Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 07:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,338 times

Advertisements

ok so im a teenager. i admit i snorted a smartie. yes it stings but it does absolutly nothing and i will never do such a thing again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 07:35 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
We raised three non-smokers by the liberal use of my husband's Command and Control voice which, as often as we deemed necessary, he used to inform each of them (solely or as part of the group) that if we ever so much as caught them with a cigarette they would be eating the whole pack. In front of us. Every crumb. And they knew we weren't just messing with their heads. This "snorting" insanity would have launched us into sub-orbit and no one would have been sticking around to discover the punishment.

Sometimes fear is a very good thing.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:22 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,953 times
Bahahah I did this as a kid.....

Old 10-20-2010, 09:34 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times
If inhaled sugar goes "down the wrong pipe" and sits in the lungs or the nasal cavity, it could cause an infection - it (the sugar) stays moist and attracts bacteria.

It could also cause one to laryngospasm, which is when your voice box spasms & closes up.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:51 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
IMO, you handled this very poorly - by freaking out over something that does nothing except iritate your sinuses (infection isn't likely and I doubt you could readily choke on anything that fits through your nasal cavity) you are breaking down some of the bonds of trust
The OP absolutely did the right thing. You might not choke, but you might not get the smarties all crushed up/sliced/diced to a powder fine enough to not get a few pieces lodged in your damn nose and have to see an ENT to get them taken out.

Quote:
IMO, the better response would of been to dismiss it as a pretty juvenille activity, explain that it can't feel good and that at that age some kids are just bored and looking for attention ..... don't let them suck you into their environment, be happy with yourself and your performance in your own sphere .... i trust that you wouldn't do something like that
If your kids are bored at that age I'd suggest handing them a book or changing schools where they are more challenged so they can't play the "so smart and so bored, just looking for attention so I'm gonna do stupid ****" that emulates bigger and much worse "things" and be handed a get away with it free-card....'cuz it's only smarties!

What does "don't let them suck you into their environment" mean? And the "be happy with yourself and your performance in your own sphere"?

Ignore your kids? Function as an adult, forget you have a responsibility to parent? Just let kids be kids?

I'd like to know where these parents of the smartie snuffers are? Plenty of YouTube videos with "instructions" by the kids. Where are parents who don't know what their kids are doing on the damn computer?

Apple don't fall too far. As usual.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:59 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,426,497 times
Back in my day, all the cool kids (a group I did not belong in) snorted that powder that came with the hard white candy stick.. dip N' something...dip & stix or whatever. Pixies as well.

You can't get high off of it obviously-just major burns and some nose bleeds. Kids are stupid and thinks it makes them look cool-

Old 10-21-2010, 07:10 AM

208 posts, read 271,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
We raised three non-smokers by the liberal use of my husband's Command and Control voice which, as often as we deemed necessary, he used to inform each of them (solely or as part of the group) that if we ever so much as caught them with a cigarette they would be eating the whole pack. In front of us. Every crumb. And they knew we weren't just messing with their heads. This "snorting" insanity would have launched us into sub-orbit and no one would have been sticking around to discover the punishment.
Surely it would have been eating the whole pack wouldn't it? Consistency!

Old 10-21-2010, 07:53 AM

486 posts, read 1,665,982 times
So, what's happened? Did you call the school? Hopefully you've been able to talk with your tween and calm down the dynamic between you two so that she'll keep coming to talk to you in the future.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:02 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I thought this was a joke when I first read it.

What a waste of Smarties--but WHY would anyone want to do this????
That's what I thought when I saw this thread: What a waste of smarties!

Old 10-21-2010, 09:31 AM

90 posts, read 219,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
To the OP: What you have is your most valuable tool; COMMUNICATION WITH YOUR DAUGHTER. She came to you with this. No parent will ever have more strength than open communication with their teen, and it starts when they are babies.

Give your daughter a high five for me. She did the right thing by coming to you with this.
I agree. But I would not have called the school. I volunteer frequently at my daughter's school. I can tell you they are very aware of what goes on with the kids.

My 13 year old daughter tells me everything. As hard as it is, I do not judge the stuff she tells me. I explain safety concerns, health issues, negative consequences, etc. She feels safe coming to me and asking me questions about smoking/drugs/alcohol, sex, concern over friend's behaviors, etc.

If I ever called the school, or another parent, it would end the line of communication I have with my daughter. My daughter is my number one priority. She needs to feel free to come to me for advice. I do not want to close that channel and have her turn to her friends instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting