Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 03:01 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,143,624 times

Advertisements

Since I have my belly button pierced, I wouldn't get mad if I had a 13 year old daughter who got hers pierced. But I would want to know if safety was practiced when she got it pierced, so that it wouldn't get infected. I think teens with pierced bellybuttons are common and not a big deal...at least where I live, they're not. Heck, such piercings are even common among moms who keep themselves in good shape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 02:20 PM

1 posts, read 3,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
1. I did not say I was GOING to say anything. Just wanting to know if OTHER parents would want to know. Even if it was anonymous which is what I would most likely do.

2. Yes, something happened at our house on my daughters birthday. It was REALLY BAD! I let every one of those girls parents know exactly what happened and that it would not be tolerated in MY house and that their childs actions were banning them from ever being in my house again. I really did not care what the parents thought as I'm not THEIR close friend and I'm not here to be a bunch of 13 year olds friend. If what they did is wrong then it is wrong. If MY child would have done such I would want to know and my child would be in SERIOUS trouble. Not only were things done towards my daughter but to us and her younger sister. I will NOT stand by innocently and NOT do something that a bunch of CHILDREN did against me. They were old enough to know better but obviously thought they were better than others. I was not ugly when I told the parents what happened and how disappointed we were at all. I just laid it all out on the line of what their "little angels" did. How they chose to deal with it is their business. Two of the 3 had parents that already let their kids run over them and tell them what to do and I knew those parents would not do a thing.

No, I'm not trying to cause any trouble. I wish all of them would wake up one day SOON and realize that their actions were ruining their lives. They are throwing away a great opportunity right now in their education that can follow them into high school and college.

3. Yes I do know there are ways for people to hide what they do on a computer. I also know what to look for and DO pay close attention. The only computer outside of school my daughter has ANY access to is here in our home and is the one I'm working on right now. It is in our office and we are always in here whenever she is on it. If we are gone and she is left at home it is locked up and she can't even get into the room. The school computers block all of those sites. And my daughter is open w/ me and she knows that if she tries anything I will find out.

you do know there are ways to unblock school compuer. XDD

Old 12-18-2008, 07:52 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,553,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
It's not your kid, you don't know whether or not she's done it or whether her parents already know. Stay out of it, not your business, unless of course you want to make your daughter into a social pariah as the kid with the meddling parent.
I agree! I would just stay out of it for my own kids sake...if you butt into that business, so does your dd...and those teen girls will never forget that. Not worth it.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:05 PM

2 posts, read 8,561 times
Default n00 way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruFiend View Post
Ya she may KNOW it's infected.... but she would probably hide that TOO along with the piercing for fear of being punished. It's serious. Kids are kinda dumb nowadays and they think they're SO grown up WAYYYYY before they actually are. I would tell. It's my honest opinion. I would tell.
ok im 12 i got mine done when i was 11 w/ out permission.. i asked my mom she said no but i wanted it so i went out of town with my do-not-care- father && got it pierced w/ out him knowing also..
it didnt get infected because kids know what can happen w/ things like that so they do take care of it!! clearly i still have mine my mom knows i got busted but it had already happen so she couldnt do anything about it. i know im not grown and i dont want to be but im very wealthy && well taught..but ive also been taught that if i want something ill get && that was something i wanted but couldnt get. but i did!! ok kids if you want it done get it done.. make sure you follow the the steps on keeping it clean. its cute go for it... honestly its your body not your parents so to me i think they have not a piece of controll!!
- alyssa

Old 01-24-2009, 02:26 PM

631 posts, read 2,446,174 times
I think you should get involved.
A belly button ring is a sexual statement.
I think all bets are off when it comes to teenagers and their confidences. The teenager accepts no responsibility to their indiscretions and the parents have to pick up the pieces.
As a parent I would want to know. If the parent can't handle the information, then it's on them.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:29 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
my daughters aunt has both her belly button and tongue pierced, and she would like to get both. I took my 9 year old girl to a tatto parlor at night after they had closed and had the artist show her the largest needle they have for piercings. now my daughter has no interest in any kind of piercings.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:10 PM

One of my friends has a 14 year old daughter who is the sweetest and most well-mannered girl in the world. She really wanted her bellybutton pierced, so her mom made her a deal whereby she could get it pierced IF she maintained her good grades at school and continued to do well. It's been a year now and my friend's daughter is still as sweet and disciplined as ever. She never flaunts her sexuality and the only time others can see her belly jewelry is when she is wearing a bikini.

I understand that not all kids are like her, so the whole piercing thing has to be examined on a case-by-case basis. I understand the concern it can cause if a parent's daughter is promiscuous or always getting into trouble, but it's so common now that a lot of parents who are progressive don't really think of it as a big deal.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:40 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,666,667 times
i would want to know. i would hope to be vigilant enough to notice that in my daughter, but i dont think you telling the mother is the best thing. it could be a lie or rumor. or she could have sanctioned it.

that might cause the other girls to turn on your daughter. you are not always around and wont be able to save her from a school yard scrap. best thing to do is leave the situation alone. besides how bad is a belly ring.

this is not a case of drug use. sex. abuse. dont go sticking your nose where it dont belong, do it for your daughters sake.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
i would want to know. i would hope to be vigilant enough to notice that in my daughter, but i dont think you telling the mother is the best thing. it could be a lie or rumor. or she could have sanctioned it.

that might cause the other girls to turn on your daughter. you are not always around and wont be able to save her from a school yard scrap. best thing to do is leave the situation alone. besides how bad is a belly ring.

this is not a case of drug use. sex. abuse. dont go sticking your nose where it dont belong, do it for your daughters sake.
I agree 100%. Like you said, if it were drugs or sex, that would be one thing. But no need to get bent out of shape over a piercing.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:15 AM

821 posts, read 2,038,549 times
I say mind your own buisness... If you were close to this other mom then baby but because she is a distant "friend" who's daughter you already have has a problem with she is going to take it as your starting trouble if its a lie and if its the trust she going to take it as if your making fun of a troubled kid....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting