Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 03:56 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
Why do people always refer to beauty pageants as entertainment for pedophiles? It really doesn't make sense. If a pedo wants to see children all they have to do is go to a park, beach, mall, some even become teachers.

With all the teachers having affairs with children, which do you think is safer for your child? The majority of people who attend beauty pageants are family members of the contestants not random strangers, I was in pageants so I know what I am talking about. And if you actually watch the show the same pageant directors and judges(who have been judging pageants for years, some even been in pageants themselves) are featured same as in real life. There are many other TV shows that have kids in them, rest assured the pedos don't just tune in to only watch toddlers & tiaras.
But why make your kids targets ? And if you think pedofiles dont attend child pagents you are kidding yourself . Okay well not many other shows have 3 yr olds dressed up like hookers either . So that point there is dead . I think we should be teaching our daughters to get degrees instead of crowns . I dont think very many of these pagent parents teach their daughters it is more important to get an education instead of a crown or money . Oh yes these parent see dollar signs too cause I did see a couple of pagents that were offering cash prizes . Degrees last alot longer than looks and will get you further . I can just see a whole generation of dumber than rocks adults from this . I would love to see a study on how many pagent parents have an education behind them and or degrees .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 04:10 PM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
My daughter turned on the show yesterday, and I immediately made her change the channel. I won't allow it on in the house I don't find anything entertaining about parents pimping their little girls out like that. It makes me sad and angry. It's not the competitiveness part of it so much, but it's the blatant sexualization of these young girls that makes me sick.

That said, as has been noted, the show (like all of those shows) select which parts they are going to show us in order to push our buttons.
I'm sure they do, however, if it's really upsetting people, why do they watch it, if it didn't get ratings, they'd take it off...really really scares me, what our society deems entertainment today, also shows a lack of a lot of intelligence, self esteem, humbleness, and quit frankly, those parents should be embarrassed, not to mention, where in the world is Children Services...?????? These parents need to be taught how to be a parent.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:22 PM

572 posts, read 1,299,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Just interested to know, what do you think of parents who exploit they're kids like say...for instance, Eden Woods?

I personally think it's very sad, and parents who do this to they're kids, need to be investigated...also, I also feel the same way about sports and the Olympics for children....

What's your take on this?
Pageants no.

Sports, I think if the kid enjoys sports, then by all means let them participate. My daughter is in soccer, dance, and gymnastics. She is athletic. I was athletic at her age too. I think if a child finds a sport he/she enjoys you should encourage them to participate in it. That doesn't mean be a stage parent, but with the rate of childhood obesity, I would gladly allow my kid to play sports rather sit on their butts and watch television.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:50 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
Why do people always refer to beauty pageants as entertainment for pedophiles? It really doesn't make sense. If a pedo wants to see children all they have to do is go to a park, beach, mall, some even become teachers.

A the play gound little girls don't run around in tight little outfits, made up to look like teenage girls, shaking their hips in your face, do they!!!
Parents who put their daughters through crap like this are just disgusting, plain and simple. They are too ugly themselves so they have to exploit the only thing that's pretty in their life; Just to make themselves look good.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:43 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,144,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Just interested to know, what do you think of parents who exploit they're kids like say...for instance, Eden Woods?

I personally think it's very sad, and parents who do this to they're kids, need to be investigated...also, I also feel the same way about sports and the Olympics for children....

What's your take on this?

I'm with you 100% on all of the above. The sad part is that there is a new name for the children in these beauty contests. They call them (Prost-a-tots), because that's what these parents make them / forceing to look like.

I see these parents as those who are trying to relive their failed miserables lives vicariously through their children by forceing them to compete. Just so they can feel better about themselves.

I've seen these same type of parents screaming and yelling at their children at pee-wee baseball games just because they missed a catch , or ran the other way to 3rd base. They make me want to pile their heads into a pole sometimes. Thank God most of the cities here in Ohio have an "Unruly Parent Rule", that says the umpires can request that the police have the parents removed from the area away from the game.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:46 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,196,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
As for pure pushing and exploitation, I don't think these moms are anything different from the sports- and other extra-curriculum parents; or even from Tiger Moms pushing elite academics on their children. Ultimately they are all motivated by the desire to give their children an advantage in an increasingly competitive and insecure world (OK...maybe mixed with a good dose of narcissism).

Noble? No.
Evolutionist? Yes.

The trouble with the tiara option, compared to the others, is that it is really crass and uses sexuality at a completely inappropriate age to to give that most wanted "leg up".

Insisting a bright child do his or her best vs tarting up little Isabella like a very short two dollar hooker...yeah, there's a huge flippin' difference, IMO.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Insisting a bright child do his or her best vs tarting up little Isabella like a very short two dollar hooker...yeah, there's a huge flippin' difference, IMO.
Ita. I think sports are almost as important as academics. Sports teach children and adults important interpersonal skills. Not to mention, taking care of oneself. I am a coach, and have been involved in team sports for 30 years. In all those years, I have had TWO parents who were stage parents. The vast majority of parents are great.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:23 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,196,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo61397 View Post
Ita. I think sports are almost as important as academics. Sports teach children and adults important interpersonal skills. Not to mention, taking care of oneself. I am a coach, and have been involved in team sports for 30 years. In all those years, I have had TWO parents who were stage parents. The vast majority of parents are great.
I think sports can be useful, but I'm not quite ready to say they're as important as academics. Even for the kid who is a good athlete, what gets her accepted into college is stuff like National Merit Scholar and top 10 in her class. The fact that she has athletics in her application may help-- but the academics do the trick. She would have to be an extremely elite athlete to get into college on that alone-- even at someplace like U of F.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
I think sports can be useful, but I'm not quite ready to say they're as important as academics. Even for the kid who is a good athlete, what gets her accepted into college is stuff like National Merit Scholar and top 10 in her class. The fact that she has athletics in her application may help-- but the academics do the trick. She would have to be an extremely elite athlete to get into college on that alone-- even at someplace like U of F.
Well, they certainly aren't comparable to what some of the other posters are saying. As stated earlier, I have participated in competitive athletics for 30-some years, as a player, coach, and now as a parent. There are benefits to participating in sports, and the parents the OP is referring to when it comes to sports are few and far between. I think it's sad that athletics are vilified, especially when children have issues like Type 2 Diabetes and recesses and PE are being cut.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:57 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,917,208 times
Quote:
I agree. My company gives away six $20,000 scholarships each year to deserving children of our employees. The majority of kids who get the scholarships don't even play sports- they are obviously very good students and involved in other things such as community service, school clubs, band, theatre, etc. but it definitely doesn't have to be sports...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting