Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 07:37 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,695,522 times

Advertisements

I agree. Your doing the right steps. Another thing might help...does your son see you reading your Bible? Even though he may not act like he's getting it...you just never know how much he is getting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 10:02 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,707,580 times
I'm an atheist but I think what that daycare worker did was completely out of line. I would not appreciate that any more than someone witnessing. Either is inappropriate given the environment.

I'm hoping you took that up with the administration? At the very least, the person should be taken aside and offered a polite suggestion to keep that sort of thing to herself.

Oh, as a child, my father used to read passages to me before bedtime. And I had a children's bible.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:39 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,554,281 times
Religion is a way of life, not just certain specific beliefs.

If you are Christian, I see no problem you rearing your child according to your beliefs. I do not agree the view to teach children about different religions, you teach them the way of life you live according to your beliefs.

The point is that they grow up respecting a higher being as you think are his precepts.
Later your child may change his mind, that is OK but at least you laid a moral foundation you think was best for him.

If they ask questions that put your beliefs to the test and even question your beliefs, that is OK. Here is where you can show you are open minded and respect his curiosity and that he has a mind of his own and you are respecting his wish to find his own path in life and his own truth.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 06-05-2009, 03:50 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,283,607 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmngrl8203 View Post
I dont know if this is the right place or not or if I should go to the religion forum but its a parenting kinda question. I am trying to figure out how to teach my son about Jesus/God. I have read him stories from a childrens bible and taken him to church and talk to him about it in general but it doesn't seem like he understands, its just another storybook to him. He will be going to a Christian school in the fall but it really got put in forefront when he came home from daycare and told me his teacher told him God is dead. So when do they really start understanding religion and have I taught him enough for now or what?

Just correct the negative that the teacher says (touchy though), the best
that you can do, you seem to have done already, buy a bunch of Veggietales
and let him watch those and Noggin ' something benign, staying away from
violent role playing games and movies, he's young so he will be okay,
Bless you for training your child now , he will most likely not depart from it
just keep loving him and setting an example by your behavior so that he won't see any contradictions at home
God Bless you

Old 06-05-2009, 03:56 PM

275 posts, read 707,940 times
We are Jewish and plan on (when he is older) teaching him about tolerance and respect for all religions. Many of our friends are Pagan, Christian and Muslim. We even have a few atheist friends. Even though we are Jewish, I do plan on letting him follow whatever path is best suited for him.

As a child Christianity was forced down my throat and during my teens I was very resentful of the side of my family who did this. As I got older I learned that there are always going to be those who don't understand, are pushy with their beliefs, etc... That doesn't mean we have to be. Tolerance is a must. Especially when quite a few of his "uncles" are homosexuals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting