Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 10:42 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Is she a nanny or a maid???? Nannies are hired to care for children and NOT to do laundry, dishes, etc. If you want a maid, hire a maid. If you want a nanny, hire a nanny. They are two separate jobs.
It depends on where you live.

In some areas of the country (generally areas with a high popualtion of immigrants), it's common for nannies to also do housework.

In my area, you can't find someone who will do both childcare and housework. They are separate jobs done by separate people.

But these "nanny only" positions do housework and laundry that pertains the children. The regular housekeeper usually doesn't clean up after the children.

The nanny usually takes care of the children's laundry, cleaning up after the children eat, picking up after the children play, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 01:05 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
LOL i would have loved to have seen the look on her face when she was told what sitters really charge.
I would have too but I never got the chance. I think she realized after I left she screwed up. She is the type that would never admit it though. This is how stupid I was. I was paid 125 bucks week, 50 hrs of care and took care of a 8 month old and very difficult 3 yr old. My brother was laid off and in school full time and SIL didnt make that great of a wage. So I figured its a little extra cash for me, I get to bond with my nieces and my brother and SIL get to reap the benefits of quality daycare for super cheap. The first issue was that I did not view it as a employer/employee situation. I viewed it as an arrangement. Wrong!

I noticed right off that the 8 month old was behind in her development. Turns out the previous sitter liked to keep her in the bouncey seat all day. I got the baby on the floor so she could roll over, crawl and so forth. I made movies, burned them to CD's. I dabble in photography so I made portraits of the girls, beautiful black and whites that are now in my portfolio (which most people love) my SIL complained she liked color photos better. I wasnt allowed to eat any of SIL's snacks so then I started bringing a lunch which the kids wanted too, so then I was buying food to take over there. Yep, real nightmare. I learned my lesson.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:15 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,864,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I would have too but I never got the chance. I think she realized after I left she screwed up. She is the type that would never admit it though. This is how stupid I was. I was paid 125 bucks week, 50 hrs of care and took care of a 8 month old and very difficult 3 yr old. My brother was laid off and in school full time and SIL didnt make that great of a wage. So I figured its a little extra cash for me, I get to bond with my nieces and my brother and SIL get to reap the benefits of quality daycare for super cheap. The first issue was that I did not view it as a employer/employee situation. I viewed it as an arrangement. Wrong!

I noticed right off that the 8 month old was behind in her development. Turns out the previous sitter liked to keep her in the bouncey seat all day. I got the baby on the floor so she could roll over, crawl and so forth. I made movies, burned them to CD's. I dabble in photography so I made portraits of the girls, beautiful black and whites that are now in my portfolio (which most people love) my SIL complained she liked color photos better. I wasnt allowed to eat any of SIL's snacks so then I started bringing a lunch which the kids wanted too, so then I was buying food to take over there. Yep, real nightmare. I learned my lesson.

Let me get this one.....she paid you under min wage essentially and you couldn't eat her food? LOL i would have told her where to stick her snacks. Are you a photographer? And i meant that when the new sitters told them her wage i would of loved to have seen her face. I'll bet she even tried to haggle or shop around believing she could get a cheaper price. When i used to bartend/wait tables people would do that.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Let me get this one.....she paid you under min wage essentially and you couldn't eat her food? LOL i would have told her where to stick her snacks. Are you a photographer? And i meant that when the new sitters told them her wage i would of loved to have seen her face. I'll bet she even tried to haggle or shop around believing she could get a cheaper price. When i used to bartend/wait tables people would do that.
Ya, I went to school for design and started getting into photography. Some of my stuff is used on websites for commercial pieces. It is slow going but I love it.

I have a feeling she got a serious wake up call when she started shopping around for daycare. She got laid off a year later and often turned down different jobs because with the "new cost" of daycare she realized she couldnt afford a low salary job. Welcome to the real world! lol

Old 09-16-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Ya, I went to school for design and started getting into photography. Some of my stuff is used on websites for commercial pieces. It is slow going but I love it.

I have a feeling she got a serious wake up call when she started shopping around for daycare. She got laid off a year later and often turned down different jobs because with the "new cost" of daycare she realized she couldnt afford a low salary job. Welcome to the real world! lol

Thats fantastic i have always wanted to learn to take photos. Are you digital or traditional with them? And you should post some of your photos :-D.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Thats fantastic i have always wanted to learn to take photos. Are you digital or traditional with them? And you should post some of your photos :-D.
Digital. It is a lot of fun but can be expensive. I do post on the photography forum at times.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Digital. It is a lot of fun but can be expensive. I do post on the photography forum at times.

I can imagine it is expensive...i've always wanted to learn. My aunt used to take them when i was young and developed them herself. I have an old camera with lenses of my grandfathers....i am just petrified to learn lol.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:22 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,092,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5FLgirls View Post
I know I'm going to get a lot of gripes and nasty comments but I'm trying to feel my way through a situation here.

We have a nanny 20 hours/week. She watches my 2 and 3 year old daughters (and occasionally my older two daughters, also-one child one day a week and the other daughter another day). She's not a bubbly person but I feel comfortable leaving my children with her. She likes to do arts and crafts and she reads with them. Until recently, it's been working out great with my girls.

Unfortunately, my 3 yo is very strong-willed and difficult to discipline. She decided a few weeks ago that she doesn't like our nanny and flat out tells her she doesn't like her. She's started to hit her and last week bit her. My husband and I have both stepped in and explained to her that it isn't okay and put her in time out. The nanny was given permission to put her in time-out (but I don't know if the nanny has the coping skills to deal with the situation--just from my observations). The nanny's disinterest in my daughter is becoming obvious.

In addition to this, the nanny is supposed to feed and put the two little ones to bed at night. Then, she gets an hour to herself (where she either watches TV or uses our internet). I had a major fit when I got home the other evening because she does not clean up, at all. The house looks worse than when I left, the dishes are on the table, cooking stuff all over the place and she has been on the internet for the last hour! I told her this wasn't okay and then gave her a specific list of what was required of her. She followed this for one day and then slipped back, again.

This past Friday, when I left I had told her that I had the baby's sheets in the laundry and she asked if she should finish for me. I turned her down because the last time she "helped" with the laundry, she did a lousy job and my husband was angry. Unfortunately, the day got away from me and I didn't get home to do the sheets. I made the assumption that she did it for me. Dumb move. That night, my baby woke up crying and when I went to comfort her, realized she was sleeping on the plastic crib mattress. I was pretty upset because I didn't think it was too hard to pick up the phone and call me and ask me where the sheets are instead of making my baby sleep like that. My husband felt it wasn't a big deal and that I was working myself up.

My husband's attitude is that she is our employee. He wants me to sit down (or himself) and tell her that we aren't happy ... even though I feel we've had this conversation a few times over the last month. He thinks she's getting comfortable. He wants me to find another nanny (which can be difficult) and then give her a warning and if it doesn't get through to give her two weeks notice. I've never had a nanny behave this way and am trying to figure out if I'm taking things out of proportion or if she's taking advantage?

Wow she is the nanny and the maid..
hope she is getting paid for what she is worth, since she does have 2 jobs..

Old 09-16-2010, 10:39 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,128,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It depends on where you live.

In some areas of the country (generally areas with a high popualtion of immigrants), it's common for nannies to also do housework.

In my area, you can't find someone who will do both childcare and housework. They are separate jobs done by separate people.

But these "nanny only" positions do housework and laundry that pertains the children. The regular housekeeper usually doesn't clean up after the children.

The nanny usually takes care of the children's laundry, cleaning up after the children eat, picking up after the children play, etc.

Not in California, and we have a pretty high population of immigrants here.

Perhaps if you hire an illegal, but this girl was a college student if I remember correctly.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:50 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,973,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5FLgirls View Post
I know I'm going to get a lot of gripes and nasty comments but I'm trying to feel my way through a situation here.

We have a nanny 20 hours/week. She watches my 2 and 3 year old daughters (and occasionally my older two daughters, also-one child one day a week and the other daughter another day). She's not a bubbly person but I feel comfortable leaving my children with her. She likes to do arts and crafts and she reads with them. Until recently, it's been working out great with my girls.

Unfortunately, my 3 yo is very strong-willed and difficult to discipline. She decided a few weeks ago that she doesn't like our nanny and flat out tells her she doesn't like her. She's started to hit her and last week bit her. My husband and I have both stepped in and explained to her that it isn't okay and put her in time out. The nanny was given permission to put her in time-out (but I don't know if the nanny has the coping skills to deal with the situation--just from my observations). The nanny's disinterest in my daughter is becoming obvious.

In addition to this, the nanny is supposed to feed and put the two little ones to bed at night. Then, she gets an hour to herself (where she either watches TV or uses our internet). I had a major fit when I got home the other evening because she does not clean up, at all. The house looks worse than when I left, the dishes are on the table, cooking stuff all over the place and she has been on the internet for the last hour! I told her this wasn't okay and then gave her a specific list of what was required of her. She followed this for one day and then slipped back, again.

This past Friday, when I left I had told her that I had the baby's sheets in the laundry and she asked if she should finish for me. I turned her down because the last time she "helped" with the laundry, she did a lousy job and my husband was angry. Unfortunately, the day got away from me and I didn't get home to do the sheets. I made the assumption that she did it for me. Dumb move. That night, my baby woke up crying and when I went to comfort her, realized she was sleeping on the plastic crib mattress. I was pretty upset because I didn't think it was too hard to pick up the phone and call me and ask me where the sheets are instead of making my baby sleep like that. My husband felt it wasn't a big deal and that I was working myself up.

My husband's attitude is that she is our employee. He wants me to sit down (or himself) and tell her that we aren't happy ... even though I feel we've had this conversation a few times over the last month. He thinks she's getting comfortable. He wants me to find another nanny (which can be difficult) and then give her a warning and if it doesn't get through to give her two weeks notice. I've never had a nanny behave this way and am trying to figure out if I'm taking things out of proportion or if she's taking advantage?
For 20 an hour I will move and deep clean your house every night....
But seriously...deep clean. I'll even organize your closets.
Oh and I am bubbly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting