Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 10:32 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,720,650 times

Advertisements

The recent deaths of two children in New York and Boston because of the flu underline once again, if necessary, the importance of getting immunized against the illness.

Hunter Pope, a seventh-grader at Boston Latin Academy died over the weekend from the flu, according to initial lab tests.

Deaths of Two Children from Flu – A Wakeup Call to Get Vaccinated (http://www.efluxmedia.com/news_Deaths_of_Two_Children_from_Flu_A_Wakeup_Call _to_Get_Vaccinated_35175.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 11:10 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,236,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
The recent deaths of two children in New York and Boston because of the flu underline once again, if necessary, the importance of getting immunized against the illness.

Hunter Pope, a seventh-grader at Boston Latin Academy died over the weekend from the flu, according to initial lab tests.

Deaths of Two Children from Flu – A Wakeup Call to Get Vaccinated (http://www.efluxmedia.com/news_Deaths_of_Two_Children_from_Flu_A_Wakeup_Call _to_Get_Vaccinated_35175.html - broken link)

Not enough reason for me. Thank you though

Plus, I'd rather take some vitamin D than pump me and my family full of even more toxic chemicals and unnecessary antibiotics!

Old 02-21-2009, 11:14 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,532,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
Not enough reason for me. Thank you though
How about maybe a "Bless the souls of those children & their parents as they go through a living hell"...

Then, go on about YOU...

Classy to have a smiley face on a thread about death.

The flu can be deadly immunized or not.

Bless those families.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:20 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,236,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
How about maybe a "Bless the souls of those children & their parents as they go through a living hell"...

Then, go on about YOU...

Classy to have a smiley face on a thread about death.

The flu can be deadly immunized or not.

Bless those families.

It IS titled with a "wake up call to go get vaccinated!"

The assumption with the title and the OP was definitely NOT to say "bless these poor souls" rather to bring up vaccines AGAIN.

But you are right in some way soooo

Bless these poor families. What a horrible thing to have to go through. I have them in my thoughts always. No family should EVER have to go through something like this.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:29 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,924,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
and unnecessary antibiotics!
Are there antibiotics in the flu mist vaccine?

And it is sad those kids died. I choose to vaccinate mine, but I think its a parent's decision.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:48 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,267,408 times
no, the flu is a virus, so antibiotics are useless against it.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:01 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,364,046 times
The poor kid. How awful.

I just read a comment somewhere supposedly by a boston high school teacher complaining that there is no soap in the bathrooms.

Maybe this is a wake up call for us to be more vigilant w/our children's schools about the facilities necessary for them to reduce transmission of germs.

Also, I wonder how he died, supposedly it was from complications of the flu, so what exactly caused his death?

Old 02-21-2009, 12:25 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,666,895 times
Usually it would be respiratory complications that cause death w/ the flu. Of course, just speculating.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:30 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,924,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
no, the flu is a virus, so antibiotics are useless against it.
Oh, I know that - I was just wondering why she mentioned antibiotics in a flu vaccine thread.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:30 PM

14,860 posts, read 42,983,085 times
We ALWAYS all get the flu vaccine. Our youngest has asthma so her getting the flu is NOT GOOD! She ended up getting the flu anyway last year since the strain of flu that was going around was not in the vaccine. Because we keep a close eye on her we got her into the doc and on some tamiflu and she was fine. I'm recovering from the flu right now myself - ugh. I don't recall ever having it and I don't ever want it again. Sometimes they miss what strain of flu is going to go around and it isn't in the vaccine.

So far here in our area a 6 year old girl died earlier this week from the flu and a 49 year old woman last month. I asked my husband yesterday what sign should I be watching for. I guess cause I caught it in time and went to the doc and started tamiflu I should be okay. Waiting to take any action is what can cause death from the flu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting