Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 04:22 PM

650 posts, read 2,179,513 times

Advertisements

If breastfeeding isn't allowed then some of the pictures of girls with their cleavage hanging out should be banned too, imo.

Facebook seems to be pretty prudish about a lot of things. The word a$$ wasn't allowed either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 05:08 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsand2boys View Post
If breastfeeding isn't allowed then some of the pictures of girls with their cleavage hanging out should be banned too, imo.

Facebook seems to be pretty prudish about a lot of things. The word a$$ wasn't allowed either.
It sounds like their rules are no nipple, no areola, no service. Cleavage is not against their rules i am guessing.

That is their right as a privately owned business.

At my business i don't have to serve anyone i don't want to.
I like that.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:58 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
A person openly chooses to join Facebook.

Facebook is privately owned.

If you don't like their rules, you don't have to be a member.

It's that simple.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:01 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
And just to note - it is possible for someone who is NOT a friend of another to see a picture of someone else....for example - if I go into my brother's facebook profile and comment on a picture he posted, then that picture and my comment can show up on my profile page. At that point, any of MY friends - not just ones that are his friends as well - can see the picture. I just went and tested this to see how far I could get. I went to my home page, clicked on a photo that one of my friends commented on from someone else's album. Not only was I able to bring the photo up in large size, but also link back to the full album.

I realize it depends on how people have some things set in their profile, but the majority of people do not change the default settings.
It depends on how someone has their settings when they upload the picture. You have the choice for your photo to be viewed by "Friends Only" or "Friends of Friends" or "My Network and Friends" or "Everyone" or whatever. If you choose "Friends Only" then your photo should not be able to be seen on someone else's profile even if they commented on it, though if you chose one of the other options it would be. Most of my pictures (and notes) are set to "Friends Only", but obviously others set their own settings as they please.

And I'm surprised to hear that Facebook doesn't allow the word A$$ considering that the word F**K is plastered all over my little sister's profile, including her status line frequently.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:43 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,283,360 times
One of the most beautiful things I have ever seen was my wife feeding our children in the natural way. I loved to watch, and must admit to a pinch of jealousy at not being able to have that kind of closeness with our infant children.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:56 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,718,056 times
Colorado has a law that says employers have to provide a private room, non-bathroom, for this purpose for employees. I think if you choose to have kids you can expect to have some inconvenience and that includes the necessity of planning your errands around the child's need to feed. I also think that public bathrooms are not always any dirtier than taking the infant out in public--my first child was unable to breastfeed at all due to health problems and I was unable to take the child out in public pr use public daycare, etc, due to fear of germs. I guess this does make my perspective different but you accept a fair amount of responsibility for all this when you choose to have a kid. I also don't think that not breast feeding, or using bottles to feed breast milk, makes you a bad parent. It's all about a guilt trip. I don't think "society" needs to support that choice; if anything I think society bends over backwards for babies and cares little for the ones that grow up and grow old. As for "how can women feel comfortable doing what is best for their babies when the society that they live in does not support them"--well, I don't think comfort has much to do with being a parent, and what is best for kids is that parents learn to accept responsibility for choices they make instead of making the whole world support them. People have been having families since the beginning of time, and still will, regardless of breastfeeding rules.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:56 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esya View Post
Colorado has a law that says employers have to provide a private room, non-bathroom, for this purpose for employees. I think if you choose to have kids you can expect to have some inconvenience and that includes the necessity of planning your errands around the child's need to feed. I also think that public bathrooms are not always any dirtier than taking the infant out in public--my first child was unable to breastfeed at all due to health problems and I was unable to take the child out in public pr use public daycare, etc, due to fear of germs. I guess this does make my perspective different but you accept a fair amount of responsibility for all this when you choose to have a kid. I also don't think that not breast feeding, or using bottles to feed breast milk, makes you a bad parent. It's all about a guilt trip. I don't think "society" needs to support that choice; if anything I think society bends over backwards for babies and cares little for the ones that grow up and grow old. As for "how can women feel comfortable doing what is best for their babies when the society that they live in does not support them"--well, I don't think comfort has much to do with being a parent, and what is best for kids is that parents learn to accept responsibility for choices they make instead of making the whole world support them. People have been having families since the beginning of time, and still will, regardless of breastfeeding rules.

Colorado law says that employers have to provide a private room for employees to pump their milk, not for nursing.

Yes, absolutely, having kids does mean accepting some inconveniences but it does not mean that nursing mothers need to plan all of their outings between their child's feedings. I never followed any kind of feeding schedule but rather nursed my baby on demand. I wouldn't have been able to leave the house for more then an hour at a time, at most, if I planned my outings around my child's feeding schedule. There is also no need for a mother to nurse her child while sitting on a toilet. It doesn't really matter if the toilet is sparkling clean or filthy. A mother shouldn't have to isolate herself either by staying at home, or by sitting in a toilet stall in order to feed her baby.

Just because people are pro-breastfeeding does not mean that they are judging women who bottle-feed. I'm sure some do but it goes both ways, some women who bottle feed judge women who breastfeed. I've definitely felt judged by others for breastfeeding. It happens on both sides,

I do think that it's important for society to support nursing mothers and so does the CDC, the US Dept. of Health and Human Services, the WHO, the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Academy of Family Physicians. The CDC and the US Dept. of Health and Human Services have set goals in order to increase breastfeeding rates in the US. They have done this because the health benefits of breastfeeding are well documented for both babies and their nursing mothers.
Increasing Breastfeeding Rates in the United States | Health Commentary (http://healthcommentary.org/public/blog/195392 - broken link)
Breastfeeding: Introduction | DNPAO | CDC

How does breastfeeding benefit society?
Benefits of Breastfeeding (http://www.4woman.gov/Breastfeeding/index.cfm?page=227 - broken link)
Quote:
Breastfeeding saves on health care costs. Total medical care costs for the nation are lower for fully breastfed infants than never-breastfed infants since breastfed infants typically need fewer sick care visits, prescriptions, and hospitalizations.

Breastfeeding contributes to a more productive workforce. Breastfeeding mothers miss less work, as their infants are sick less often. Employer medical costs also are lower and employee productivity is higher.

Breastfeeding is better for our environment because there is less trash and plastic waste compared to that produced by formula cans and bottle supplies.
As far as Facebook banning breastfeeding photos...It doesn't surprise me. Like others have said, it is a private company and they can make whatever rules they want. As a consumer, I can choose to use their service or not. However, I do find it really sad that people are so against mothers nursing their babies in public.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:09 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,033,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
One of the most beautiful things I have ever seen was my wife feeding our children in the natural way. I loved to watch, and must admit to a pinch of jealousy at not being able to have that kind of closeness with our infant children.

Few like that view.

I feel sorry for those that think their little word should be adored by others.

Keep the ugly teet under cover. If it's great looking, don't mind me looking.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:30 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,453,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnord View Post
There is no other mammalian species ON EARTH that steals mother's milk from another species to feed their own young. Take a minute to think about how absurd the public repulsion to breastfeeding is. Honestly, I can't even comprehend how this came about. Modesty is fine - using a light blanket to cover both mother and child, that's fine. And if not - so what? Every human on the planet has two nipples! Come on. This is something I seethe over, and I'm not even a mother.

In 1995, I went to visit a friend of mine who had just had a baby. She was nursing, thankfully. We decided to go out for the afternoon to a public event. At one point, she excused herself...and never came back. I went looking for her, and found her and her baby hiding out in the corner of a ladies bathroom so she could nurse. She said she was there because she was shy and didn't want to deal with any hassles because there were lots of children at the event.

STUPID.
funny, I've seen dogs breast feed cats and other animals do it.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:34 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,453,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
Rules are rules. I think "touchy" subjects like this get offtrack. I'm guilty. I just want to add why I think people find breastfeeding so offensive. Our country is huge on sex sex and more sex. Women are seen more today as sexUAL objects rather than mothers! The breasts are made for baby, not for DADDY and his buddies, lol!

We BREASTFEEDERS are just trying to play the role we were ment to! I don't mean that women need only have children, stay home and be mommies, but that our bodies are beautiful because it births and nurtures life!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT because we have cleavage and look good in a bikini!

As for the facebook, they need to rethink their policy. I agree that if a persons profile is private they should LEAVE breastfeeding pictures alone!!!! They should be exempt from the nudity rule. However, if the profile is NOT set to private, she needs to follow the rules of facebook!
breasts are for babies only? then why do 99% of woman buy push up bras, low cut shirts, get boob jobs, etc, etc.
This is just another woman's rights thing. Women want to be treated equally, but also want to stay home and have the husband earn the bacon. You can't have it both ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting