Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 08:42 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,899,901 times

Advertisements

My son is in the 4th grade, his class has usually taken one "big" field trip* per year, and then a few short trips as well. I have never had to pay anything for him to go, only provide his lunch. (Public school)

*By "big trip", I mean, they travel off our island for the entire day.. not overnight or anything. This year, we went to the planetarium at our state university (since they are studying astronomy this year). They also take shorter field trips (maybe 4 every year?) to locations around our island (nature preserves, historical society, etc) that actually provide the kids a lot of education about their community and it's resources. The 8th graders each year take a BIG trip (usually 2 nights) to Boston (aquarium, historic and cultural sites, etc), which is about 6 hours drive away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 08:49 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,898,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyhoneychurch View Post
Just out of curiosity, where do people live where field trips cost over $20? The most I think I have ever paid is about $8 (usually cost of admission or maybe a transportation fee). What kind of trips are these that cost $30 or $60? Is this public school or private?
I have one child in a charter school and two in a private school. In both schools field trips can range from $15 for a weather program hosted by the FL Marlins baseball team (including a game ticket) to around $200 for an overnight trip to St. Augustine. Here in FL the schools seem to gear their trips to the parents abilty to pay. In the wealthier areas the kids go on more expensive field trips.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:44 AM

544 posts, read 938,912 times
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, where do people live where field trips cost over $20? The most I think I have ever paid is about $8 (usually cost of admission or maybe a transportation fee). What kind of trips are these that cost $30 or $60? Is this public school or private?
Public school on Long Island, NY.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:51 AM

544 posts, read 938,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
My son is in the 4th grade, his class has usually taken one "big" field trip* per year, and then a few short trips as well. I have never had to pay anything for him to go, only provide his lunch. (Public school)

*By "big trip", I mean, they travel off our island for the entire day.. not overnight or anything. This year, we went to the planetarium at our state university (since they are studying astronomy this year). They also take shorter field trips (maybe 4 every year?) to locations around our island (nature preserves, historical society, etc) that actually provide the kids a lot of education about their community and it's resources. The 8th graders each year take a BIG trip (usually 2 nights) to Boston (aquarium, historic and cultural sites, etc), which is about 6 hours drive away.
Are the field trips something which are written included in the annual school budget? Our school taxes are rather high, so field trips are never part of the budget.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:34 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,192,312 times
I agree that the cost of the field trips can be difficult on a budget, but I actually wish my child had more of them. Her school averages one per year. I think it is a wonderful break for the kids to get out of the classroom and see some things around the city with their peers, and they usually learn in the process. Her field trips have always been to educational places such as the science museum or a play based on a book they have read. Her teachers have done an awesome job picking places to go that are beneficial and resaonable in terms of cost. I would like to see maybe 2-3 a year.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:53 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,733,919 times
Oh my goodness, that's whacky! I know as a kid I loved field trips and my own kids do. I have always gone on them with my kids as a chaperone when they were younger, and still go with my 7 year olds. It's not like they are "gallivanting" doing crazy, non-learning things. My twins are in first grade and have been on 3 field trips this year. One to see some historical buildings and learn about the early settlers of our county, the next one was to a children's museum and then the third was to the middle school to watch a play. All have been very educational, although I didn't go to the play so I don't know about that, but I'm sure it was entertaining for the children. I'm all for field trips and since most school have really cut down on them, I am happy to see when we get one scheduled.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:57 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,733,919 times
Quote:

Most of our field trips are under $10 but my older children have had higher cost trips, like to DC which was around $50 and my middle schooler has 2 field trips, one right after the other and the combined cost is $32. This is public school.

In our elementary school in Georgia, they would never leave a child behind if they couldn't pay to go, not sure if the same applies here. But I always thought that was nice.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:01 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,192,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
Most of our field trips are under $10 but my older children have had higher cost trips, like to DC which was around $50 and my middle schooler has 2 field trips, one right after the other and the combined cost is $32. This is public school.

In our elementary school in Georgia, they would never leave a child behind if they couldn't pay to go, not sure if the same applies here. But I always thought that was nice.
Ours average about $10. Our schools would never leave a child behind either. There is a fund at the school for such things. There are also parents that send in more than the actual cost to help cover those who can't afford to pay. (on a volunteer basis) All in all, the parents have been very generous.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:45 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,901,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindrop101 View Post
Ours average about $10. Our schools would never leave a child behind either. There is a fund at the school for such things. There are also parents that send in more than the actual cost to help cover those who can't afford to pay. (on a volunteer basis) All in all, the parents have been very generous.
That's very nice. I know a few teachers who would pay out of their pocket to to do the same thing - its really nice that your school acknowledges this and gives parents an opportunity to help out.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:50 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,899,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atypicalLIer View Post
Are the field trips something which are written included in the annual school budget? Our school taxes are rather high, so field trips are never part of the budget.
I would assume they are (included in the budget)- I attended the same school system as a child and never had to pay to go on a field trip (except for our Senior Trip, but that's not really such a field trip... and we, as a class, fundraised for 6 years to earn the money..I went through the system before they started taking the 8th graders to Boston, so I don't don't if they have to pay some or not..) This is a very small school system- my son's entire grade has only 17 kids, so I am sure that it costs much less to take them on a field trip than it would in a larger school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting