Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2009, 07:56 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,235,250 times

Advertisements

Went to see a movie called 'year one' with my 12 year old. Now I was a bit slack and did not check ratings or synopsys. Turns out it is rated M so really she was too young. My mistake.

What a terrible movie.

The movie starts of in a hunter gatherer society.

The first few minutes of the movie has an older man telling a teen that to get the attention of the girl he has a crush on is to dance in front of her and if that fails to knock her on the head and have sex with her.

Now what message is that giving to the young men today on how to treat women.

Later the movie basically derides any kind of religeous faith and promotes free and casual sex both heto sexual and homosexual.

It also promotes that guys should get in a position of power. In the movie I assume this was the Romans. Then abuse that power and take whatever you want in a graft and corruption and standover kind of way.

This is a movie to be avoided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 05:00 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,437,897 times
This is the exact reason i ALWAYS read up reviews and ratings on all movies that go in front of my children's eyes and if I'm STILL not sure about them then i preview them myself before allowing it. It is the responsible thing to do.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:07 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,933,928 times
On the other hand, if kids are getting messages from movies instead of their parents, someone is doing it wrong.

Everything is an opportunity. Instead of "oh crap, I took my kid to this movie and they GOT THE WRONG MESSAGE!!!" You could say, "See, this is how it used to be, many centuries ago. But today people have worked hard to bring respect to women, to treat them as equals. This movie is a reminder of what we as humans used to be and why we should cherish and protect the ideals and ethics we have developed."

Or if that is too much for them to understand, "You see how that man treated her? That was bad. You don't treat other people that way, and you don't let them treat you that way. People are worth more than that."

Old 07-08-2009, 07:35 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,687,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
Went to see a movie called 'year one' with my 12 year old. Now I was a bit slack and did not check ratings or synopsys. Turns out it is rated M so really she was too young. My mistake.

What a terrible movie.

The movie starts of in a hunter gatherer society.

The first few minutes of the movie has an older man telling a teen that to get the attention of the girl he has a crush on is to dance in front of her and if that fails to knock her on the head and have sex with her.

Later the movie basically derides any kind of religeous faith and promotes free and casual sex both heto sexual and homosexual.

It also promotes that guys should get in a position of power. In the movie I assume this was the Romans. Then abuse that power and take whatever you want in a graft and corruption and standover kind of way.

Wait a minute...YOU failed to make sure it was a movie that you as a parent would find acceptable for your child, and then lay blame on the movie for being unacceptable?

First off, if you'd seen ANY of the previews for this movie on television, online, or in another movie, you would have instantly seen that it didn't fit your criteria, because much of what you list as complaints was clearly shown in the previews.

Also, the "messages" you complain about are called "humor". There are all kinds of humor, and not everyone finds all of them funny. Just because you didn't find the movie entertaining or funny, doesn't make it bad.

Any failure here was your fault as the parent. Do better homework next time.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:04 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,271,195 times
Quote:
...lol...ah to be a cave man.

Quote:
...that possibly cave men were primative people who acted on instinct as opposed to modern people who first think before they do...hopefully

Quote:
Later the movie basically derides any kind of religeous faith
...As if this would be the first movie to poke fun at various religions?

Quote:
...and promotes free and casual sex both heto sexual and homosexual.
...as if this would be the first movie to promote casual sex?

Quote:
...and this would be an excellent analogy for how our government works.

Quote:
...hopefully the people that see this are both OLD ENOUGH and understand that it is a COMEDY

Old 07-08-2009, 10:25 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,907,489 times
I have to agree with the people who said that it is not for kids and you need to be old enough to get the comedy in it.

PG-13 is a tricky rating - I let my 6 yo see Revenge of the Sith even though it was PG13 b/c I knew why it was rated that way. You have to watch out when stuff is rated PG-13 for crude humor and sexual situations. Not a lot is R rated these days b/c they try to keep it just up to but under the line that crosses into R territory - so it is still rather "adult" sometimes.

editing to add - I see some of the movies I watched as a pre-teen (Grease and History of the World Part 1 come to mind) and I would not let my kids see them at that age. I also saw Fast Times at Ridgemont High at age 14 and that's another one I think I'd want to wait til they are older.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:44 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,516,920 times
Quote:

What a terrible movie.
Why did you stay?

I remember being horrified as a young teenager & my parents leaving "Romancing the Stone" & grabbing me by the wrist...

Now, as a parent, and seeing some of things that are shown and expected to be ok yet are clearly not...I would have no problems walking out of the movie if there with my young child.

Same as the tv...if it is so concerning, turn it off! I'm not one to sit around and explain half the stuff that is on tv these days to my children b/c I personally find that there is no value nor any need to justify what the media feels is ok for our children to see. Our children can & will survive and thrive without tv or movies. That being said, there are some decent tv shows & movies...just takes some researching.

These mistakes happen even to the best parents who state they make no mistakes , so, just remember the lesson.

And PG-13 ratings are a ploy...PG-13 are simply just under the radar to being rated R. It's called profit!

PG means "Parental guidance" for a reason. Some parents are more lax than others; some don't even care. But I know you live in Australia, so your ratings may be different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting