Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 10:05 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,071,962 times

Advertisements

We all have our crosses to bear.

Why is the media so intent on dredging things like this up forever? When something happens, the media has it in our faces constantly for months, then reminds us of it for years.

It was newsworthy for a couple days 10 years ago, but wore out after that. A lot of awful things happen. Life happens. Death happens. I would think it would become more of a personal thing for the families after the first day or two, but honestly, it's old news and has been for 10 years for the rest of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 10:39 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,975,479 times
There are many people that have to live with tramatic events. Some like veterans live with it time after time for twelve months. Other have their loved ones shot right in front of them.It effects different people different ways. I think many times the people being questioned time after time about it drives their fear the forefront many times.It proably would be best if many left the area that is a daily reminder of the events if it effects them badly.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:25 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,914,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
We all have our crosses to bear.

Why is the media so intent on dredging things like this up forever? When something happens, the media has it in our faces constantly for months, then reminds us of it for years.

It was newsworthy for a couple days 10 years ago, but wore out after that. A lot of awful things happen. Life happens. Death happens. I would think it would become more of a personal thing for the families after the first day or two, but honestly, it's old news and has been for 10 years for the rest of the country.
Its because its the 10 yr anniversary and for some people recognizing that is a way to work through it.

Also, because a lot of what was originally thought to be the reason behind the shootings has recently turned out to be incorrect.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
Its because its the 10 yr anniversary and for some people recognizing that is a way to work through it.

Also, because a lot of what was originally thought to be the reason behind the shootings has recently turned out to be incorrect.
The whole country does't need to 'work through it'. It's private for the families involved, but old news for everybody else.

The reason behind the shootings being different is irrelevant 10 years later.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:56 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,499,951 times
Quote:
The reason behind the shootings being different is irrelevant 10 years later
Well, I don't know because while I understand people need to "move ahead" there was so much blatant misinformation regarding the killers that I do think at some point, it is important to clear that part up. Like it or not, the events at Columbine changed many things in most schools today. I agree that dwelling on it serves no useful purpose but neither does leaving the myth that the killers were bullied or were "goths" or whatever. I think part of the hesitancy to move forward is the amount of lies perpetuated by the media, the police, the county etc as well as the mishandling of so many things from the events leading up to it through the actual event. Things that go wrong are inherently more interesting than things that go right. To some extent that is human nature.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:06 AM

26,798 posts, read 26,927,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
...while I understand people need to "move ahead" there was so much blatant misinformation regarding the killers that I do think at some point, it is important to clear that part up.
True. And maybe the interest in it has to do with one's own personal situation. Our oldest was in high school when Columbine occurred and the effect on him, his friends, the teachers, and most parents was devastating. They are, in a way, marked by that time. Also, as a parent, one wonders how and what drove Harris to become who he was, how did Klebold get pulled in, what factors influenced both of them, could it have been prevented? Was Harris truly a psychopath? Is one born that way? Adding to the confusion is the fact that the judge sealed the records of both boys so we may never find out how it all came to happen.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:53 PM

Even so, I don't think it's healthy for things like that to be dredged up. It was on the news continuously for a long time back then. The problem with the media is they won't allow anybody to forget or move on from anything. Their take on events isn't always the most accurate either.

What is the purpose of keeping people constantly thinking about the awful happenings? We are inundated with reminders on every form of media for weeks after something happens that the media deems worthy of their, and our time. They even make TV specials for things. Now, 10 years after Columbine, we are revisiting it. In about 8 years we will be revisiting the Va.Tech. shootings as well. There is never an end to this form of in your face and keep it there media coverage.

I say let those people rest in peace and allow their families get on with their lives.

It's no wonder why people go nuts and start shooting other people, with constant coverage of this kind of stuff.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:48 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,499,951 times
Quote:
Even so, I don't think it's healthy for things like that to be dredged up. It was on the news continuously for a long time back then. The problem with the media is they won't allow anybody to forget or move on from anything. Their take on events isn't always the most accurate either.

What is the purpose of keeping people constantly thinking about the awful happenings? We are inundated with reminders on every form of media for weeks after something happens that the media deems worthy of their, and our time. They even make TV specials for things. Now, 10 years after Columbine, we are revisiting it. In about 8 years we will be revisiting the Va.Tech. shootings as well. There is never an end to this form of in your face and keep it there media coverage.

I say let those people rest in peace and allow their families get on with their lives.

It's no wonder why people go nuts and start shooting other people, with constant coverage of this kind of stuff.
So ignore it. Not a problem. No one is asking you personally to dwell on it. It affected different people in different ways. Just because it didn't affect you in a certain way, it isn't fair to dismiss that it may have affected others more deeply; and honestly, some people are simply curious. The honest truth is, we will never know for sure why it happened. The killers didn't leave notes and even if they did, who knows whether they would be the truth. I recently finished the book Columbine, by David Cullen. It had some interesting observations, which may or may not be "the truth". It holds some interest for me, living fairly close to Columbine and on that day, watching the news, to see people I knew, on TV searching for their kids (they were fine). I don't dwell on it but I do have curiosity and how it was handled (or mishandled) has provided a blueprint for how things are handled in the future.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:52 AM

26,798 posts, read 26,927,806 times
Quote:
You do wonder what role the media plays in all this. Another high school shooting attempt yesterday that, fortunately, was prevented:
Covina High School students accused of planning campus shooting - SGVTribune.com

Old 05-01-2009, 06:39 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,914,638 times
Quote:
It was on the news continuously for a long time back then.
I was living out of the country at the time, so I guess that's why it did not strike me as so much coverage. I heard people watched it on news channels live as the whole situation unfolded. I probably did not even know it happened for at least a few days.

So, to me, seeing stuff about it on the news is a first time thing for me, which I now realize is why my reaction is different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting