harder to get him to fall asleep and he doesn't always stay asleep for more than 1/2 hr. Maybe it could be teething but not sure... I am just dreading loosing this nap as it is the most "peaceful moment" of the day.
So my question for experienced parents out there is: What month did your children drop the second nap and how long did the afternoon nap become after the morning one was dropped?
Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 01:32 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,983,568 times
My son dropped his morning nap around 15 months, if I remember correctly. My daughter, probably by 6-7 months. At 6 years old, she still does not need much sleep.

I do'nt remember what happened to their afternoon naps... I want to say that they were not much affected at all, but I could be remembering wrong (they are 8 and 6 now).

Don't worry waht the books say. Those are just averages, and chances are, your kid won't fit into that precise mold.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:04 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARAH View Post
Hi, I am a new mom of a 9 month old boy. I am wondering about his naps. He went from three naps to two naps at around 6 months. I read that babies should have two naps a day until one year, but the past few days he seems like he may be trying to dump his 9am 1hr+ nap. It's been harder to get him to fall asleep and he doesn't always stay asleep for more than 1/2 hr. Maybe it could be teething but not sure... I am just dreading loosing this nap as it is the most "peaceful moment" of the day.
So my question for experienced parents out there is: What month did your children drop the second nap and how long did the afternoon nap become after the morning one was dropped?
Thanks so much!
Throw the parenting/baby books out the window. Now.

Both of my children dropped the am nap around 8-9 months.

My 3yr old & 1yr old still take afternoon naps which could range b/w 1-2 2/1 hrs depending on all sorts of things. Typically, they nap 1 1/2 hrs in the afternoon.

Sounds like he just no longer needs that am nap.

It's hard to let the am naps go b/c of the few minutes of peace you get, but he is getting bigger & more intuned with the world around him & needing that extra sleep.

Not all babies are nappers and not every day is going to be a nap day even for the best of nappers.

If you stay at home, which it sounds like, just try to keep to a pretty steady routine in the afternoon for naps. Make sure that you are not putting him down too early or too late.

He's just growing & teething & going through a phase & growing & exploring & going through a phase...so, basically, be consistent & firm with naps but also be pratical in the sense that sometimes a nap is just not going to happen; sometimes it is going to be for 20 mins & sometimes it will be for 2 hrs.

Good luck.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:08 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,775,894 times
My son was maybe 9 months when he stopped his 930am 1 1/2 hour nap. He also took about a 2 hour afternoon nap. When he stopped wanting to go down for the first, I moved the afternoon nap up a bit and ended up getting a good 2 hours from about 1130am on. I didn't like it at first, but the realized it freed up my afternoons more and I could get him to bed a bit earlier too...used to be 9pm and we were able to move it up to 8pm.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:54 PM

266 posts, read 866,955 times
I also have a 9 month old son. Instead of him giving up his morning nap he has given the afternoon nap up. This is creating a problem because 7pm hes ready to go to sleep but if i let him go to sleep that early he wont sleep through the night. He is also my first child so right now i am just playing it by ear. Good Luck!

Old 03-16-2009, 07:52 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,928,196 times
My 9 month old is still getting 2 naps, but she takes a shorter am one at daycare then she does on the weekends. My 3 year old was still napping twice a day well into her first year, and didn't drop it until she was closer to 2 I think. I think my kids are the minority when it comes to sleeping though. I was blessed with 2 good sleepers.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:21 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,552,858 times
My first napped twice a day for a long time. Once she decided to dump that first nap, it turned into a very long late morning/early afternoon nap...Sometimes 4 hours long. She napped until she was almost 4...she probably would still nap if I made her...

My youngest NEVER slept. She would cat nap through out the day. Maybe 20 min to an hour (max) a few times a day. She stoped napping completely before she was 2. She has never been a good sleeper. She still wakes during the night. She will be 3 in April.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:41 AM

126 posts, read 344,281 times
Thanks everyone! Sounds like all babies are all different when it comes to napping. I am hoping we are dealing with teething here and not dropping a nap. I gave him some infant motrin last night when he was screaming so much at bedtime, it was so unlike him, I think he was in pain becasue he slept so well after the motrin. Hoping the morning nap disturbance was related to teething. This morning he went down fine. Who knows, babies are so mysterious...
Twilight61108, Mine goes to bed at 6:45-7 even with the afternoon nap. He doesn't sleep through the night either, he's still nursing so gets up 2-3 times still. I wonder if he went to bed later if he'd sleep longer... So if yours goes to bed after 7pm how long will he sleep? I'm hoping to wean mine from night feedings soon so I can eventually get some sleep, tiredness has become just a normal state of being the past 9 months +.
Danielle, did the 4 hour afternoon naps affect bedtime? When mine has a loong or late afternoon nap, bedtime becomes a big struggle...

Old 03-16-2009, 12:48 PM

534 posts, read 1,594,894 times
I watch a 16 month old and he dropped to one nap(afternoon nap)about 2 months ago. There are days where he still takes 2, it just depends. If he wakes up early for some reason, I know by 9:30 he'll need a nap. Otherwise he makes it until about 1:30. I love when they go down to one nap. It's easier to plan things.

I watch a 4 1/2 year old too and the days she isn't in school, we can go out and play(now that it's getting nicer), go to the park and whatnot and not have to worry about getting the younger one down for nap.

His mom and I agree, one nap works better. He was like your son. He was taking forever to fall asleep and it wasn't worth stuggling laying him down. He now falls right to sleep. He's always been a great napper, 2 1/2-3 hours. He sleeps 13 hours straight at night too. The 4 1 /2 year old would nap 3+ hours everyday. She stopped napping this past October.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:06 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
She is 10 months old and has no problem...lol
Attached Thumbnails
Naps in the first year-photo.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting