Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 08:43 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,229,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Just ignore djacques. He's not worth your time.

IIRC, a few months ago on another thread, he was suggesting that 12 and 13 year olds should be legally allowed to consent to sex with ADULTS.

I remember now! THAT was a horrible thread.

I just want to make clear that I do view sex as something beautiful between two people that love each other AND as something people do for fun (as adults).

I am always going to speak openly about this to my children. I don't want them to be ashamed or embarrassed, you know. A child is just not ready to take a leap like that you know? I just can't put it into words. There are just more important things a child/young adult should be doing. And as a parent or anyone who guides our youth, we should guide them in the direction of more productive things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 08:54 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
I am always going to speak openly about this to my children. I don't want them to be ashamed or embarrassed, you know. A child is just not ready to take a leap like that you know? I just can't put it into words.
There is a reason you can't put it into words: because it isn't actually a coherent thought backed by any specific reasons. It's a notion, an emotional reflex, a bit of inherited mental lint.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:01 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,229,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
There is a reason you can't put it into words: because it isn't actually a coherent thought backed by any specific reasons. It's a notion, an emotional reflex, a bit of inherited mental lint.
To me a conversation/discussion is two or more people sharing ideas and each person walking away a bit more knowledgeable in some way.

For some reason when I converse with you, that does not happen

Old 04-12-2009, 12:43 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,128,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
that's not the point. The other girl in question is the gay teen's girlfriend.
Oh yeah, that was NOT in the OP so stop acting like it was.

That might make a difference to some parents because now we are at the point where hanky panky goes on.

Well it would be kind of hard to preach about abstinence if she has already had experiences as a gay individual. If she has already had sex so there usually is no going back from that. Have they done the deed would make a difference in my mind. I wouldn't want to be responsible for the other girl personally.

Neither would get pregnant so that is a HUGE plus. But I would treat it the same as a boy and girl dating and sleeping over. Not going to happen.

Before even contemplating it, I would insist on talking to the other girls parents so they know their child is dating my child. Just to prevent any future issues with them.
Since gay marriage is not legal in my state, it is not like i could claim "save it for when you get married" or whatever crap parents throw at their children these days. Kind of hypocritical to say save it for NEVER. You will never have a chance to live that dream.

But it always comes down to, your rules, your house.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:49 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,067,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Well it would be kind of hard to preach about abstinence if she has already had experiences which makes you KNOW she is gay. She has already had sex so there usually is no going back from that.
No experience, just know. It doesn't take a sexual encounter to know you are gay. Neither of these girls have had sex.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:48 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Oh yeah, that was NOT in the OP so stop acting like it was.

That might make a difference to some parents because now we are at the point where hanky panky goes on.

Well it would be kind of hard to preach about abstinence if she has already had experiences as a gay individual. If she has already had sex so there usually is no going back from that. Have they done the deed would make a difference in my mind. I wouldn't want to be responsible for the other girl personally.

Neither would get pregnant so that is a HUGE plus. But I would treat it the same as a boy and girl dating and sleeping over. Not going to happen.

Before even contemplating it, I would insist on talking to the other girls parents so they know their child is dating my child. Just to prevent any future issues with them.
Since gay marriage is not legal in my state, it is not like i could claim "save it for when you get married" or whatever crap parents throw at their children these days. Kind of hypocritical to say save it for NEVER. You will never have a chance to live that dream.

But it always comes down to, your rules, your house.
I'm not acting like it was. I'm acting like you should maybe read more than one post before making an ASSumption.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:40 AM

207 posts, read 243,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
To have a sleep over, or not to have a sleep over, that is the question.

Should gay kids have the same priviledge of having sleep overs as straight kids? It's kind of confusing. For a gay girl, it would be the same as having a boy sleep over. For a gay boy, it would be the same as having a girl sleep over.

Should gay kids only have straight friends over? Should gay kids be allowed to have another gay friend sleep over?

I'm talking about young teens.

I don't think sexuality should matter *shrugs* I was a gay kid and I had sleepovers plenty of times..I don't think it's much different then a straight kid having a sleepover. I mean it's really only an issue if they're having a specific friend that they are interested in sleep over...and if communication lines are open the parent should be able to tell the child what behavior is or isn't acceptable in their house and the child should respect it and still be able to have their friend spend the night. JMO

Old 04-17-2009, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
I don't think you can be gay or know what it means when your that young.

I knew for a FACT I was gay at 12.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
But that's like punishing her for being gay. Other kids enjoy sleep overs with only one close friend.

See my dilemma?

Why not just tell her she can have the sleep over but you expect her to respect you and the fact that you think she's too young to have sex and that if you find out she's been acting in ways you don't think are appropriate she will lose the right to have sleepovers. How old are we talking here? like 13? or like 16?

Old 04-17-2009, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Is this a "best friend" or a "girlfriend"? I wouldn't let my kid have their boyfriend or girlfriend sleep over, and I don't know any parent who would.

Speaking as a person who is a lesbian...in all my relationships my partners have been my best friends at the time...and I have friends that feel the same way...I think it is common in lesbian relationships for the person you are dating to be your best friend..so chances are...probably she is both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting