Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 10:42 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,868,386 times

Advertisements

I could not believe the news on CNN this morning. An 11 year old boy shot and killed his Dad's Fiance with a "Child sized" shotgun. He shot the woman in the back of the head. She was 8 mos. pregnant; due to deliver in 2 weeks. This woman's 4 year old daughter ran next door to the neighbor for help telling the neighbor, "my mommy won't wake up". Do you believe that an 11 year old should have a shotgun that is sized special for him? I was totally outraged when I heard this news. This child is being charged like an adult with murder on two counts. What about the nutcase Father who got him the gun to begin with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 11:22 AM

2,027 posts, read 4,209,874 times
Can you find a link to the story online? I'd like to read more about this.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:24 AM

2,383 posts, read 6,058,817 times
Boy, 11, accused of killing father's pregnant girlfriend - CNN.com
Here's the story.

After reading the story, I have to say that it is tragic and yes this boy should be tried as an adult if the act was intentional. Growing up in a rural area until I was 7, we had many shotguns in the house and we (my brother and I) were taught gun safety and how to use a gun properly. It never crossed my mind to act out in this manner or my brother's. As a matter of fact, everyone we knew in our area, knew how to hunt and nothing like this ever occured.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:26 AM

That's really sad, he might be a sociopath or something. I don't think he should have had easy access to his gun. I understand that some people like to hunt and teach their children how to hunt and handle a gun responsibly but in terms of safety the gun should have been locked up and kept away from the child except when they were out hunting.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:27 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
And how do you think families survived premodern times? For some, the guns are a necessity.

Normal, healthy children do not pick up a gun & shot people for the heck it.

I am sure when the info gets out, there is a whole list of issues with the child & family.

The fact that the child had unsupervised access to the gun was very much wrong. And this obviously points to issues within the family.

And, it could have also just been a horrible, horrible tragedy.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:22 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,067,533 times
Access to the gun is not the issue. Since the beginning of time (well, at least since the beginning of guns) there have been guns in homes. Because it wasn't locked, isn't why this woman was killed. If that boy wanted her dead, and didn't have the gun at his disposal, her death may have been a lot more brutal.

A lot of you do not seperate means from intent. Because a gun is available, doesn't mean someone will kill with it. For generations people did not lock guns up. They were standing in corners and put under beds or in closets. A lot of people still have guns not locked up.

My dad had a shotgun in his bedroom. We, as kids, looked at it and even touched it many, many times, but never played with it or thought of it as a way to kill each other.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Access to the gun is not the issue. Since the beginning of time (well, at least since the beginning of guns) there have been guns in homes. Because it wasn't locked, isn't why this woman was killed. If that boy wanted her dead, and didn't have the gun at his disposal, her death may have been a lot more brutal.

A lot of you do not seperate means from intent. Because a gun is available, doesn't mean someone will kill with it. For generations people did not lock guns up. They were standing in corners and put under beds or in closets. A lot of people still have guns not locked up.

My dad had a shotgun in his bedroom. We, as kids, looked at it and even touched it many, many times, but never played with it or thought of it as a way to kill each other.
That's true, I believe he probably would have killed her anyway. But maybe he would have reconsidered if he didn't have easy access to his gun. She also might have been able to fight back if she hadn't been shot in the back of the head. Plus, according to the story, the woman had a four year old and seven year old daughter. Putting the gun away for their safety alone would have made sense.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:04 PM

288 posts, read 918,122 times
I grew up around guns. My father was a cop and in the army reserves. We had loaded guns of all sorts all over the house all the time. My sister and I never touched one. We were taught not to. He took us rabbit hunting one day so we could see exactly what guns do. We never touched a gun.....even now, I will not touch a gun. However, I do think my dad was wrong to leave loaded weapons in easy reach of young children and I think that if he had it to do over, he would not do that again.

I also think that this boy should be charged with the murder of that baby. I'm assuming the baby died as well since there was no mention of anyone managing to cut open the poor dead mother to save the baby.

Horrible...just horrible.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:17 PM

563 posts, read 1,025,903 times
It is horrible, but it is also horrible that it is not shocking anymore or surprising. Not to me anyway.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:22 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,067,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICvegan View Post
I also think that this boy should be charged with the murder of that baby.
He is being charged with the death of the baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting