Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 06:09 PM

25,899 posts, read 42,856,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
A good friend of mine is named Kathryn but everyone calls her Kate. She grew up being called Katie which has stuck with her sister and those of us who have known her a while.
Catherine is my all-time favorite girl name, and Kate or Katie for short. Neither of my daughters is named that, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 06:13 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,430,900 times
I think it depends on your last name. A name might be pretty on it's own but then paired with a last name it could sound awful.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:17 PM

50,556 posts, read 64,570,625 times
Sorry, I don't like any, but I especially dislike Theo. To me, it conjers up an old man with suspenders.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:19 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,418,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Mercedes is Spanish name that has been around long before the car.
My city has an insignificant spanish speaking population---like 1% in our entire greater metro area.

The people naming their children Mercedes here are naming after the car.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:23 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,600,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
My city has an insignificant spanish speaking population---like 1% in our entire greater metro area.

The people naming their children Mercedes here are naming after the car.

One doesn't have to be spanish-speaking or even hispanic to name one's child "Mercedes"; it's a fairly common (although slightly old-fashioned) female name.
The name itself is probably more common among anglos than hispanics.
The car is named after the name.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:09 PM

363 posts, read 1,150,063 times
Quote:
So I want a name that enables a child to move from boardroom to bedroom without any hiccups.
Call me old fashioned but I am a bit taken back with this statement.

Quote:
Phoenix ( We do NOT live in Phoenx Arizona),its a greek mythology name-bird that sets itself on fire & rises from the ashes
Theo
Allistair
Jordan

Girl
Chelsea( not sure which spelling to take, Chelsey etc?)
Kate
Katie
Chanel
Pilar
Fallon
Phoenix
But if you are concerned about boardroom names than maybe Allistair, Jordan or Kate. I don't know many CEOs that are named Chanel, Fallon or Phoenix. The business world tends to be conservative. Check out Forbes Magazine if you want boardroom names. You will have to get the sexy names from others....I went the classic route with my kids names. I was not concerned with the "sexiness" of their names.

Last edited by Maybe So; 05-29-2009 at 08:21 PM..

Old 05-29-2009, 08:17 PM

458 posts, read 1,360,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Just curious. Why would you be looking for a "sexy" name?
I was wondering the same thing. Cause if you were going sexy I would start another list, but in all seriousness, what does sexy have to do with it?

Old 05-29-2009, 09:17 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,149,965 times
Here are my personal takes on the names you chose; in the end it's what you like along with taking into consideration that your future child will carry this name for the rest of his/her life (unless he/she decides to change it):

Phoenix - River Phoenix immediately comes to mind although I've known about the Phoenix rising from its ashes prior to ever hearing about RP. I think it's become quite popular, too. I actually know 4 children (all boys) named Phoenix and 2 of them are classmates!

Theo - I like this one, too. I haven't heard that one as much.

Allistair - Our 1/2 British neighbor named his son Allistair - Allistair (or Alli as close friends/family call him) LOVES his name - it's unique and frankly, all his teenage gal pals love his name, too.

Jordan - I'm not fond of Jordan as it's become one of those unisex names that I personally don't like.

Chelsea - My closest friend name her first dog Chelsea so that ALWAYS comes to mind no matter what. She was a very yippy dog. LOL

Kate -
Katie -...I have an unfortunate history of either being the woman that followed a "Kate" or was prior to a "Katie" in 3 relationships so it's on my list of I do love the name Katherine though (although spelled with a "C").

Chanel - I think it's a bit contrived. Chanel is synonymous IMHO with the brand. I agree with someone that it would be like naming your child after Bentley or Vuitton.

Pilar - I really like Pilar - people really think it's pronounced like "pillar"? I know that's what it means in Spanish but that just doesn't come to mind. To me, it's just a beautiful Spanish name.

Fallon - Fallon from Dynasty comes to mind (Pamela Sue Martin).

Phoenix - Not crazy about the name overall & definitely not for a girl.

As for the other suggestions, I like Chantelle as well but I know that's become popular as well. I think Sophie/Sofia are beautiful but it seems to have become the "Sue" and "Patty" of the last several years.

Mercedes is a fairly popular Spanish name that has nothing to do with the car. It's a reference to Our Lady of Mercy. I've known many people with that name or Merceditas (diminutive). I really like the name Tristan (that's my brother's & SIL's 1st pick for their future son) as long as you can get past the meaning (sad - triste).

Picking names was one of the hardest things for us. We found out their sexes before hand but because we didn't know right away if we were having 2 boys or 2 girls or boy/girl, we had 2 sets of names for each sex and then a boy/girl set (which was basically our favorites from the first 2 sets).

Overall, I really like your picks of Theo (Theodore?), Allistair and Pilar. They are beautiful, less common names and would transition well from childhood to adulthood.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:23 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,430,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirlwow View Post
Allistair

Pilar
When I saw these names my first thought was the mother must have been a fan of that soap Passions

Old 05-29-2009, 09:47 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,418,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
One doesn't have to be spanish-speaking or even hispanic to name one's child "Mercedes"; it's a fairly common (although slightly old-fashioned) female name.
The name itself is probably more common among anglos than hispanics.
The car is named after the name.
When impoverished, uneducated parents are naming their children Mercedes in an area of the country that does not have spanish speaking residents, they are naming the children after the car. People are even naming their children Lexus these days. I'm surprised you aren't aware of the tacky trend to name children after expensive things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting