Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 02:05 PM

697 posts, read 2,014,977 times

Advertisements

EJ, I'm printing that, and referring back to it, if you don't mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 02:24 PM

168 posts, read 672,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 925mine View Post
EJ, I'm printing that, and referring back to it, if you don't mind.
I don't mind at all.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJRuek View Post
I don't mind at all.
Thanks.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:17 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,578,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJRuek View Post
I also bet that you'd be very upset were someone to indoctrinate your child in Satanism and go door to door witnessing to others about their religion.

That's kind of what the authorities thought about the early disciples, when they went from door to door. They were ripped apart by lions for it. Yet, they persevered.

I certainly don't begrudge the Satanists their right to door to door preselytize if they like. I can just as easily say 'I'm not interested' to them as to the 'girl scouts'.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
That's kind of what the authorities thought about the early disciples, when they went from door to door. They were ripped apart by lions for it. Yet, they persevered.

I certainly don't begrudge the Satanists their right to door to door preselytize if they like. I can just as easily say 'I'm not interested' to them as to the 'girl scouts'.
You missed the point.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:23 PM

Quote:
You missed the point.
What point is that?

Old 10-22-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
What point is that?
How would you, personally, feel, if someone approached your children, or you, and took it upon themselves to indoctrinate you and yours into satanism. I believe that was the point. I could be wrong.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
How would you, personally, feel, if someone approached your children, or you, and took it upon themselves to indoctrinate you and yours into satanism. I believe that was the point. I could be wrong.
And I responded. I respect their right to try but I'm confident in my childrens' upbringing and quite certain they can withstand such pressures. Satan is going to try his best to pull them away using all kinds of means, there's no doubt. It's my job to give them the 'armour' to protect themselves.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:01 PM

168 posts, read 672,520 times
Quote:

Great. That's very open minded, because there are a lot of folks who'd call the cops and want them run out of town on a rail or worse.

I was raised Dutch Reform. My father was the most Christian man I ever knew, and I am friends with a lot of Christians, fundamentalists and more mainstream, both. I go to all their churches at one time or another, because I'm invited to. There's nothing at all wrong with Christianity...or any other religion except for when it begins to condone xenophobia and hatred of those who believe differently. Just my take.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:02 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,217,973 times
Leellani, I think you should defenitely take your kids to church, if that is what you-the parent-feel is best for your family. It's ok if they act bored, I'd bet they are still getting something out of it. They will get used to sitting through the service.

My young kids can sit pretty quietly through a whole service. People do ask how-I say, because they are used to it. It takes time, though.

As parents, dh and I do not give the option of not going to church (unless one is ill, and we do make an exception, at our discretion, if there is another reason). We are the parents and the kids are under our authority till adulthood.

It's not too late to start. They will get something out of it. You can tell them-I can't change the past, but I can choose our future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting