Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 02:44 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times

Advertisements

Get her on birth control so that she can feel that it is safe to have sex whenever she deems appropriate. Forget about the fact that last year, over a million packages of birth control pills were mispackaged so that they do not work. It probably will not happen again. Besides, talking to her about sex and trying to get her self esteem issues resolved might be embarrassing or too much work.

I love the idea one poster had of forcing birth control on her whether she wants it or not. Mash up the pills into ice cream and spoon feed them to her just like when she was little. Maybe you could get a shot and just inject her while she is sleeping.

Or you could talk with her. Educate her and then let her make the choice.

Option 2 - use my method. Threaten to kill any boy who goes near her, or looks at her until the is 18, then go with another option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 05:43 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,166,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Option 2 - use my method. Threaten to kill any boy who goes near her, or looks at her until the is 18, then go with another option.
I can't figure out if you're joking or not.

You don't trust your daughter? How about trusting her to pick decent guys to date? Not every young man out there is a raving sex maniac whose life desire is to deflower young virgins. But like I said, I can't figure out if you're serious.

(What happens when she falls for the long hair who drives a cruddy car and he's not someone Dad approves of?)

Old 10-31-2011, 09:41 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,923,463 times
Don't waste any more time getting her on the pill. You should do it, like tomorrow . . .

Old 11-01-2011, 06:45 AM

885 posts, read 1,521,573 times
Have you discussed sexual acvtivity with your daughter before this? If you haven't you should do it now and when you do, realize that you are talking to your beloved child about her safety because if she perceives that you have something 'against' the boyfriend she may use the relationship with him to rebel against you.

We don't entertain guests in our bedrooms here and never have... However, now that it's already going on with your daughter, the best you can do is ask her to entertain her guests as a young lady would - in the living room, patio, or at a nearby cafe - and then you need to give them privacy in that 'public' area.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:21 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,721,562 times
It is tough for so many parents when their kids hit their teens. Try to remember what it was like when you hit your teens. Have empathy and listen when she's talking. Let her know you remember well what it was like. Seriously, biology has so much to do with how teenagers behave. They're striving for independence, because biologically, they're ready to reproduce and be "on their own". At the same time, they can get pi$$ed off at the world, because their common sense (what little some of them have) tells them that they can NOT make it on their own. That creates a whole lot of resentment with some kids. Oh sure, they try to convince themselves that they can make it without you, some will even try.....but the fact is, they're mad at you because you hold the purse strings, which means you have the power to control them. They HATE being controlled. Unfortunately, what they don't realize is that the ones who hook up with the wrong people, don't realize that they are being controlled by someone who probably doesn't have their best interest at stake.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:06 PM

91 posts, read 168,856 times
Some of this sounds like health and heartbreaking growing pains. Remember that you are her parent first before you are her friend. Talk to her and help her to understand the repercussions of her actions. Also make sure that she knows and feels like she can come to you if she needs help. The last thing you want is for her to be more afraid of you than the consequences.

You may want to check out 101 Questions Guaranteed To Start a Conversation With Your Teenager

If you are religiously inclined I recommend prayer. As you have found raising a teenage is one job you cannot do by yourself.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuro View Post
Some of this sounds like health and heartbreaking growing pains. Remember that you are her parent first before you are her friend. Talk to her and help her to understand the repercussions of her actions. Also make sure that she knows and feels like she can come to you if she needs help. The last thing you want is for her to be more afraid of you than the consequences.

You may want to check out 101 Questions Guaranteed To Start a Conversation With Your Teenager

If you are religiously inclined I recommend prayer. As you have found raising a teenage is one job you cannot do by yourself.
I love the way you put that and I wholeheartedly agree!! Yes, the last thing you want for your children is for them to be more afraid of you than they are the consequences of their actions.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:44 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,684,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I can't figure out if you're joking or not.

You don't trust your daughter? How about trusting her to pick decent guys to date? Not every young man out there is a raving sex maniac whose life desire is to deflower young virgins. But like I said, I can't figure out if you're serious.

(What happens when she falls for the long hair who drives a cruddy car and he's not someone Dad approves of?)
Well -- why would a father approve of boyfriends using his daughter for sex? If that's the kind she's choosing at age 16, she's not choosing wisely.

I think that's where dads should come in, they need to help a daughter learn how to choose wisely and also to help her realize that a whole lot of boys and men are just raving sex maniacs who want to use her for sex and will be out the door fast if something were to happen -- like pregnancy.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:56 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,970,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well -- why would a father approve of boyfriends using his daughter for sex? If that's the kind she's choosing at age 16, she's not choosing wisely.

I think that's where dads should come in, they need to help a daughter learn how to choose wisely and also to help her realize that a whole lot of boys and men are just raving sex maniacs who want to use her for sex and will be out the door fast if something were to happen -- like pregnancy.
I grew up with out a dad in my life since I was two, I also never had any male figures with any parental authority in my teenage years. There was my mom's now ex from the time I was 12/13 to 16/17 but he was hands off, I was left up to my mom.

I have very good taste in men, I am extremely picky and I have never once been pregnant.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

My husband might not have been the big authoritarian in our home, but M., that man was right there, telling my daughter what to look out for, WHO to look out for, and how important it was for her to believe in herself and that she was never to fall for a line like, "If you love me/care for me, you will....!" He let her know that someone who is only looking for a POA is the one who's going to use that line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting