Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 12:50 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,068,673 times

Advertisements

Theo (Theodore, cool)
Allistair (A little sissyish, but ok)
Jordan (Not one I like at all)

Chelsea( not sure which spelling to take, Chelsey etc?) (No)
Kate (NO)
Katie (NO)
Chanel (I like it)
Pilar (I like this one as well)
Fallon (I like this one a lot)
Phoenix (I like this one the best)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 01:21 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,154,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirlwow View Post
Well, the baby will grow up. So I want a name that enables a child to move from boardroom to bedroom without any hiccups. Some names are only suitable for "small babies" but tend to be ridiculous for a grown man/woman.
And you think "Chanel" or "Phoenix" is an easy leap to the boardroom?

I agree with another poster about Chantel (though it would be Chantal if you were using the French word...it means "singer"). That is a nice, sexy (again, not sure why you want "sexy") name. There's also a little girl named Grace in my daughter's class. She has gorgeous blonde hair and I think her parents were thinking of Grace Kelly. One of my daughters is named Audrey...she's got dark, dark hair and huge brown eyes. The name Audrey, named after Audrey Hepburn, seemed like a natural choice.

Another thing to think about is a longer name that can be used when they are grown up and shortened for when they are younger. Elizabeth can be Lizzie for a little girl. Anne can be called Annie when they're younger. Christina can be called Tina. Jane can be Janie, the list goes on...

A good rule of thumb is to avoid names with an "i", "ee", "ey" at the end. Those names seem to be trendy but will seem ridiculous when they are trying to work in corporate America. Imagine, "Mr Gates, Kylee/Carley/Miley/Wendee Smith is here for her interview".

Old 05-29-2009, 01:27 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,154,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post
Katie - I think this name is so cute, this is my vote.
A good friend of mine is named Kathryn but everyone calls her Kate. She grew up being called Katie which has stuck with her sister and those of us who have known her a while.

Another thing to consider is that so many parents are trying to find unique names that common names are now becoming the "unique" ones. There are 3 Kaitlyns, 2 Faiths and 2 Morgans (one is a boy and one is a girl) in my daughter's class! No one is named Rachel, Melissa, Jennifer, Kathryn anymore.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:05 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,170,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
No one is named Rachel, Melissa, Jennifer, Kathryn anymore.
good

Old 05-29-2009, 02:08 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,907,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
No one is named Rachel, Melissa, Jennifer, Kathryn anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
good
Jenny (not Jennifer) is a family name in my family. No one has been named Jenny since the late 1800s, though. I am "done" having kids but if I do end up having another, and its a girl, I have considered Jenny. She would have good company with all of the women currently in their mid to late 30s, but the name would probably be fairly unique in her own age group.

I just won't tell you if I do it DreamWeavin! JK

Old 05-29-2009, 02:13 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,275,819 times
A variation of Kate or Katie that I like is Katelyn, or Caitlyn.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:50 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
Jenny (not Jennifer) is a family name in my family. No one has been named Jenny since the late 1800s, though. I am "done" having kids but if I do end up having another, and its a girl, I have considered Jenny. She would have good company with all of the women currently in their mid to late 30s, but the name would probably be fairly unique in her own age group.
Jenny is a perfect example of why it's important to pick an adult name. Jenny is just too childish for an adult.
It's better to name a child Jennifer and use Jenny for a nickname. Then she'll have options other than "Jen" when she's an adult.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:58 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,907,489 times
Guess I won't be telling Hopes if I name a girl Jenny either!

Old 05-29-2009, 03:14 PM

18,420 posts, read 19,036,217 times
Phoenix: I like this for either boy or girl, also a good middle name
Theo: sounds old fashioned to me
Allistair: sounds way too stuffy and I think a name that could be made fun of
Jordan: I like for either sex

Girl
Chelsea( not sure which spelling to take, Chelsey etc?) when I see it spelled with ea on the end I think chels-ah
Kate is a great classic name
Katie the nick name of kate
Chanel sounds to me like someone trying to think of a cool name and came up with a variation of a name brand
Pilar is a good name but I think kids would think it was strange
Fallon sounds like dynasty the tv series

pick a normal name or one that means something to you and your family. try not to make it so out there that the kid has to explain what his name means. always shorten the name cuz all names get a nick name attached to it. try it on for size try saying it out loud see how easy it is to use

Old 05-29-2009, 03:17 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,649,008 times
I like Jordan for a boy, or Fallon for a girl!

The3D's spoke of kids with the same names in daughters class - - - My daughter has 4 Emily's and 3 Nate's!

Funny thing is one of the Emily's moved away, and less than a week later a new girl came to her class. Guess what her name was................... You guessed it - Emily!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting