Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2009, 01:12 AM

1,292 posts, read 4,706,638 times

Advertisements

Hello we have a 3 year old and we are renting a house. We've noticed that the carpet here (nothing fancy, just basic apartment like carpet) it is starting to wear out. It's actually changing color and becoming sorta flat like and stiff.

What do you suggest I could do to fix it?? I've tried resolve but it does not help at all. Do you think a steam vac or something like that would work? I'm no expert so I'm not sure if it is completely ruined or not but I surely hope not.

This is the parenting forum so I'm hoping someone else has gone through this and can assist me with a successful answer. So far I've only tried resolve and hot water. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 03:50 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,630,893 times
How long do you plan on staying there?

If it's any length of time, (and of course ask your LL if it is deducted from the rent) see if you can steam clean the carpet, then do a scotch guard of the carpet along with a good vacuum, like a Dyson.

If you aren't staying there very long, I wouldn't worry about it, but like I said we have been here for a little while, so we call it home for now.
We did that as soon as we rented our house, and we have no problems at all, between our 9yr old DD, and our dog and cat, as well as all out foster dogs we take in on a regular basis.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:00 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,516,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaverick804 View Post
Hello we have a 3 year old and we are renting a house. We've noticed that the carpet here (nothing fancy, just basic apartment like carpet) it is starting to wear out. It's actually changing color and becoming sorta flat like and stiff.

What do you suggest I could do to fix it?? I've tried resolve but it does not help at all. Do you think a steam vac or something like that would work? I'm no expert so I'm not sure if it is completely ruined or not but I surely hope not.

This is the parenting forum so I'm hoping someone else has gone through this and can assist me with a successful answer. So far I've only tried resolve and hot water. Thanks.
We've rented with a toddler

Cheap carpet (which is in most rental props) does not hold up well to toddlers.

I used Resolve or Woolite carpet cleaner. When we got our carpets professionally cleaned when we bought a home, the carpet guy told us that those products do more harm than good (like Febreeze...it doesn't do anything but cover up a smell but the smell is still there). He suggested water, white vinegar & to never rub, just pat.

My son had a tendency to pee on the carpet the second the diaper came off & our eating area had carpet, so I dealt with some messes that I do not miss

Gently pat the area with white vinegar & water. Borax 2000 is also a good product...just make sure again not to rub.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:44 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,284,679 times
If it is not possible to get a professional in there, go to the local grocery or walmart and rent one of those rug doctor things. It's probably run you about 75-100 from rental and cleaning solution. It is easy. It will take time though.... let you kiddo stasy with the g-parents for the weekend and have fun.

Ohhh BTW, when I use these things (a friend has rental property and i help her get ready for new tennants) I boil the water for the water intake. This beats hot tap water.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:06 AM

733 posts, read 1,929,011 times
I actually bought one of those steam cleaners, and you know the Spray N wash works great in the machine! I had to clean an apartment rug after living in the place for a year, with two 4 year olds ( who have special needs, so they were in diapers and yeah, had lots of messes), two dogs, and two cats, and believe me, that steam cleaner was one of the best investments I ever made

Old 02-08-2009, 12:11 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,706,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
We've rented with a toddler

Cheap carpet (which is in most rental props) does not hold up well to toddlers.

I used Resolve or Woolite carpet cleaner. When we got our carpets professionally cleaned when we bought a home, the carpet guy told us that those products do more harm than good (like Febreeze...it doesn't do anything but cover up a smell but the smell is still there). He suggested water, white vinegar & to never rub, just pat.

My son had a tendency to pee on the carpet the second the diaper came off & our eating area had carpet, so I dealt with some messes that I do not miss

Gently pat the area with white vinegar & water. Borax 2000 is also a good product...just make sure again not to rub.
Thanks everyone, this is more like our situation. This house was new so we're the first to live in it. Still the carpet is extremely cheap I think, it has pretty much become flat every where in the house (it's all throughout the upstairs). But in our room with the toddler it is much worse. We've been here over a year. I've tried to be as light and clean as I can be with this carpet.. but it just seems this carpet is not going to hold up a few more months when I plan to leave.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:36 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,259,115 times
Be careful with professional steam cleaning...links to neurological issues and Kawasaki's Syndrome.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:36 PM

87 posts, read 373,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Be careful with professional steam cleaning...links to neurological issues and Kawasaki's Syndrome.
Completely agree - they haven't proven any link, but there is plenty of anecdotal evidence. If you do have the carpets professionally cleaned, it's important to be out of the house until they're dry. Just do some internet research on carpet cleaning dangers.

Also, from our experience, THE best product for small stains is Kids 'n Pets. It's non-toxic and has gotten everything out from chocolate to red crayons - just test a small area first to make sure it's color fast. One carpet in our new rental house (old, cheap carpet) does not like the Kids 'n pets for some reason. Everywhere else, it's worked like a charm.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting