Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 06:18 PM

515 posts, read 1,330,561 times

Advertisements

Yep. I didn't have a boyfriend throughout all of high school.

Just because some kids start early and make bad decisions doesn't mean there aren't good kids out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 06:38 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
I was not allowed to date or have any sort of "ongoing" relationship with a boy until I was 16. I did have a summer "interest" on vacation, at 14, but that was not really a problem as my parents knew it couldn't go anywhere.

I still think 16 is an appropriate age for dating. I don't understand why people think that kids need to start younger. It's worked out well for us, so I stick by that.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:06 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It really seems like the relationship isn't causing a problem, from what you describe. If anything, it may help to keep your daughter grounded.
Considering she has issues with empathy, a relationship she wants to be in is a good thing. It's just that issue of keeping it appropriate for her age .

Old 04-11-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J double R View Post
as i'm sure you were at that age?
The scary part is I remember being 13 and it wasn't homework I was thinking about

My mom encouraged relationships with boys if she liked them (supervised of course). I didn't like the boys she liked though and the ones I liked didn't like me so it, simply, was not an issue. I was kind of hoping the same thing would happen with my girls.

It is with my youngest. She's had several boys interested in her but she's not interested in any of them. None of them compares to Edward Cullen LOL

Old 04-11-2009, 07:17 PM

657 posts, read 1,600,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry251 View Post
Yep. I didn't have a boyfriend throughout all of high school.

Just because some kids start early and make bad decisions doesn't mean there aren't good kids out there.

right, but "good kid" is hardly limited to someone who was focused on schoolwork and not the opposite sex.

plenty of kids know how to socialize and still make good choices.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:35 PM

657 posts, read 1,600,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
The scary part is I remember being 13 and it wasn't homework I was thinking about

me neither.. i turned out fine.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:37 PM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,143,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Our rule? No dating until she's sixteen. So far, we haven't had a problem with it at all. Oh, sure, there are boys she likes, but she hasn't been the stereotypical moody, bratty teenager about matters. I'm hoping she stays that way.

We have a friend who's a counselor and is the local authority on teen drinking, drugs, and sex. Her advice for keeping teens away from all these things? Keep them busy until they're 18. Between violin, drama, choir, church, Habitat for Humanity, the American Heart Association, and A.P. classes, hopefully that'll do the job.
Been there-Done that. 16 was last year.

Thank god-he's a real nice boy...

Old 04-11-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
When I was in Jr. high in in early 80's almost NO ONE was having sex.
By the time I was a senior in highschool...there was a noticeable amount having sex in Jr. High (no...not with me...ewwwwww, but I'd hear thing via my friends with younger siblings and was shocked.)

It's probably going to happen with your daughter sometime in the next couple years so have that talk with her if you haven't already. There is NO way to police her that closely...but it's not a bad idea.
Well, I plan on trying. I keep telling her what's on the line. Every time a girl turns up pregnant at my high school, I remind her that they all think it won't happen to them.

I don't get sex in even high school. It's too young. They're still kids and have no clue what they're getting themselves into. Of course I was the girl no one would go out twice with because I said no. You know, an all girls school is sounding mighty good right now. I wonder if the one near us wants a chemistry/physics/math teacher? I hear they give free tuition for the children of their teachers.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:42 PM

1,863 posts, read 4,299,870 times
This thread is making me wish I didn't get pregnant eight years ago. I am very afraid.

Hopefully she'll be a lesbian.

Kidding.

Kinda.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:46 PM

1,863 posts, read 4,299,870 times
Same sex schools aren't always the answer....they can invite trouble just because they are all-girl schools.

My older cousin and his friends sat outside the high priced Catholic girls high school waiting to see which girl they could get into their car. Some of them were willing participants. It was also interesting to see how short those plaid pleated skirts got also. Some of the girls even wore over-the-knee socks.

**Edited to add: I didn't mean to take on a misogynistic slant like a few other posts in this thread.

Instead of only locking away your female children, how about teaching both boys and girls the dangers of sex. I think many people (unintentionally or not) want to leave that to the girls. After all it is her who gets pregnant or gets her heartbroken, not the boy. Of course teen boys may get hurt too, they just don't show it as much.

I've heard people say "Oh, I'm glad I don't have any daughters! I won't be getting any bad phone calls!". As if when their son knocks someone up they won't be responsible.

It is a new age, hold both young women and men accountable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting