Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2008, 09:15 PM

850 posts, read 3,159,019 times

Advertisements

I am 42, have a new baby (8 months), and live daily with Fibromyalgia. I was diagnosed when my older kids were in middle school, but I was younger and able to keep going well with pain meds.

Now, at my age, the meds do not work as well, everything is more difficult, and I struggle daily to take care of myself. DH is not as understanding as he should be, as are many others - because I do not 'look' sick. If I looked as bad as I feel, I would probably be admitted to the hospital. Some days I simply sit in the floor and let baby crawl all over me, letting the housework go. I have no other choice. I am soon to go for a checkup, as we are looking at possible MS - symptoms are progressing for me, and FMS mimics MS, so it's time to sort it out.

How many of you are walking in my shoes? Care to share struggles, advice?

KimmieyKy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 12:51 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,069,875 times
All I can say is I feel for you Kimmie. Good Luck honey.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:00 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,883 times
Kimmie. I will keep you in my prayers and thoughts.
Blessings Michelle

Old 11-10-2008, 11:01 AM

33 posts, read 427,489 times
I'm not in ur shoes yet. But I'm close. I was actually pregnant but lost the baby in September. I suffer from Dysautonomia (its an autonomic condition that affects things I can't control like breathing, heart rate, blinking etc.), Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia with vassor depressor response (another words when I stand up my blood pressure dropps suddenly and drastically and I pass out), a hole in my heart and Mitral valve prolapse..

To say I have days where getting out of bed isn't even a thought is the understatement of the year. My husband while non understanding to the point of being cruel at first is now "warming up" to the fact that yes this is real and no even at 25 I still feel terribly old. I have the same quality of life as someone with congestive heart failure.

I do however have children every day as my gf lives directly next door and I've become the livin in baby sitter to her 3 kids ages 5 months, 14 months and 7. I understand those days where you literally just sit there, let them run and do whatever and just struggle to stay awake, or to just to lift your arms. There isn't a fix unforuntaly for us. All we can do is rest as much as possible when we can and struggle though the rest of the day. Just know you're not alone hun.. there are many of us out there struggling daily with chronic illnesses.. btw.. I'll be trying for another child in Jan.. so fingers crossed I won't loose this one!

Old 11-10-2008, 12:27 PM

1,227 posts, read 2,064,503 times
May I ask how you felt while pregnant, kimmie?

I am 27 with a chronic illness as well. It's been years and I can't work. We want kids one day and I am really wondering if I'll be able to bear pregnancy.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:54 PM

850 posts, read 3,159,019 times
Butterfly - I am so sorry. Much of what you describe sounds like it mimics MS. I was doing some reading on that last night, and your symptoms sound familiar. A MRI will be a starting dx, with a spinal tap only if necessary. I am sure your docs know what they are talking about, but it would not surprise me, with the research I have done, that MS is not floating in there too. God love you. I do know your pain. I can pass the only gold lining I have to you - vitamins! If you are interested, I can help you figure out what you need for YOU - everybody isn't the same. Prayers for you, and keep in touch.

Now......

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSinger View Post
May I ask how you felt while pregnant, kimmie?

I am 27 with a chronic illness as well. It's been years and I can't work. We want kids one day and I am really wondering if I'll be able to bear pregnancy.

Believe it or not, other than the extra weight bearing down on my bones - I felt great! Much to the chagrin of my doc, I continued to take my pain meds. I consulted two pain mgmt. docs and they told me coming off and dealing with the illness would be a bigger strain on the baby than the benefit of being drug free. I did stop the valium, and cut back as far as my body would allow. Other than that, I did great. They considered me high risk and wanted to run test after test but I refused.

I discovered repeated ultrasounds are like 'cooking' the baby's cells in a microwave (I have lots of documentation for that), and I had no reason for amnio - it would not have made a difference anyway. I was having that child and I KNEW God was in control. I took my vitamins and then some, ate organic, and stayed away from all chemical spossible. I found out Baking Soda is the best thing to clean anything!

Seriously, I did great, and the baby had an apgar of 9 with the only ultrasound I would allow (they called it something - can't remember), and his apgar was 9 at birth. They told me he would probably be in NICU for weeks after due to drugs - he never left my side. This is the most healthy child I have ever had. I trusted my instincts (we have to) and everything just worked.

I am now a sahm, and worked up until I was 5 months. I really should not have been, and should have quit long ago, but I am also a type A personality, and it's hard to sit down, regardless of the pain.

The best thing I can tell you is to start now with nutrition and supplements. I would be happy to give you my list of 'must haves' if you like. It will help now, too.

Don't worry. Just keep your outlook positive and let God do the rest. I wasn't even supposed to have a child - my husbands issues - but Miracles happen.

I think you will be just fine - it's the after you need to worry about. Make sure have a good support system. You will need it. Our house has three floor and sometimes I have to have someone carry peanut up so I can change his diaper. But it works out.

All with faith and time..it works.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:57 PM

33 posts, read 427,489 times
When I was pregnant I felt great also. It was after the pregnancy that I felt bad again.. Pregnancy can be a good thing for you. It doubles your blood volume and so people have more engery and feel great even those with Chronic Illnesses

Old 11-10-2008, 08:36 PM

1,227 posts, read 2,064,503 times
Thank you, kimmie! Yes, I would love to read your list! So sorry you've been going through so much pain.

I mostly have pain in my hips and knees. I guess I should say I've been having chronic pain from multiple injuries caused by knocked knees. I'm about 14 lbs above my healthy weight. I have lost 12 so far, so I did gain some from resting. That's the thing that worries me: the extra weight of pregnancy on my joints and muscles.

I did hear that pregnancy can work miracles around pain. I know a girl who has Chrohn's disease and she never felt better in her life than when she was pregnant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting