Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 10:56 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
Can you write well? If so, you can make $15-30 per hour writing articles online. Some great places to start is Freelance Jobs | Demand Studios, QualityGal, eHow | How To Do Just About Everything!, Suite101.com: Online Magazine and Writers' Network | Suite101.com, or Associated Content - associatedcontent.com. I work about 8 hour per week and easily bring home $150 per week.
Now why haven't you shared this before! This is exactly what I need! I am suppose to be gardening, but I look forward to going through your links. My degree is in writing, but I haven't been able to do much with little kids. Maybe I will find something that fits me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 11:02 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,984,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
Now why haven't you shared this before! This is exactly what I need! I am suppose to be gardening, but I look forward to going through your links. My degree is in writing, but I haven't been able to do much with little kids. Maybe I will find something that fits me!
Good luck! One suggestion I have that I should have mentioned is that if you are interested in Demand Studios, which pays the best of the things I've listed, is to start with an ehow and/or associated content account, then apply to DS after you have several articles published. Demand Studios tends to be a little bit picky, and I think that having other published work helps.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:08 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,861,546 times
I don't know if medical offices are still looking for medical transcriptionists. I've known a few gals who have done this type of work and it paid fairly decently. The biggest thing is being able to type really well and fairly fast. You do it in the comfort of your home and at the times of day that work best for you. There are deadlines that the work needs to be done by, but nothing so demanding that it would keep you from being able to take care of and spend time with your family.

For some extra income for me, I am sewing doll clothes that fit dolls like the American Girl Doll and making baby quilts.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:35 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,385,141 times
Default Try opening an in-home childcare center

You can limit it to two to three kids and still make between $300 and $600 per week. You just need to check with your state laws first to see what the regulations are concerning the # of kids you can care for, your home environment, etc.

I doubt you'll find a part time job making $12 and up plus benefits in this economy. Although I agree with the other posters that you can make that much with tips if you bartend or wait tables at a nice restaurant or banquet hall.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:31 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,554,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh021 View Post
Hello!

I am in my mid 20s with a 1.5 yr old. I quit my job to stay home with him full time even though we do not have a lot of money and each month we struggle (but always succeed) to pay our bills. I love being with my son all day, but I wouldn't mind picking up a part time job for some supplemental income bc I am stressed about money a lot. The prob. is finding a job that pays enough $ to cover the babysitter for my son, AND make it worth it financially to be away!

I previously worked pt as a nanny and brought my son along with me which worked out great, but this has been hard for me to find as most families want a nanny who will give 100% attention to their own kid!

I am so
At the moment I do not remember the websites but there are many out there that help SAHMs. I have read in some of them. There are many success stories by couples that decide one of them to stay at home. It is not as difficult as many think it is. When I enlisted in the military my wife decided to stay at home. We initially had lose of income but we made adjustements and we made it just great. It did pay off as far as we are concerned. My wife tells me she would not have it any other way and to this day we still rely on one income.

It is a matter of learning to live within our means and to capitalize on everey penny we have. It is not that bad. Many couples that have claimed they cannot make it with one income later realized how much they wasted their money on needless things.

You can have a part time job but you can also simply look at your husband's income and start looking around at things you really do not need. You may also realize how much you spent on frivolous things.

envious of Moms who can stay home with their kids with out financial worry! In my ideal world I want 3 or 4 happy kids of my own, and I want to be a busy, happy Mom at home with all of them. Hopefully my husband will continue to succeed at his job so that this is possible... and if not I will have to go back to work FT and find cheap childcare. Oh geez. This is not what I want.

My question is, what are some part time jobs that pay at least $12-15/hour+ (or even have benefits??? DH is self employed so we pay for our own, it is very $). I realize the economy is in the toilet, I live in NC where things aren't too bad but not great. I do have my BA. I wouldn't mind working a few evenings for decent pay.
At the moment I do not remember the websites but there are many out there that help SAHMs. I have read in some of them. There are many success stories by couples that decide one of them to stay at home. It is not as difficult as many think it is. When I enlisted in the military my wife decided to stay at home. We initially had lose of income but we made adjustements and we made it just great. It did pay off as far as we are concerned. My wife tells me she would not have it any other way and to this day we still rely on one income.

It is a matter of learning to live within our means and to capitalize on every penny we have. It is not that bad. Many couples that have claimed they cannot make it with one income later realized how much they wasted their money on needless things.

You can have a part time job but you can also simply look at your husband's income and start looking around at things you really do not need. You may also realize how much you spent on frivolous things.

I believe Doctor Laura does have a section on this issue. Her website is www.drlaura.com. I know she is controversial on some issues but on this point I think she has a lot of good information. She is a strong advocate of a parents raising their kids. Many people twist her words by saying she says moms must stay at home and rear children. That is not the case. She does not care whether mom or dad stay at home. She advocates either parent does it. She also does not say both parents can't work, they can. She just gives many ideas on how for both parents working and still be able to rear their chidlren without the need to drop them off with a stranger or a nanny raising them. She and her husband actually work but have fixed their scheduled to make sure their son met a parent right after school, had dinner done by a parent, had dinner together, etc.

I just looked at her website and edited this message. She has new book entitled "In Praise of Stay at Home Moms".

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 05-26-2009, 12:41 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,812 times
Also look at any expenses you can drop. I'm sure you have already done this, but our family of four lives off of my husband's income and he only makes $15/hour. I say it not to dimish your need, but to give you encouragement that it can be done.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:20 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,905,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
Or how about opening up your home as a daycare? You can do it small time, and bring in some good money.

The requirements are usually a 90 hour certificate, and if I am not mistaken you do not have to get a license if you have under a certain amount of children. It will let you stay home with your own kid, while you make a few dollars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
Have you considered taking care of another child in your home? I don't know how it works in other states, but in mine (Maine), you don't have to have a day care provider license unless you are taking care of 4 (or more) kids. After looking at what was available here for jobs and comparing it against what I would have to pay for child care (and my child care would be way expensive because mine has autism!), I have decided to take care of another child this summer. That way, I can still be with my own, he can have a playmate, and I still earn a little extra money. No benefits, of course, but overall, it's the best thing for me right now. Just a thought....
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
You can limit it to two to three kids and still make between $300 and $600 per week. You just need to check with your state laws first to see what the regulations are concerning the # of kids you can care for, your home environment, etc.

I doubt you'll find a part time job making $12 and up plus benefits in this economy. Although I agree with the other posters that you can make that much with tips if you bartend or wait tables at a nice restaurant or banquet hall.
I was going to suggest working in a daycare center that offers free or reduced rates to employees, but home care is also an option.

I also suggest sticking with a small number of kids b/c if you run a family childcare out of your home, your homeowners insurance may go up or they may even want to cancel you, because of the liability. You would want to be more of a babysitter, in the technical sense, than a home business owner.

1800Flowers uses employees that work from home taking calls/orders/customer service. You have to have a quiet room and no interruptions for your shift, so you'd need to do it when either a sitter or your husband is home.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:54 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh021 View Post
Hello!

I am in my mid 20s with a 1.5 yr old. I quit my job to stay home with him full time even though we do not have a lot of money and each month we struggle (but always succeed) to pay our bills. I love being with my son all day, but I wouldn't mind picking up a part time job for some supplemental income bc I am stressed about money a lot. The prob. is finding a job that pays enough $ to cover the babysitter for my son, AND make it worth it financially to be away!

I previously worked pt as a nanny and brought my son along with me which worked out great, but this has been hard for me to find as most families want a nanny who will give 100% attention to their own kid!

I am so envious of Moms who can stay home with their kids with out financial worry! In my ideal world I want 3 or 4 happy kids of my own, and I want to be a busy, happy Mom at home with all of them. Hopefully my husband will continue to succeed at his job so that this is possible... and if not I will have to go back to work FT and find cheap childcare. Oh geez. This is not what I want.

My question is, what are some part time jobs that pay at least $12-15/hour+ (or even have benefits??? DH is self employed so we pay for our own, it is very $). I realize the economy is in the toilet, I live in NC where things aren't too bad but not great. I do have my BA. I wouldn't mind working a few evenings for decent pay.
I work in my church nursery for $10.50/hour. I can bring the kids, so I don't have to pay for child care. Depending on the month I've made between $15.00-$150.00/month. This is my only job, but several of the other nursery attendants do it at several different churches that have week night functions, Wed. and Sat. services, etc.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:52 PM

433 posts, read 1,770,031 times
I know that the customer service people you call to order flowers from teleflora, 1800flowers etc. work from home. When you are calling them they are sitting in their house taking your order. I have seen articles about it through AOL. I'm sure you can search for it. One thing I remember about it is you must have a non cordless land phone and I think a separate phone line.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:22 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,454,385 times
Call Centers: Job Option at Home - WSJ.com

http://www.alpineaccess.com/en/

Convergys Home Agent Program

Last edited by nuala; 05-26-2009 at 08:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting