Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 11:49 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
From a teacher's standpoint (I am also a parent ), there is a lot of "fabrication" to stories that are told about school. 1/2 of the things your son will tell you about school are more "fluff" than substance & 1/2 the stuff your son tells the teacher about home is more "fluff" than substance. I told this to parents all the time & they also told this to me!

Use your intuition.
I'm not a teacher, but I totally agree with this. I have spent the past several years volunteering in the classrooms helping my kids teachers, and you wouldn't believe some of the crazy stuff kids come up with to say or do, draw or imagine. I've actually heard a teacher tell the parents that before, during a parents night open house... he said "How about you all believe half of what the kids tell you about school, and I'll believe half of what your kids tell me about home, and we'll both read between the lines and sort out the reality from there."

There's usually one overly confident kid - at least - in the class with the crazy-wild imagination and awesome persuasive ability who can get all the other kids to go along with some really whacked out story of something that may or may not have happened. And your kid comes home with his own understanding or spin on the story... and you're left going, "What the heck?" (And then one day you hear that the little boy who started all that crazy-talk grew up to be a politician. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 02:55 PM

517 posts, read 1,964,420 times
Thanks for all the advice... here's the outcome!

I sent a very non-confrontational e-mail and his teacher called me this afternoon. Apparently, my son was "goofing off" with a friend during class time and, in order to get his attention, she asked the question loudly to my son. Of course, he had no idea what the question was because he was busy with his friend and not paying attention so he gave the ol' "deer in the headlights look"! I can't say that this has never happened to me!!! LOL.

Both boys were given "time outs" (they had to put their heads down on their desks for a minute). Afterwards, the teacher asked if they were ready to pay attention and, if so, could raise their heads and "join the class". They were and they did.

I feel much better because now I can talk with my son about the importance of paying attention in class. The teacher was appreciative of my reaching out to her. I am SO glad I did!!!

Old 01-29-2009, 03:10 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwa View Post
Thanks for all the advice... here's the outcome!

I sent a very non-confrontational e-mail and his teacher called me this afternoon. Apparently, my son was "goofing off" with a friend during class time and, in order to get his attention, she asked the question loudly to my son. Of course, he had no idea what the question was because he was busy with his friend and not paying attention so he gave the ol' "deer in the headlights look"! I can't say that this has never happened to me!!! LOL.

Both boys were given "time outs" (they had to put their heads down on their desks for a minute). Afterwards, the teacher asked if they were ready to pay attention and, if so, could raise their heads and "join the class". They were and they did.

I feel much better because now I can talk with my son about the importance of paying attention in class. The teacher was appreciative of my reaching out to her. I am SO glad I did!!!
So, your son was telling the truth...he did get a time out & he did not know an answer...he just forgot to tell you the part about fooling around with his friend...amazing, huh? Even at this age they know to what to leave in & what to leave out.

But, I think it's a good sign that your son told you he was put in time out. And his classroom behavior: 200% normal

And kuddos for you being a rationale parent. Your email helped the teacher more than you know.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:49 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
LOL that is to funny!!! Glad it worked out.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:26 PM

218 posts, read 562,925 times
I remember once in 1st grade I got put in time out for writing with a black colored pencil. My no. 2 pencil broke and the teacher would not slow down or let me sharpen it so I grabbed for something else.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:23 PM

2 posts, read 4,816 times
When my son was a lot younger in 1st grade his teacher put in out on the patio in 120* heat with 3 sides enclosed because he said he didn't understand a problem and ask the teacher again. This was NOT my son telling stories because my mother was a teachers aid and saw it and called me. The teacher wouldn't talk to her. I went to school and took both sons out. I had beleived the teacher before over my son. Kids don't always lie so you have to get to the truth. I started them in Hawthorn Christian school. I had to drive them every day and pick them up (about 1 hr drive each way) My son HATED school after that and we fought with him every day to go to school. I didn't doubt my kids after that. By the way the teacher did not get fired. Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting