Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 12:57 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,880,445 times

Advertisements

There is nothing wrong with the decision of not having children.
I myself don't want children either.
I enjoy sleeping in, relaxing, my free time ect........ You cant sleep in and do what you want when you have kids ect.........

Some people want kids and some people don't it's as simple as that. There's no right or wrong either way.The choice is entirely up to you and your husband.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 05:22 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,808,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig121 View Post
Its absolutely fine to not have kids. It means now that the extra burden on society has been wiped clean and clear.
The above is pure garbage. Complete, unadulterated, perfect garbage from an ignorant mind.

I think we have exhausted the constructive phase of this thread.

Old 07-04-2009, 05:37 PM

416 posts, read 408,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
The above is pure garbage. Complete, unadulterated, perfect garbage from an ignorant mind.

I think we have exhausted the constructive phase of this thread.
Just say you disagree with what I said, don't act all high and mighty.

Please.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:21 AM

18,737 posts, read 33,440,740 times
I have simply said, "Don't wanna, never wanted. For myself, I've never seen anything remotely appealing about being a parent."
I think "being a parent" is a more objective phrase or idea than "having kids" or "having a baby." What the parent-to-be is embarking on is becoming a parent, living the life of a parent. It's totally different from living life without being a parent. It's a huge lifestyle choice, and has been a given for zillions of years. So it isn't really about whether people "like kids" or "want to hold babies or not," but do you want to live the life of a parent, with the more-known downsides and more subjective, personal pluses. Certainly many people say they didn't particularly "like kids" but deeply love their kids- a mysterious process.
Thank you for letting me post here.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:12 PM

13 posts, read 23,446 times
Having or not having children is a very personal choice. Don't let anyone else make it for you. I realized many years ago that I did not want to be a parent and I've been thankful every day that I didn't. I don't hate kids or anything like that, I just don't want any.

A note regarding non-childed people who refer to parents as breeders - these are people who have nothing better to do than complain. They're also a pack of hypocrites but that's another story. Try to ignore them and eventually they'll go away.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:25 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,922,581 times
This discussion reminds me of my best friend. She has never wanted children--knew that early on, even though she is great with kids (especially mine!). And then at 30 she had emergency surgery and now she can never have kids. She hated the nurses who all looked at her with pity and kept giving her condolences!

However, the baby thing is such a hormonal thing, so that she did end up feeling a little remorse at the situation. Even though she has never wanted children, she felt a little sad at losing her ability to continue to have that choice.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:16 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,827,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Before this forum I had zero issues with people who choose not to have children. But after being called a breeder so many times I am now thinking about childfree-by-choice people as equal to racists.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:26 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,920,553 times
[quote=suzie02;9599924]Before this forum I had zero issues with people who choose not to have children. But after being called a breeder so many times I am now thinking about childfree-by-choice people as equal to racists.[/quote]

Having never referred to those with children as breeders but very much childfree by choice, am I considered a racist by you or is it only ones that use that word? Not trying to be snarky but trying to find out if you feel this way about everyone that has no children.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:36 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,850,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breji View Post
I just want to get some positives and negatives about having or not having kids. We have no desire to have kids and both have never dreamed about having kids, but our families are pressuring us...like it's the thing to do. Don't take me wrong, I'm actually good with kids. My husband and I like to sleep in on our days off, enjoy not being stressed about money with our double incomes, spend time going to church and just hanging out together, love our dogs and spend a lot of time with the two of them. We don't feel as if we are missing something, but deep inside it feels creepy thinking of lying in a hospital bed at age 75 with no one visiting. If we had kids, we would have to go to one income and have to watch every penny because we could no longer afford the lifestyle we have now. We would have an emergency fund, but would not have a lot left over at the end of the month for saving. My sister has been married with kids and she is a stay at home mom. They only have $5,000 in an emergency fund and she has no retirement. Her husband only has the retirement he has through work. They are in their late 30's. That scares me, it doesn't sound like enough. There must be some great joys and benefits from having children that outweigh watching every penny and having a great retirement account...right?
No one can make that decision for you...however, you don't seem comfortable with the "no children" decision. If you were, there wouldn't be this thread!

I will just say to you that no amount of money, no career, nothing, touches the joy my children bring to me. Nothing. Period. My true happiness, peace, joy and contentment come from being a mother. Money and a career are great but mean nothing to me without my kids.

Somehow, my family makes it on a limited budget. We make the best of what we have and live modestly. We are happy with that. We have more debt than we probably should. Oh well!

My kids though, priceless.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:31 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,755,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillz View Post
Having never referred to those with children as breeders but very much childfree by choice, am I considered a racist by you or is it only ones that use that word? Not trying to be snarky but trying to find out if you feel this way about everyone that has no children.
First of all I said "equal to racist" not racist. Second my own sister doesn't want children and I have no issues with that. I have an issue with the insults and the attitude of superiority some people have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting