Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 01:17 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,649,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
I also saw one where the mom kept having kids until she got a girl. Her first 4 were boys. Wouldn't you love to be those boys, knowing Mom was hoping and praying for a girl and only had them to try and get one?. Does Mom even realize what it probably does to those boy to hear that?
Those are the kind of people who should not reproduce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 02:41 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
I also saw one where the mom kept having kids until she got a girl. Her first 4 were boys. Wouldn't you love to be those boys, knowing Mom was hoping and praying for a girl and only had them to try and get one?. Does Mom even realize what it probably does to those boys to hear that?
Yeah, I saw that one, too.

I suppose some parents just don't realize how they hurt their children but I find it hard to believe a parent is that clueless.

These types of people are definitely in it for THEMSELVES.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:15 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,739,792 times
Toddlers & Tiaras is one of my favorite TV shows. It reminds me of my childhood as I was in beauty pageants when I was young, I quit at age 13. I am the only girl, so my mom had always wanted a little girl to do pageants. I loved pageants, but I do think it is wrong for a parent to force her child into doing them. They are also popular ere in the south, I know other states have them but the south is known for beauty pageants. My mother and grandmother took beauty pageants very seriously. Not all of the girls are bratty, like the show portrays. I am also surprised that the show doesn't show the scenes when the judges interview the child.

Beauty pageants do have their pros and cons but in my experince the pros far outweigh the cons. When you win a supreme title it makes you feel good inside. I used to be a very shy child, now I can go up and speak to anyone. I have made some very close friends that I have competed with in pageants with and still stay in touch with to this day. Pageants often giveaway scholarship money as well.Toddlers and Tiaras does always show the more negative side to pageants I think they should show more of the kids being kids. I was never "deprived" of my childhood from doing pageants, it was just a hobby like sports and cheerleading are. I think that is mostly where the outrage from others who dont quite understand pageants come from. There are crazy and competitive parents in football, baseball, and other activities. Not saying that one is better than the other but the dad who constantly wants their son to practice football and learn how to tackle is no different than the mom who wants her daughter to practice and remember her pageant stage routine.

I have done both natural and glitz (both semi & full glitz). I went through the fake nails, teeth, hairspray, big hair, etc and I had really enjoyed doing them. I went through traveling from state to state and my mom said that i did have some temper tantrums, but it was not the norm. overall it was a great experience and I would put my daughter in pageants if I had one.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:19 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
Toddlers & Tiaras is one of my favorite TV shows. It reminds me of my childhood as I was in beauty pageants when I was young, I quit at age 13. I am the only girl, so my mom had always wanted a little girl to do pageants. I loved pageants, but I do think it is wrong for a parent to force her child into doing them. They are also popular ere in the south, I know other states have them but the south is known for beauty pageants. My mother and grandmother took beauty pageants very seriously. Not all of the girls are bratty, like the show portrays. I am also surprised that the show doesn't show the scenes when the judges interview the child.

Beauty pageants do have their pros and cons but in my experince the pros far outweigh the cons. When you win a supreme title it makes you feel good inside. I used to be a very shy child, now I can go up and speak to anyone. I have made some very close friends that I have competed with in pageants with and still stay in touch with to this day. Pageants often giveaway scholarship money as well.Toddlers and Tiaras does always show the more negative side to pageants I think they should show more of the kids being kids. I was never "deprived" of my childhood from doing pageants, it was just a hobby like sports and cheerleading are. I think that is mostly where the outrage from others who dont quite understand pageants come from. There are crazy and competitive parents in football, baseball, and other activities. Not saying that one is better than the other but the dad who constantly wants their son to practice football and learn how to tackle is no different than the mom who wants her daughter to practice and remember her pageant stage routine.

I have done both natural and glitz (both semi & full glitz). I went through the fake nails, teeth, hairspray, big hair, etc and I had really enjoyed doing them. I went through traveling from state to state and my mom said that i did have some temper tantrums, but it was not the norm. overall it was a great experience and I would put my daughter in pageants if I had one.
Good post! I have to remind myself that "T&T" gets lots of footage and then puts it together the way they want. Reality shows look real but are so manipulated and edited it's hard to tell what's real. That said, some of the Mom's seem so awful...but then maybe they're like the Dad's when the son's are playing Pee-Wee football...

Last edited by laysayfair; 07-20-2011 at 09:30 PM.. Reason: add

Old 07-20-2011, 11:26 PM

973 posts, read 2,142,095 times
Why are pageants more popular in the south? Is it kinda like the debutante (sp?) , are they dances??? I'm not a southern girl, so I have no idea. lol =) I'm a northern born & bred girl who just doesn't get it. =( Of course, I was a tomboy too, so, maybe that played into it.

TreasuredJewel, you mentioned your 'mom had always wanted a girl to do pagents', & I wondered if you are an only child, or if you have a brother/s? If so, I just wondered their reaction.

My friend from OK loved doing pageants as a child too. She is this cute, bubbly, girl, w/ a high pitched voice, whom I love to death. She has the sweetest smile, & I don't see ill effects to her. I still don't like them though. lol I'm allowed too. I do agree w/ you though, the editing of T & T I'm sure tries to show the most shocking stuff. & I also agree w/ you on the parents in any area can push their kids too hard. The area I'm afraid I might push my kids too hard in later on is academics. I can already feel myself doing it to my son. Mostly in math. I guess we all have our 'vices'.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:14 AM

154 posts, read 392,057 times
I dont think it is sad that they are being , so called "exploited" or being in the public eye. The sad part is they are teaching them to act like white trash, be entertaining which is really just being abnoxious and teach them that bleach colored hair and spray tan will guarantee them to be "pretty"..

When they hit like 10 all that loud mouthing behavior will not be so "cute" or tolerable. In addition, when they get older most of them will not be "hot"...so their entire childhood promise of being the beautiful one will completely screw their head up.

I saw one of those little anna nicoles on The View recently, singing "cutey patooty" or some crap and I cringed the entire time, especially when the whole song bragged on her looks, it even made a child look ugly and gross. Having a child involved in the public is not a prob, but atleast teach them class while doing it.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:44 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
I also saw one where the mom kept having kids until she got a girl. Her first 4 were boys. Wouldn't you love to be those boys, knowing Mom was hoping and praying for a girl and only had them to try and get one?. Does Mom even realize what it probably does to those boys to hear that?
seriouisly, something like this and what the other woman said, about having a child to only enter her in pagents, she should be investigated and screened by the child services...and perhaps made to go to counseling as she is an unfit parent. But in all fairness to these children, this should be illegal. It's absolutely insane...and these parents should most certainly be evaluated, don't you think? Or is it me?

Old 07-21-2011, 04:51 AM

well, perhaps I'm being way to harsh, and yes, I've only seen the bad stuff...I just don't think it is right or normal to do to any child...? Perhaps I'm wrong...as I see your points of view...however, as I said before, you said you had a good time doing these pagents, but if you didn't know anything else, how could you compare, perhaps children love this b/c they're getting so much attention from they're parents? I don't know, it just seems so abnormal to do to a small child?

Old 07-21-2011, 05:07 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Just interested to know, what do you think of parents who exploit they're kids like say...for instance, Eden Woods?....What's your take on this?
I think it is close to an obscenity, and I very seriously question the mentality and motivation of parents who indulge in this.

The sports training obessesion at least lacks that "ick factor," though I am dubious about it.

Some parents clearly do not understand the difference between a child and a show dog.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linmora View Post
I know that I will get flamed for saying this but the snippets of what I've seen from the show disgust me. Watching some of these parents who are obsessed (my opinion) is disturbing. They seem to be living their lives through their child. It is sad when so much focus is put on being pretty or having the best clothes. Even more disturbing are some of the brats who pitch tantrums and are acting like little prima donnas. Plus, I think that some of the little girls and their routines make them look like little hookers. I'm never sure how much in reality TV is staged or real. Not a fan of the show at all. People are not portrayed in a positive light in most of the snippets that I've watched.

I think that it is fantastic for kids to have a passion and to do stuff they are interested in. Not sure if all the kids I see on the show are in that situation. More like the parents forcing it.
I would hope you wouldn't get flamed...your certainly entitled to your opinion, and I believe the general consensis is, that most of us are against it...

My belief is this, anything in access is wrong, when it becomes an obsession...when you can only eat, sleep and live it constantly...and this show certainly portrays that it is an obsession, not to mention, the comments that some of the mothers have made...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting