Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 05:11 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times

Advertisements

Great advice right above me!!
Also, can you model good behavior (enjoying reading?). In my son's old school in NY they had "Dear Time" (drop everything and read). I suggest you and your family have a reading time. Get comfy on the sofa or in the same room and just all read for 1/2 an hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 07:13 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
Yes we do all read maybe for 30 mins twice a weekend. I do pick him up books on subjects like baseball that he is interested in and other sports and history.

Will take the other opinions also
Thank you
d

Old 04-07-2009, 11:35 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
One thing that was not clear to me---does he read with comprehension? When he does read, does he understand what he has just read? Maybe he has a reading disability, and gets good marks in other courses because he remembers what he is given orally in class.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:26 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
He does remember almost everything when given it orally. But when it comes down to reading and writing, its hard. He is rx'd as learning disabled to get services ; gets reading resource daily at school and has an IEP. He does understand most of what he reads.

But my real question was really do I continue to bug him(his words) about reading and writing or do I just try to sit back and say nothing.
d

Old 04-08-2009, 06:08 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
You might want to get him a tutor if you can afford it or take him to an organization such as sylvan . they helped my son during the summer once and he came back to school so far ahead of the other kids and was reading on a 6th grade level when in 3rd grade the teacher was so loving it she always called on him to read the story time to the rest of the class and he always got called on to read and this really helped to boost his self esteem as well. It was so worth the money I spent just to see the look on his face when ever he talked about how miss so and so called on him . So I would definately reccomend either a private tutor or a place like sylvan .

Old 04-08-2009, 08:06 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
He might be dyslexic. Get a blue plastic overlay for him to read through, and see if it helps. I know it sounds over the top, but this really, really works miracles on most dyslexics. You can get a sheet of transparent blue plastic at an office supply store for less than a dollar---just use one of those blue-tinted sleeves that documents can be slid into in ring binders. Worth a try. If it works, then a cheap pair of blue-tinted sunglasses will work as well.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:11 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
He does remember almost everything when given it orally. But when it comes down to reading and writing, its hard. He is rx'd as learning disabled to get services ; gets reading resource daily at school and has an IEP. He does understand most of what he reads.

But my real question was really do I continue to bug him(his words) about reading and writing or do I just try to sit back and say nothing.
d
You could try telling him that you're not going to say anything about his homework for a week or two to see if he can handle the responsibility on his own. Tell his teacher also. Then see what happens. If he doesn't do any of it, you know you have to keep on him. If he does, he gets lots of praise and you back off some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting