Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2010, 05:13 PM

181 posts, read 323,803 times

Advertisements

I was never spanked, yet I have a spanking fetish. I am the spanker though, not spankee.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:35 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,833,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaAndOranges View Post
I was never spanked, yet I have a spanking fetish. I am the spanker though, not spankee.
My sister pulled my hair a lot as a child. Does this mean I will grow up (i am grown up) to have a lesbian hair pulling fetish? hmmm...how will my boyfriend ever understand...

Old 05-25-2010, 05:48 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,103,988 times
I was spanked as a kid.

A lot.

No spanking fetish here.

Never had so much as a speeding ticket either.

Not saying I don't speed, I've just learned to outsmart the punisher

Old 05-26-2010, 09:31 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,292,176 times
I only scanned this long article. However, several things stood out to me about it.

1. The author, Dugan, was anti-spanking before he wrote the article.

2. Dugan states " No two individuals are alike".

3. Dugan admits that "Definitive research has yet to be done".

I don't dispute that if spanking (just like any other practice) is carried to an extreme it may result in problems. The idea though that typical parents who use ordinary spanking with their kids ought to be concerned about causing their kids to have a spanking fetish is just silly.

I guess I would define ordinary spanking as a few slaps of a hand to a clothed butt. (I hope underwear counts as "clothed" because I have spanked that way on a couple of occasions). If this is all it takes to cause a "fetish" than heaven knows what else is causing our children to develop fetishes? Perhaps, all those fights at the dinner table over eating properly are turning our children in to anorexics and bulemics? How about a seat belt fetish from all the times we have to demand our children put on their seat belts in the car?

I'm starting to think getting into this childraising business was a terrible mistake. Think of all the harm we are doing children by raising them.

Seriously though, if the anti-spanking people are going to win this debate than they are going to have to come up with alternative discipline techniques that work better than the ones I've seen so far. Time outs, grounding, and even loss of privileges have their limitations. What works with one child doesn't necessarily work with another. Ultimately, a child's parent is a better judge of what works than some child psychologist studying and doing research at a college.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:54 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,870,240 times
If spanking was so wonderful and worked then parents would only have to do it once and the child would never do another wrong thing. If you have had to do it more than once in your child's childhood, ask yourself whether you might want to try something else.

Another thing is that parents who spank have to ask themselves what are they so afraid of. Do you seriously think they will end up in jail if you don't hit them? Jails are filled up with those who have been hit. Read the studies. The nicest kids I know, including my own, have parents who are respectful towards them, treat them with dignity and at the same are in charge.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:14 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,914,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
If spanking was so wonderful and worked then parents would only have to do it once and the child would never do another wrong thing. If you have had to do it more than once in your child's childhood, ask yourself whether you might want to try something else.

Another thing is that parents who spank have to ask themselves what are they so afraid of. Do you seriously think they will end up in jail if you don't hit them? Jails are filled up with those who have been hit. Read the studies. The nicest kids I know, including my own, have parents who are respectful towards them, treat them with dignity and at the same are in charge.
If time-outs work so well, then wouldn't parents only have to do it once and the kid would learn their lesson? Really I could subsitute spanking in your first sentence for any discipline method and you'd still have the same outcome: it's short term!

Old 05-27-2010, 07:09 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,870,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
If time-outs work so well, then wouldn't parents only have to do it once and the kid would learn their lesson? Really I could subsitute spanking in your first sentence for any discipline method and you'd still have the same outcome: it's short term!
I never said that time-outs are the answer.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:50 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,812,828 times
I think what someone is trying to state is if you have to reinforce something very frequently then you're falling behind. It makes sense..... it doesn't take too long for a sane human to understand what is right/wrong. If it goes all the way through the early teen years and they still haven't learn then something is wrong and thus you simple lost the battle long ago.

Too much usage to something can be the ultimate downfall to anything.

Last edited by Sunflower_lol; 05-27-2010 at 11:00 AM..

Old 05-27-2010, 10:03 PM

219 posts, read 527,402 times
I have several fetishes (not spanking) and my attitude is I'll try most things at least once. There's nothing like a good fetish!

Old 05-30-2010, 10:34 AM

664 posts, read 1,946,183 times
LOL...who cares!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.