Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 09:06 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times

Advertisements

Just interested to know, what do you think of parents who exploit they're kids like say...for instance, Eden Woods?

I personally think it's very sad, and parents who do this to they're kids, need to be investigated...also, I also feel the same way about sports and the Olympics for children....

What's your take on this?

Last edited by JustJulia; 07-19-2011 at 09:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 09:08 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I suppose this would go under Relationships?

Just interested to know, what do you think of parents who exploit they're kids like say...for instance, Eden Woods?

I personally think it's very sad, and parents who do this to they're kids, need to be investigated...also, I also feel the same way about sports and the Olympics for children....

What's your take on this?
I, personally, wouldn't do it but I have a 13 year old who wishes we had. She thinks it would be fun to be in pagents. She says she's going to put her daughter in them. Hopefully, she'll outgrow this.

My biggest problem with it is you have to put kids in them before you know if they'll even like being in them. It's not something you wait until your child has an interest in to do. If you do that, you're way behind the other contestants. However, I did the same thing with piano. I started my dd's young and didn't allow dd#1 to quit until she was about 12. I won't let dd#2 quit because she's too talented and someday may regret not nurturing that talent.

If the kids enjoy it, it's one thing. If they don't, it's just wrong.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:09 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
It's stupid, my kid's going to the science fair or battle of the bands not the ****in' beauty pageant haha.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I, personally, wouldn't do it but I have a 13 year old who wishes we had. She thinks it would be fun to be in pagents. She says she's going to put her daughter in them. Hopefully, she'll outgrow this.
yes, I do to, I watched a show a while back that had a camera following several of these families around, and the kid started crying, b/c she didn't want to do it any more...you could tell she was unhappy...but her mother kept pushing her...honestly, I had to turn it off as it seemed like child abuse to me....

Old 07-19-2011, 09:14 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yes, I do to, I watched a show a while back that had a camera following several of these families around, and the kid started crying, b/c she didn't want to do it any more...you could tell she was unhappy...but her mother kept pushing her...honestly, I had to turn it off as it seemed like child abuse to me....
If you have kids crying because they don't want to do it, it's time to quit. If you're all having a great time doing it, more power to you.

The funny thing with my dd is she would have hated pagents when she was little. She did not like to dress up and it was hard to keep clothes on her. NOW she loves trying on dresses and getting really dressed up. I bribe her with outfits to get her to practice the piano more. What happened to my tomboy? Someone took her and left a girl in her place.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:14 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,197,174 times
I think that despite what the mother of that little girl said on The View (and the subsequent awful musical performance by said little girl) she is pushing quite hard.

I find those pageants disturbing because I just know that somewhere, somehow, some pedo is watching it with great interest.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:

My biggest problem with it is you have to put kids in them before you know if they'll even like being in them. It's not something you wait until your child has an interest in to do. If you do that, you're way behind the other contestants. However, I did the same thing with piano. I started my dd's young and didn't allow dd#1 to quit until she was about 12. I won't let dd#2 quit because she's too talented and someday may regret not nurturing that talent.

If the kids enjoy it, it's one thing. If they don't, it's just wrong.
I don't see anything wrong with a child learning the arts...but to push them to compete, constantly, is so wrong.

Really, so wanted to learn piano as a child, and am sorry I didn't learn to play one musical instrument. I work with a gal who has two small children, who do very well...she does have to bribe them to get them to practice...and it's not about being talented that someday, they might make it, I view it as another opportunity to introduce your child to...but practicing 365 days a year to compete, to me, is so wrong...and I just feel a lot of these women/mothers are making they're children live out they're dreams...it's so unfair and rather abusive to see...and putting make up on those little girls, sure they are beautiful, but they don't look real...I mean, google them, it's very sad....they don't know how to be a child...they're way to busy...

Old 07-19-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
I think that despite what the mother of that little girl said on The View (and the subsequent awful musical performance by said little girl) she is pushing quite hard.

I find those pageants disturbing because I just know that somewhere, somehow, some pedo is watching it with great interest.
yeah, ditto...my stomach gets really quezzy....and yes, I saw her to...and I wanted to walk up to her mother and verbally give her a what for...

What is wrong with them??????? I don't understand why it's allowed, but, then, there is huge money in it...but, to heck with those little kids.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
If you have kids crying because they don't want to do it, it's time to quit. If you're all having a great time doing it, more power to you.

The funny thing with my dd is she would have hated pagents when she was little. She did not like to dress up and it was hard to keep clothes on her. NOW she loves trying on dresses and getting really dressed up. I bribe her with outfits to get her to practice the piano more. What happened to my tomboy? Someone took her and left a girl in her place.
LOL, cheer up mom, it gets better, the older they get, the more difficult it is to let go...and when the day comes that they leave and our jobs are done, it starts all over again, with our grand children....but we mother's have to learn how to change, and let go, and actually encourage our child to get out there and live life's experiences...but oh, it's hard....

Hugs

Old 07-19-2011, 09:23 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,197,174 times
It's just remarkable. A lot of those women say that their daughters love it, but wouldn't you love it too if you weren't expose to anything else, and didn't get to do anything else?

this little girl said, "Well, I'm retiring to work on my career." "Oh, really? What is your career gonna be?" "Superstar" and that's where the mother just beams as her daughter launches into an awful musical rendition..

Yeah, that probably wasn't the little girl's idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting