Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 08:01 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,114,938 times

Advertisements

Our girls are 8. They do not want to be separated for anything. They will even turn down party invitations unless the sister can go. No they are not twins. Both adopted, only 4 months apart in age and not biological siblings but obviously very close.

One sister has alot of sound sensitivity and cannot deal with suspense. She just can't take it. We had to take her to the lobby for most of Toy Story 3.

When we get netflex movies she self monitors very well and will leave if she gets scared but most of the time she will not even join the family for a movie. Of course that is fine. But I hate to deprive the other sister or myself of some great kiddie movies.

We love Wallace and Grommit and thought she would be just fine but wouldn't you know it the one we got was a teeny bit scarey and she hid most of the time.

We finally found "It's Shaun the Sheep" for us all and they are great. Same artists and studio as Wallace.

So will she outgrow this movie fear? I myself will not go see scarey movies and don't understand the joy in scareing the pants off yourself with Roller Coasters, murder mysteries or movies and Horror Houses. I have not talked about this to my kids so she comes by this honestly.

Any other parents dealing with this issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 08:38 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,968,218 times
My middle son had difficulty handling high noise levels when he was younger. He has outgrown it. Many kids dislike scary movies, even some of the attractions at Disney terrify them.

I don't see why this would be a problem though. If she doesn't like the movies, let her stay home. Her sister is still free to attend or not. I think it's wonderful that your girls are so close.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:46 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,928,734 times
My 4yo is also often scared of movies. She's never been to see one in theaters yet. At home she will run into the other room at the slightest indication of a change in music that indicates anything other than fluffy bunnies. She's just very sensitive about things like that. My mom took her to Disney on Ice and she even covered her eyes for part of that! Once she's seen a movie several times, she can deal with it though. She likes Bambi now, and doesn't cover her eyes at that one at all anymore.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:50 AM

13,429 posts, read 9,962,678 times
I'm afraid I don't have anything constructive to say but I wanted to add that Shaun The Sheep is the best ever.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:01 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
it might be a sensory processing issue that goes beyond not being able to go to the movies. Check out the book "The out of sync child" and talk to your doctor about it if the aversion to sound or sight seems to affect every day life for her. If going to the movies is the only problem, then don't go to the theater. watch movies at home where she is free to leave.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:19 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,758,218 times
My youngest is 10 and prefers not to attend movies. On the rare occasion that she goes, we take her earmuffs (noise reduction type). She does much better with those on. My son is 14, and he too prefers not to go to movies. He doesn't like the closed in feeling, coupled with the loudness... it's outside his comfort level. He loves watching at home though. I would say that "yes" she will outgrow it to the point that she will be able to sit through a whole movie at home (and eventually in the theatre), but I doubt movies will ever be her first choice of entertainment.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:54 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
She likes Bambi now, and doesn't cover her eyes at that one at all anymore.
Well, that's good and it says a lot about your daughter. I was sound/light sensitive as a kid. Still am. But it was the emotional content in movies that did me in. I can't handle Bambi. And do not get me started on "Old Yeller". Disney used to sponsor kiddie matinees in our town for 25 cents. I still get all blubbery just thinking about them. Won't watch them now.

Oh, and back to the original question. It's hard to say if she will outgrow it. But I'd never force her to sit through something that makes her so uncomfortable.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 12-31-2010 at 11:50 AM..

Old 12-31-2010, 11:09 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,685,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Well, that's good and it says a lot about your daughter. I was sound/light sensitive as a kid. Still am. But it was the emotional content in movies that did me in. I can't handle Bambi. And do not get me started on "Old Yeller". Disney used to sponsor kiddie matinees in our town for 25 cents. I still get all blubbery just thinking about them. Won't watch them now.
I still get hysterical during Bambi. As for Old Yeller? I am 39 and have never seen it and never will. That one along with The Fox and the Hound, which I have seen and was a blubbering mess through, are banned in this household. Dumbo may be on that banned list as well. Anything to do with animals hurt or dying is a big no no for this house.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:11 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,938,675 times
My son did not like movies at all as a child. We never really figured out what bothered him about it, but he typically refused to go see a movie regardless of how popular it was with all of his friends. When he was about 12 years old, this began to improve and he would go willingly to an occasional movie. He is now almost 18 and would see a movie a week if he could afford it!

Old 12-31-2010, 12:35 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
I wouldn't worry so much about her not wanting to watch movies. I'd be more concerned about how the sisters refuse to do anything without the other.

They need to get over that, especially since each are missing out on things if the other can't or won't do something via not being invited or not being interested. It's great they have such a built in everyday friendship but not at the expense of having other friends and other experiences without each other. God forbid one sister dies someday. The remaining sister wouldn't know how to function.

I'd start separting them slowly. Start with quality parent time trips. For instance, one parent can take the one who likes to the movies and the other parent can take the other to the zoo. I'd so this as regularly as possible, like weekly, even if it's doing something free like one going for a walk in the park with one parent while the other rides bikes with the other parent somewhere else.

Read up on how families with twins handle this. Even though they aren't twins, I'm sure this attachment is more common among twins and there's probably lots of information out there on how to encourage independence of one another.

Last edited by Hopes; 12-31-2010 at 12:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting