Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you like Disney books, movies, TV for kids?
Yes, I like Disney products for my kids 1 8.33%
Disney is about average for kids stuff 2 16.67%
I don't like Disney products much 7 58.33%
I am opposed to Disney for political reasons. 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 03:24 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,052,665 times

Advertisements

Disney has been criticized a lot in recent years for their marketing practices and unimaginative products. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 03:32 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,928,695 times
Disney stuff is just stuff. Not great, not terrible just stuff. If my kids like the Disney stuff I will buy it, if they don't I won't. I can't see getting all worked up over one company.

Old 05-23-2009, 03:53 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,710,246 times
There is so much Disney junk/trinkets that I think it takes away from the magic a bit. I remember when just about the only thing "Disney" was mouse ears! Now how cool were those mouse ears!!!

Old 05-23-2009, 04:25 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,905,611 times
I like the old-school Disney stuff (Probably way back when they used to bring out an animated Classic story every few years!), but since they are producing movies faster than I can keep up and emblazoning those characters on everything from blankets to bobbleheads, toothbrushes and toilet paper, the characters and merchandise no longer seem "classic" in any sense, and that doesn't appeal to me.

And might I take this opportunity to say that I think any Disney clothing should be limited to KIDS sizes. It annoys me when I see adult women wearing clothing that has Winnie The Pooh or other character on. I get the part about being a kid at heart, but it looks so darn awful. (And the adult overalls! Pass the eye bleach, please!)

Old 05-23-2009, 04:59 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,920,822 times
I don't like it because it seems to only about marketing. Which, I suppose, is a good thing for a company, but not for my children. But I don't buy cross-marketed items for the most part. I also have young children (6 and 2), so I don't allow to watch many Disney movies, since a lot of the ones in the last 10-15 years seem too violent (or other issues) for them. My six year old has begun to watch more of them, though.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:51 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,620,594 times
I love some, like some, don't care about some and dislike some. It's just a connection to me.

If you are going to bash Disney though, then you have to bash all the movie studios.....and all the sports franchises....and most of the food franchises.....lots of designers...and on and on and on....haha

They ALL do mass marketing of some kind.

I mean look at everything Star Wars....Spiderman.....Cowboys....Nascar.....it's everywhere!

Old 05-23-2009, 07:01 PM

436 posts, read 1,524,239 times
I think Walt is probably rolling over in his grave with the crap Disney puts out now. It is far from quality and a little risque at times.

I love the old cartoons. The new movies and shows is not what I would think of when I think of Disney.

I get that it is all about money, but it would be nice if a company, especially a family company, would stick to making quality not quantity.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:08 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,594,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Disney has been criticized a lot in recent years for their marketing practices and unimaginative products. What do you think?

First, let's face it. Disney is for girls.
It's not for boys. Boys are not Disney's target audience.
It's about little girls who want to be princesses.
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that.

Disney at least seems to be trying for more diversity over the past couple of decades.

But when they make backpacks, nightgowns or notebooks featuring the faces of Disney princesses, which ones are featured? Usually Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, and Ariel (and very occasionally, Belle).

Where are Mulan, Pocahontas, and Jasmine?

Well, uh... apparently, they are not the favorites of Disney's target audience.

It's kind of sad, but what can you do? Disney tries to be politically correct. They try make bold, spunky, outspoken heroines of color. It's not the corporation's fault if these heroines fail to ignite the imaginations of Disney's target demographic (which would be, I suppose, girls aged 3 to about 8, and their parents).
This demographic prefers traditional, whitebread princesses who fall in love and get married in their mid-teens.

I have noticed a recent trend by Disney, to make the Disney version of Snow White appear hispanic. She's become much more olive-skinned lately, with fuller lips and dark brown eyes.

But... I don't know.
Disney tries to be P.C.
Let's give credit where credit is due.
Parents simply aren't willing to shell out the same amount of money for Mulan or Pocahontas merchandise that they are for Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty merchandise, and that's because their daughters aren't as interested in these darker-skinned heroines. Maybe because they're darker-skinned, maybe because they simply aren't "traditional" princesses, and therefore not as interesting to small children.

That's my two cents on it, anyway.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:14 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,905,611 times
This is interesting- a list of Disney movies. What a difference in momentum from the beginning!
Walt Disney Movies : Disney Movies List : List of Disney Movies

Old 05-23-2009, 08:16 PM

458 posts, read 1,356,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Disney stuff is just stuff. Not great, not terrible just stuff. If my kids like the Disney stuff I will buy it, if they don't I won't. I can't see getting all worked up over one company.
agreed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting