Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 06:43 PM

436 posts, read 1,523,301 times

Advertisements

My 15 yo asked me last night if he could go to a party tonite. He wanted to stay until 10:00 and I said ok because it was a party. His regular cerfew is 6:00. When I asked him for the party parent's phone number so I could call and verify this with them, he said ok, then later confessed that it wasn't really a party and he just wanted to stay at the house later. So I was mad about being lied to and said he must be home at 6:00.

So today at 4:50 he calls me from the house and says the parents ordered a pizza and want him to stay for dinner. I said ok and come home after your done. Well it's now 8:30 and he just walked through the door as I'm typing this with a BS story about how the pizza didn't come until late and they just finished eating it.

So here is what I need advice on: He has had plans for the past couple of weeks to go to Six Flags with his friends on Saturday. Would it be overreacting to ground him from that? He is certainly grounded for the rest of the week anyway but it don't know if I should still let him go on sat.

Now, this is the first time he has been late coming home. If this was a pattern I would not be on here asking this, I would just cancel the Six flags.

Advice please

Last edited by mamom1; 08-11-2009 at 06:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 06:46 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
I would call the parents - if his story was true Six Flags would be okay. But, im a pushover and not a disciplinarian.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:03 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Well see, the problem is he asked you every step of the way and you said yes. Now you're upset because it's not what you expected. He is working you and you are playing along. You never said be home by such and such a time, you just assumed he understood what you meant. He most likely absolutely understood it but since you weren't clear it's very difficult to enforce. I would sit down and have a very clear discussion with him about your expectations and next time be very literally clear. "yes you may stay for dinner but you must be home by XX" or, if you wanted him home then just say "no, I'm sorry, not this time. You need to come home now."

ETA - the punishment for lying should have happened after the "it's a party" lie...he should not have been allowed to go over there period. Once you let him go at that point you lost control of the situation. I personally would not involve the other parents. It is not their responsibility. It puts them in an awkward position after the fact.

Last edited by maciesmom; 08-11-2009 at 07:43 PM..

Old 08-11-2009, 07:08 PM

95 posts, read 178,172 times
I'm not sure I would yank six flags... especially if he hasn't done this before.
I would sit down and talk to him and try to find out why he felt like he had to lie to you.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:14 PM

751 posts, read 2,481,145 times
I would find out what the big deal was that he just had to be there so late for. Simple call to the other parent is all that takes. But unless something bad was going on, I don't think I would yank six flags.

But to me 6 is kinda early for a 15 year old, so I may be biased.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:28 PM

106 posts, read 383,381 times
I too would call the other parents and see if the late pizza story is true. If it is, then o.k. But, if that's two lies in two days....NO way he'd be going to Six Flags....he'd be having fun doing extra chores all weekend instead.

My bet is that story is less than 100% true...if it were, he would have just called you.

BTW...I wouldn't let that first lie go unpunished either...although I probably wouldn't yank Six Flags for that one alone.

...I may be more "mean" than many:-)

Last edited by jbar; 08-11-2009 at 07:37 PM..

Old 08-11-2009, 07:32 PM

1,122 posts, read 2,316,808 times
Lots of parents expect a 6 oclock home time. They like to have supper together as often this is the only time the family gets together. Plus there is all that media and marketing to the family dinner as to the reduction in crimes, drug use, teen pregnancy, as it leads to daily conversation which leads to continous open lines of communication. My sister does this and she sometimes lets her kids go out again with a later 10 pm curfew but they always must be home for dinner.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:54 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,010,426 times
6pm curfew at 15? You really want him to be an antisocial with no friends? Forget that be at home for family dinner time crap, thats stuff for 10 year olds. You should be happy he has a family, not worried about him eating his meatloaf and vegetables. I'd say his staying out past your curfew is his way of telling you that he's not a baby anymore and setting unreasonable rules and boundries isn't going to work.

I suggest you loosen up and work with him instead of against him. Telling a kid that age to be in that early WILL push him away from you.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:58 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
6pm curfew at 15? You really want him to be an antisocial with no friends? Forget that be at home for family dinner time crap, thats stuff for 10 year olds. You should be happy he has a family, not worried about him eating his meatloaf and vegetables. I'd say his staying out past your curfew is his way of telling you that he's not a baby anymore and setting unreasonable rules and boundries isn't going to work.

I suggest you loosen up and work with him instead of against him. Telling a kid that age to be in that early WILL push him away from you.
While I tend to agree that 6 seems early during the summer, we don't know the OP's situation or that of her son. She was simply asking what to do about his behavior.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:06 PM

106 posts, read 383,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post

Whether the curfew is too early is something that the OP could certainly discuss with her son....when he's old enough to be trusted without lying. I agree that 6 PM is pretty early for 15 (unless it's a school night), but if he's lying, he may not be ready for the responsibility...only the parents can know that. If "his way of telling you" his feelings is lying and staying out past curfew, he needs to learn another way to communicate that won't get him grounded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting