Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2009, 12:45 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

WASHINGTON (CNN) – They’ve been in the White House less than a week, but the first daughters have already been co-opted by marketers — and Michelle Obama isn’t happy about it.

CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - Michelle Obama: ‘Inappropriate’ to use daughters to sell dolls « - Blogs from CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 12:52 PM

512 posts, read 712,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
WASHINGTON (CNN) – They’ve been in the White House less than a week, but the first daughters have already been co-opted by marketers — and Michelle Obama isn’t happy about it.

CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - Michelle Obama: ‘Inappropriate’ to use daughters to sell dolls « - Blogs from CNN.com

Good for her. I don't think it is appropriate at all. Especially when the parents aren't involved. And the fact that they try to deny that the dolls are modeled after the Obama girls just makes them look like jerks.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:53 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,067,533 times
They aren't even settled in yet, and those girls are being exploited.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:56 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,432,556 times
That is just shameful! The press learned to back off the children after Amy Carter. Everyone else needs to do the same. I hope there is a way to yank those dolls from the market. I shall not be purchasing any Ty products for my children.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:26 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Good for her. Let those girls be kids. They should be off limits to any of that.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:42 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times
The children of the President should always be left alone. It should be like they never exist IMHO. Bush did a great job keeping his out of the limelight and the media did a good job by not mentioning them too much.

The problem is that Obama almost has superhero status with some people and allot of the media and these dolls will sell unfortunately :S

Old 01-24-2009, 09:20 PM

153 posts, read 521,175 times
I think this is extremely distasteful, but the most pathetic part of the story is that Ty is denying that they named the dolls for Obama's daughters.

Quote:
A Ty representative told CNN the company generally avoids naming dolls for “any particular living individual,” because doing so might interfere with how kids use their imaginations to play with them. But they wouldn’t reveal the source of their inspiration for the new figures, telling CNN that information relating to the development of the company’s merchandise — including how it comes up with products, product names, and trademarks – is proprietary.
Give me a break

Old 01-25-2009, 06:39 AM

237 posts, read 1,059,719 times
Exploiting little girls to sell more beanie babies. Simply tasteless. And the denial that the dolls were not named for any particular individual is idiotic. They could have just apologized for offending the first family and voluntarily discontinue the product. They obviously have no dignity. I won't be buying anything from Ty in the future.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:03 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
When all the networks were making a big deal about the girls' first day of school, I liked what NBC said. When Chelsea Clinton started her first day at this same school, they said they showed her going and, unless something spectacular happened, they were going to leave her alone. And that same feeling was being used by NBC on Sasha and Malia. They're in school. "Nuff said". WTG NBC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting