Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 01:48 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,129,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
Perhaps your piano teacher is saying wonderful things to keep her job? Just a thought.

Did your son request these lessons? I think 5 years old is too young for most children. I know 10 year old's who are requesting lessons and the age seems more appropriate.
Ugh. As a former piano teacher, I can honestly say that I NEVER said "wonderful things" about a student unless the student actually was wonderful. Certainly never did that to keep a job.

There is nothing worse IMHO than having a student who has absolutely no interest in piano lessons. I only had a couple of students like that and I made no qualms about being blunt with the parents (and sometimes the students depending on the age) and "divorcing" myself from those situations. I wasn't making enough money to sit through 30 & 60 minute lessons with sullen students who hadn't practiced and were hating every moment while wasting MY time and their parents' money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 04:25 AM

467 posts, read 984,664 times
Mozart did his 1st concerto at 5 yrs old, so I'd go with: "No, not too early".

Old 08-01-2009, 07:33 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,928,695 times
I am a parent and a music teacher. I think 5 is a little young for piano lessons but not THAT young. 7 is a good age to start with hour long lessons but half an hour for a younger child is better.

The teacher is doing the right thing by continuing to develop his ear by using singing. Ear training is a very important skill for all musicians, especially piano players. You want to develop ALL his musical skills and ear training is the most difficult to develop. Singing is the best way for really young kids to develop this skill. As long as he enjoys the additional activities they are NOT a waste of time.

As for expense $14 per half hour is super cheap. I charge $40 per hour. I pay my son's piano teacher $40 per hour. I pay my son's drum teacher $50 per hour.

There must be other music teachers out there.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:35 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,928,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
Perhaps your piano teacher is saying wonderful things to keep her job? Just a thought.

Did your son request these lessons? I think 5 years old is too young for most children. I know 10 year old's who are requesting lessons and the age seems more appropriate.
Most teachers won't do this. I am not saying there aren't ANY who won't but most are honest with students and parents. Teaching music to a child who wants to learn is a joy. Teaching music to a child who does not want to learn is like sticking needles in your eyes.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:25 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,135,476 times
Piano Teachers are as abundant as backyard hairstylists. They will all tell you how their experts and to do what they tell you.
A disipline such as piano playing is not something to introduce to child less than 7yrs at most.
Unless, the plan is to avail as some kind of "neat toy" don't bother, or wait.
I have studied with some of the finest in the world and of course taught as well
and can easily testify that this approach can really dampen intrest that could of been rather magical.
A rather magical and focused allure is what is required to find practice worth while
over time.
Do you want to sacrifice the leverage of focused allure because when the attention span developes the ordeal is quite routine.
Theres many aspects of what you put forward however this is my opinion and roughly whats explained to good parents hoping for the best.
PS Theres a reason why allgebra is not covered in grade 4

Old 11-25-2009, 01:18 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,141,054 times
ya know-not everybody can become a piano player. While I think it is great to expose our kids to things like that, most will let us know in due time they just aren't interested. I think starting too early will do alot of harm.
My kids started at 6 and 8. The eight year old just did not care. it was a waste of time and money for him even tho he did end up playing the clarinet in high school. the 6 year old ended up majoring in music in college and playing the piano today as an adult is her primary tension release. But she never had to be told to practice and taught herself the entire score from Annie simply because it was fun. Neither her father or mother has a lick of musical talent....

Old 11-25-2009, 04:08 PM

88,654 posts, read 84,943,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueimo View Post
wanted to ask if it's too early for a 5 year old to learn piano?
my 5 year old's piano teacher has been saying wonderful thing about his piano pickup skills, but
I still think that he's having a hard time focusing and to actually
pick up something during the class is really only 10 min.
the teacher is here for about half an hour each time, so the rest of
the time, she needs to entertain him with
singing..etc. she charges $14 per time, but I have been reading over
the web that
it's much more efficient to have a 7 yr old learn instead of a 5. maybe I should at least cut down
the lessons like every other week, instead
of every week? or just wait till he's 7 to start?
Something I remember from when I first became a Daisy (girl scouts) leader was that five-year-olds have an attention span of about 20 minutes, so we had to remember that when planning activities.

But then again, they say Mozart was only 4 when he wrote "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star".

Old 11-26-2009, 10:44 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,865,534 times
I've heard from a pianist that kids should be able to read before they start piano lessons. I'd say about 7 is a good starting age IF your kid seems interested. Mine was for a while but she's still young, so we are waiting until she's older. If she still expresses an interest, we'll do it. I am currently learning how to play guitar and I think my kids are starting to see how cool it is to learn an instrument.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:02 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,276,225 times
It has to be based upon the child and if they're enjoying it and getting anything out of it. I started piano at 5 or 6, can't remember, but it wasn't my only activity. I was also taking dance and riding. It did translate into a love of music and a degree in it.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:08 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,732,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukiko11 View Post
Don't try to teach your child anything that he is not interested in. You job as a parent is to develop his individual skills, not recreate your lost hopes thru him. $14.00 is not a lot of money to most, but you and your son may get more out of mommy and me classes or activity classes that involve the parents with their children than something that does not hold his attention. By all means involve him in any activities that include physical activity and friends.
OH absolutely! I totally agree with your post. I have seen many, many parents who enroll their kids in music lessons because THEY (parent) think it's a good idea. It has nothing to do with the child's interest at all. I am a pianist...I was in 8th grade before I started taking lessons....had been playing on my own for about a year, reading music from books at the house. I had to fight for lessons and took the for less than 1 1/2 years. I learned all I needed to know in that time period. Why? because I wanted to play.....I was passionate about it and that is what I did in my "spare" time.

I was a pianist who played for many, many different places, school choirs, school plays, churches, weddings, funerals, community events, etc. I can't tell you how many parents of small children approached me over the years and asked me if I would be interested in teaching their children. I had a few questions for them. 1) Do you have a piano/good keyboard? (NO...forget it then!) 2) Is your child involved in sports? After school activities? At the daycare until evening hours? (Yes. Forget it then, you're wasting your money..it takes practice, practice, practice) 3) How do you know your child wants to play? (He/she seems to like music and I thought it would be good for them).....Forget it....If you want to learn how to play,then YOU take the lessons! Sorry, but a child should never take music lessons, participate in a sport, etc unless it's THEIR passion, unless it's something that THEY want to try. If you think piano is great, then learn to play. Sorry.....I know it's harsh, but I can't even give you a number on how many people have told me they took lessons for 5, 10, 15 years.....and never got any good at it......or can't even play chopsticks now! Why? Because they were doing something they didn't want to do...and probably weren't even meant to be doing. Frankly, if you have to take piano lessons for more than 5 years, .......well, LOL....never mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting