Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 03:56 PM

806 posts, read 2,960,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by becwells View Post
Aaah...I nannied for a family that sounds just like yours.
The story you shared is hardly relevant to my family or experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
But it is important to teach them about finacial(sic) literacy.

that the students were ignorant of finance and their parents, as well.
I never said I wouldn't teach my kids these concepts. I just won't let them be more poor than need to be to teach "lessons."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 01:13 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,053,824 times
My daughter doesn't know how much I make, but she obviously thinks I make A LOT since she's always asking for this, that and the other.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:25 PM

668 posts, read 2,187,338 times
My kids know, and they make sure, they get thier share of everything they can! Since I dont give my Daughter an allowance, she gets it every other way... Dance, bowling and everything else under the Sun that I pay out the kiester for, so she can have fun... (It would be cheaper to pay her an allowance, then pay for all her activities!).

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well....

Jesse

Old 04-22-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkingmenace View Post
My kids know, and they make sure, they get thier share of everything they can! Since I dont give my Daughter an allowance, she gets it every other way... Dance, bowling and everything else under the Sun that I pay out the kiester for, so she can have fun... (It would be cheaper to pay her an allowance, then pay for all her activities!).

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well....

Jesse
There you go! That's how it should be.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:20 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamom1 View Post
I was raised with the belief that you don't ever ask anyone how much money they make. So I am always uncomfortable around people who talk about what they make or what their expenses are. I was always told that it was rude and no one else's business.

One day my son and I were talking about how money doesn't grow on trees and he asked me how much money I make. I told him the same thing my mom told me-it's rude to ask people that. But is it rude? Does anyone talk with their kids about their income? I would like to involve my children in knowing how much money we make and what our expenses are so they could have some perspective on what it's like being an adult. Maybe they would think twice before they ask me to buy them something(well probably not, but it would be nice).
my kids are too young to ask this sort of thing yet, so I have no first hand experience. However, I think giving them a vague idea of how much money your bring in, and how much goes out for bills could be a good lesson. It could also give them something to aspire to when they get older (perhaps teach them that they'd make a lot more with a college degree than without). Of course, I wouldn't want the kid going to school and telling all his friends how much we make. If that were a possibility, I'd think twice about telling him.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:19 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,483,331 times
I was raised that you did not ask and you did not know and that has carried through with me. None of my children have ever asked. It is less to do with having something to hide and more to do with it is none of their business and impolite to ask.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I was raised that you did not ask and you did not know and that has carried through with me. None of my children have ever asked. It is less to do with having something to hide and more to do with it is none of their business and impolite to ask.
Its just money. I don't see what the big deal is. The amount of money you get has nothing to do with quality of the person. Its something you spend in an economic system, that you determine has value.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:41 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,832,292 times
Oh heck no! If they did, they'd be wanting to move back home!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting