Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 02:13 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
Yes. I'd pay for the public school my kids currently attend. Thankfully, I don't have to. Conversely, there are some private schools you could not pay me to send my kids to.
Well, your taxes do pay for the school The government never gives anything for free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 02:17 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,904,348 times
yeah, you're right, but $1500/yr in property taxes is a great price to pay versus $15000/yr tuition plus paying the property taxes anyway.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:57 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
I love these kinds of statements. So someone should use that money to feed starving people b/c you've decided their money would be better spent that way? Should we look at the bank accounts of people who have kids in public and see if they are spending too much on extra curriculars for their kids, or on clothes for their kids, or just hand you their whole bank account so you can decide where their money is best spent?

A little hypoersensative here?

All I said is what I would do. No one can tell the OP what they should do, only what you would personally do if you were in their shoes. That was quite a rant based on assumptions and filure to read what was written rather than what you wanted and expected to find. Try to one it down, be more rational, and pay attention to what people actually say instead of what you expect them to say and you will find that more people will take you seriously.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:08 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
It depends. How good are your public schools?
How good are the private schools in your area?

Are your kids good students?

Are you an involved parent?

Are your kids easily influenced?

If the public schools are decent and suitable for your kids, I would keep them in public school and donate the money to a charity that feeds starving people or houses the homeless.
Great answer.

Like real estate the school question depends upon location location location.

We were lucky to have good-to-great public schools from K- Grade 12. My daughter did chose a private university upon HS graduation .

One reason I think that private-school kids seem to thrive compared to their public-school contemporaries is parental involvement. Private school parents ~may~ tend to be more involved because they are writing those checks every year. If you can find a local public school where the parents are passionate and actively involved.....paydirt!

p.s. I found this an inspiring story about a "not-so-great" public school in a district not known for excellence:
http://www.indystar.com/article/2009...ted+to+college

Last edited by plaidmom; 05-29-2009 at 04:26 PM..

Old 05-29-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
yeah, you're right, but $1500/yr in property taxes is a great price to pay versus $15000/yr tuition plus paying the property taxes anyway.
They better leave 1st grade with a law degree if someone is paying $15k a year

Hence, why the term "private" v public can run into some confusion.

Our parochial school is $1,650/yr. THAT'S doable.

$15,000...ah, not so much!

But we do have a school such as that about 30 mins from us. I don't get it but every parent is different.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:51 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
A little hypoersensative here?

All I said is what I would do. No one can tell the OP what they should do, only what you would personally do if you were in their shoes. That was quite a rant based on assumptions and filure to read what was written rather than what you wanted and expected to find. Try to one it down, be more rational, and pay attention to what people actually say instead of what you expect them to say and you will find that more people will take you seriously.
Very condescending post here. Thank you for the advice on what to do so that "more people" will take me seriously. I will take it under consideration.

Last edited by frogandtoad; 05-29-2009 at 08:03 PM..

Old 05-29-2009, 07:59 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsh1127 View Post
Actually what I am speaking of are MANY instances where the parents have felt that their kids were not getting an up to par education at the private school. Then when they were moved to public schools (here) they struggled to keep up, and some even ended up moving down a grade. Maybe our private schools in this area are sub-standard......

I am not trying to bash private schools, I just don't put huge belief in it. Not that I put huge belief in the public school system either - I guess it still falls back on the family. Don't expect a school to make something of your child - that is our job as parents (and hopefully the school reinforces it).

Having my kids in public school is my own choice, and I don't feel that I am doing them a disservice in any way. People that send their kids to private school have their reasons, too. As long as it works for your family, that's all that matters!
I agree with you. Some privates are good, some aren't. I think some people think that just b/c you're paying for school automatically makes it better, and certainly that's not true. On the other hand, there are privates which are great which do things differently (and may result in a child being behind in subjects early on), but they have a plan and if you stick with it, the kids will end up being ahead of peers. Or it could just be a bad school, or not in line w/your philosophy or whatever.

In the end though, of course, it's what is a good fit for the parents/kids. And plenty of well-adjusted, happy, successful people come out of the public school system and I'm not trying to suggest otherwise!

Old 05-29-2009, 08:25 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,904,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
They better leave 1st grade with a law degree if someone is paying $15k a year

Hence, why the term "private" v public can run into some confusion.

Our parochial school is $1,650/yr. THAT'S doable.

$15,000...ah, not so much!

But we do have a school such as that about 30 mins from us. I don't get it but every parent is different.
Parochial schools around here are $4500/yr plus registration, etc...times 3 kids. That is where I get the numbers from. $250 per year discount if you are Catholic (which we are but gosh that's not much of a discount!). Archdiocese of Santa Fe does not appear to kick much money into Catholic schooling.

But, the 'prep' schools ARE about $13K per yr (6-12) and the Catholic HS is $12K per year. Holy Moley.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:32 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,932 times
Some really interesting comments - Thanks.

I should have added Catholic & also Home schooling as optons. I know a number of families who have their kids at the local catholic school and it seems really good and fees are about 1/10th of the private school fees.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Parochial schools around here are $4500/yr plus registration, etc...times 3 kids. That is where I get the numbers from. $250 per year discount if you are Catholic (which we are but gosh that's not much of a discount!). Archdiocese of Santa Fe does not appear to kick much money into Catholic schooling.

But, the 'prep' schools ARE about $13K per yr (6-12) and the Catholic HS is $12K per year. Holy Moley.
We are quite lucky at "this" time...very large parish (5,000+) w/ very large offerings & many scholarships. The elem school is also very large (950), so overhead costs are basically covered & everyone knows a parochial school teacher is making didly squat.

That is not to say that other schools in the diocese are not over $3,000 but we don't have any in the $4,000range yet.

High schools ARE b/w $6-$12 dependant on the school. We have 5 in the area.

Lots of competition which keeps costs competitive to an extent & quality pretty darn high.

I would think that Santa Fe would have a large Catholic population but much time the issue lies in the offerings of the parishioners & the priority level of the Bishop.

I hope costs stay low in our area. The Lutheran school in our city is $3,800 starting at 1st grade & it is another large school.

Would life end if our children had to attend public? Absolutely not. It's just very, very important to me that they are in a Christian based atmosphere & taught religion on a regular basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting