Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 12:08 PM

5 posts, read 10,004 times

Advertisements

I have a question. I recently went trought court to settle child custody and child support. And I was very happy with the results, untill I recently review my paper and realize they said " The father should be entitled to claim the child on federal and state tax return. The mother should be claimed to the "earned income credit" for the child tax return 2008." What does this mean? Who gets to claim him and who doesn't? and What does it mean with 2008? Do i only get one year of tax return from my child? I was very confused with this. Does any one knows what this all means?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 01:38 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,058 times
I'm not sure what that wording means, but you should have agreed to every other year claiming the child, my attorney told me that's the MOST common way of handling it, that way each parent gets to claim the child sometimes...

Old 03-05-2009, 01:58 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,065,064 times
It's only right, that if the father is paying to support the kids, he is the one who claims them on his taxes. Chances are, that he makes more money, child support is determined by his earnings, so the court figures he is contributing the bulk of the actual support of the kids. Why wouldn't he be the one to claim them?

Old 03-05-2009, 02:26 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,058 times
My lawyer told me it's customary for parents to do every other year.
His income doesn't matter, just becasue the mother makes less doesn't mean she shouldnt be able to benefit from getting more money back because SHE supports her child as well...SHEESH.

Any lawyer will tell you the same.

I would never agree to let the father have all the ability to claim and you none..it's not fair.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:11 PM

87 posts, read 372,884 times
It's commonly set up so that the person (mother or father) who is providing the bulk of the financial support gets to claim them on the tax return. That benefit of getting to claim them, at least in our state, is shared on a pro rata basis by the claimer paying an increase in child support.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:58 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,899,461 times
If you provide more than half of the child support and the child lives with you more than 50% of the year, you should be entitled to claim him/her as a dependent. If the other parent provides more than half the support and the child resides with them for more than 50% of the year, they should be entitiled to the claim.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:32 AM

1,147 posts, read 1,898,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
If you provide more than half of the child support and the child lives with you more than 50% of the year, you should be entitled to claim him/her as a dependent. If the other parent provides more than half the support and the child resides with them for more than 50% of the year, they should be entitiled to the claim.

And what about where one parent provides more then half of the support, and the other has the child for more then 50% of the year?

Just asking since I never could fig out how a situation like the one above would go.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:56 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,281,000 times
If you have a parent willing to pay more than 50% of the child's expenses and doesn't want more than 50% of the time with the child... I have a feeling the parents can come to an arraingement about this.

In my state, the person the child lives with files him/her on the taxes. Some parents agree to swap years, but CS here calculates the tax credit into the formula.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:57 AM

473 posts, read 714,472 times
regardless of what it says on your child support or divorce decree- according to the irs- you have to have not only paid for 50% support, but that child must have spent more than 50% of their time with you. we have been audited 5 times in 10 years and everytime was an issue related to claiming our children (we have 5).
it clearly states in his divorce decree that dh pays 100% support, is entitled to claim both children on taxes, yet we still had to proove to irs that they lived with us most of the time. they did not care what the divorce decree said, even though we sent them a certified copy. fortunately, i kept a diary and had documented when the kids were with us, which was usable, that and she didnt contest. we finally decided to get primary residency (custody) established with us so we wouldnt have to go through that particular argument again.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:01 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,670,675 times
Mercy, just bring out the sword and give the kid the King Solomon treatment. Folks this is a human being, not a tax deduction. Stop using your child for financial gain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting