Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2014, 10:44 AM

280 posts, read 422,239 times

Advertisements

My 10 yr old is in 4th grade. She has a speech problem and she's in a regular classroom (before she was in special ed class and on a different playground.) Different boys have been bothering her, saying she has to do what they say (give them her stuff, have her kick someone, etc.) They've asked her if they can have sex with her and all kinds of vulgar stuff. She's very shy and even though we tell her "tell a teacher" she will only tell me. I tell the school and the principal says "Well the boys denied it, so I can't punish them." My daughter doesn't want to go to school now. What can I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 10:46 AM

501 posts, read 933,727 times
Send her to school with an audio recorder, then play the recording for the principal.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:38 PM

189 posts, read 327,034 times
I would show up at the next class event and introduce myself to the parents of the boys. Better yet, you might want to introduce yourself to those boys parents before then. Be proactive.

There is only so much that is within the school's control.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:57 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan_Davis View Post
My 10 yr old is in 4th grade. She has a speech problem and she's in a regular classroom (before she was in special ed class and on a different playground.) Different boys have been bothering her, saying she has to do what they say (give them her stuff, have her kick someone, etc.) They've asked her if they can have sex with her and all kinds of vulgar stuff. She's very shy and even though we tell her "tell a teacher" she will only tell me. I tell the school and the principal says "Well the boys denied it, so I can't punish them." My daughter doesn't want to go to school now. What can I do?
She really needs to tell the person on duty immediately so that the issue can be handled immediately.

If she is really too shy for that suggest that she hang around the playground aide for a while so that she is more comfortable telling her what happens and the boys probably won't say nasty things to her when she is around the aide.

Another possibility is to have the classroom teacher encourage a friendship between your daughter and a girl, or group of girls, who are not shy and will either tell the boys to "knock it off" or will immediately go with your daughter to an aide or teacher and verify exactly what the boys are saying to them. When you have two or three girls immediately tell the aide, "John said XYZ and Marty said ABC and Barry put up his middle finger" it is easier to get the truth than for one girl to not tell anyone at school, go home and tell Mom and the next day for Mom to tell the school.

I have seen the about situations work well.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:47 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,253,917 times
If she's too shy to tell the teacher one thing you can do to help that is to role play at home to practice her telling the teacher, and also to practice saying "NO" loudly and confidently towards the boys when they start to bother her. That hopefully would make her feel a bit more comfortable and confident about telling a teacher.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:05 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
If she's too shy to tell the teacher one thing you can do to help that is to role play at home to practice her telling the teacher, and also to practice saying "NO" loudly and confidently towards the boys when they start to bother her. That hopefully would make her feel a bit more comfortable and confident about telling a teacher.
Thanks, Natsku, I forgot to mention that.

In many situations it is even better to yell something specific, "No, stop teasing me!" , "Go away, you are saying bad words", but just "Stop it" or "No" is better than just quietly "taking it". Right now the boys are succeeding because your daughter is too quiet to make a fuss. Think about the long run-----learning how to say "No" and to "make a fuss" at the appropriate time are extremely valuable skills to learn (especially for girls).

Old 03-06-2014, 03:54 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,289,784 times
I like Natsku's idea of teaching your daughter to day NO, real LOUD, when it's happening.
Maybe then someone of importance will see it, and do something about it.
I can't see her wanting to tell the teacher because if she does the other kids will see her as a tattletale, and their bullying could get even worse.
Do you stay at home?
If it becomes unbearable for her, and nothings being done (as is the norm) you could try correspondence on the computer or home schooling.
It's pretty sad when children start to fear going to a school because the rotten little bullies are aloud to continue tormenting, and the teachers don't want to be bothered....but that seems to be how it is now a days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting