Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: BOY: Santino Francis Amaya. Do you like?
Yes 37 52.11%
No 34 47.89%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 07:35 AM

589 posts, read 1,636,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
I voted no because I am all for common names. I liked flying under the radar as a child but it was impossible because of my foreign last name. Then I came to the US and nobody can pronounce my first name. So when I named my children I made sure their names were easy to pronounce and not rare.
What does Santino mean? Do you know of anyone that has that name? He may give you an insight on possible teasing variations.
I do like Francis maybe as a first name.
Good luck. Picking a name is so hard.
What is 'common' to one may not be common to all. I hear wide varieties of names in the school. Most people regard them all as just names now. Personally? I like a name that has a special meaning behind it.

And I forgot before, but better late than never!!! CONGRATULATIONS on your wonderful bundle that's on the way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 08:20 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
I really like the name of Santino. And I like how you are trying to connect his name to his heritage. I voted yes, but would like to put my vote behind Fransisco. My friend had the middle name of Francis (father's name) and really hated it. And he was a very easy-going guy!

As far as teasing, any name can be made fun of. My sister was extremely fussy picking out a name because of this. She settled on Elizabeth. The first thing out of above-mentioned friend's mouth the first time he met her (she was about 2.5 y.o.)--"Hi Lizardbreath!" You really can't avoid it. For Santino, it could be Santa. But I think there are a lot of great nickname options for your son when he gets older.
I would think that 'Tino would be the natural option for a nickname. Now that might morph into Teeny which of course, is NOT a good nickname for a boy because you KNOW everybody would think "genitals" LOL.

But as he got older, I don't think that 'Tino would be a bad nick name. Kinda sexy, actually.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-09-2008, 08:39 AM

174 posts, read 488,442 times
I don't like it. JMO.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:54 AM

3,964 posts, read 10,633,731 times
Here's what I think-

For whatever reasons, (most of them well-intended), many people will offer you their opinions about how you should do EVERYTHING from labor to feed your baby to where you send them to college. Not just family, either. Strangers will not hesitate to tell you your baby needs a sweater or why the juice box in your toddler's hand in unacceptable.

This is why I tell you now, DISREGARD all opinions about names and go with your gut. What we think DOES NOT MATTER

You will know your child better than anyone. Some advice will be helpful, but filter every word given through your parent's intuition.

Good luck, and congratulations!

Old 11-09-2008, 12:09 PM

403 posts, read 1,325,557 times
I don't think middle names really matter all that much in the long run. Most people never know what your middle name is anyway! If he absolutely hates it, he can say he doesn't have one . My parents gave me a normal middle name in case I hated my first name. It was an extremely uncommon first name in the 70s, but has become more popular now. Anyway, I love my first name so it didn't matter in the long run!

But anyway, I like that you're picking names based off your heritage. I agree that you should go with a name that you both like. Use that name on a daily basis as if you're speaking to your child and I think you'll get your answer. I've eliminated a few names by doing that .

Good luck with your new baby!

Old 11-09-2008, 05:25 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
FWIW, I like the name Paolo, and would change Francis (too English sounding for me) to Francesco (more Italian), so it would be

Paolo Francesco Amaya

Old 11-09-2008, 07:46 PM

528 posts, read 1,463,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingthecow View Post
We're having a baby boy in a few months, and just thinking of names. My girlfriends grandmother (died recently) cared for her all her life, and her name was Frances, so the middle name Francis has to stick. A little background here: I am of Spanish/Native-American/Swedish heritage, and my last name Amaya is Spanish (though also rarely Japanese). My girlfriend is of Italian and Mexican heritage, and so Santino fits the Italian part. Anyway, vote, give me some thoughts, what do you all think?
I think it's a beautiful name and I love names that carry special meaning, whether due to other family members or heritage. Go for it!

Old 11-09-2008, 09:58 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,058,817 times
I'm not a big fan of the name Francis. It just seems a little outdated (but I know you're going to keep it). Other than that, I like Santino and love the last name Amaya. It sounds so pretty! Congrats!

Old 11-10-2008, 07:30 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,539,736 times
I think it's a great name.....
When asked my opinion I tell the soon to be parents to think into the future.....would that make a good name for a doctor/lawyer/scientist ect.

I like the good strong names. No Buffys or Biffs for me.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:31 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
GREAT name!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting