Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 05:35 AM

467 posts, read 983,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
How directly does it have to be? Run into your mailbox - run over your dog - run a stop light and kill someone? What is your threshold for "your own business"?

Puhleez - let's all stop worrying about being the popular fun neighbor parent and be known as the "not on my watch"
As long as you don't mind cleaning eggs off your house and cars and climbing your roof and trees to get the toilet paper off, then its cool with me lol

Also the risk of those overly protective parents that get offended and then you have this air of hostility all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 05:39 AM

969 posts, read 2,851,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMom2 View Post
As long as you don't mind cleaning eggs off your house and cars and climbing your roof and trees to get the toilet paper off, then its cool with me lol
Every time I see the 6 o'clock news and people say "we thought the kids were ok - a little black and blue - we thought they were just accident prone" I want to say WHY DIDN't ANYONE SPEAK UP??

I'll take a little TP and eggs so I can sleep at night.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:19 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,900,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Perhaps you could remark on how quiet the party at her house was and how well behaved everyone was, given the size of the party, and that they even brought a large barrel for clean-up.
Love it!

Old 07-02-2009, 08:30 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
How directly does it have to be? Run into your mailbox - run over your dog - run a stop light and kill someone? What is your threshold for "your own business"?

Puhleez - let's all stop worrying about being the popular fun neighbor parent and be known as the "not on my watch"
On your day off, why don't you take out your cellphone and call 911 with the license number of every car that is going over the speed limit, or rolls through a stop sign? Isn't that "your own business"? Report jaywalkers.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:41 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Why do some folks here have reservations about an "adult to adult" conversation letting another parent know what is going on yet have no trouble telling that same adult to go ahead and "parent" another child

Of course you should tell the mother what is up, as one other poster noted, what is your motivation NOT TO TELL?

Personally, I would want to know and would not have the slightest reservation letting a neighbor parent know the same information.

I thought we were well past the age of "harmless" drinking parties for teens.

teens drink, teens drive, teens die.....happens every day and I for one would not want to have to live with myself if something happened to a teen at the next keg party this teen has if the mother remains unaware....
My way of dealing with the situation would be to address the young woman directly, which I consider a form of "adult to adult" conversation. I do not consider it parenting. You obviously see things differently.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:52 AM

969 posts, read 2,851,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
On your day off, why don't you take out your cellphone and call 911 with the license number of every car that is going over the speed limit, or rolls through a stop sign? Isn't that "your own business"? Report jaywalkers.
You mean I shouldn't?

Maybe it is an age thing - when I was a teenager I would have been highly pissed off at the tattletale neighbor - now I am the old lady who yells at the kids on my lawn (not really - but you know what I mean)

Old 07-02-2009, 08:53 AM

821 posts, read 2,037,670 times
I think when it comes to things like this - this is the question to ask yourself if my underaged daughter has a house full of people drinking beer from a keg... who knows what else they had on them that is better concealed like a vodka bottles... would you want to know????

I know I certainly would want to know... as good call on calling the cops :-)

Old 07-02-2009, 09:23 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,383,947 times
I would want my neighbor to tell me if my kid(s) had a keg party when I was out of town. It would definitely prove to me that my kids were not mature enough to be left alone and you can bet I wouldn't give them additional opportunities to get in trouble.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:26 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,030,601 times
I would tell her. My little brother had a party in my house and didn't tell me. I was pissed when I found out. I had to clean up after them, too. (she probably already knows. Parents always know).

Old 07-02-2009, 09:29 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,223,727 times
I would avoid calling the cops if possible. I would worry less about the concealed vodka. I would be more concerned about date rap drugs, people ripping stuff off or getting a pretty good lay out of the house to come back later. So, I think the parents deserve a heads up on that.

And I would walk over and tell the parents myself. I see no need to resort to childish games to get it done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting